Beef Short Ribs Recipes?

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
I got a great deal on these but have never made them before. suggestions?

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    On the BBQ grill. Some do it slowly with low heat, and some sear it on a moderately high heat. Either way they are great. I miss the sweat BBQ sauces though. I haven't tried the no-sugar sauces. I hope you bought the fattest ones you could get. The fat drips on the grill or coals and makes a wonderful smoke flavor on the meat.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    You Might Be a Keto Dieter If...
    LCHF is the XXXX (A funny animated explantion of the Keto WOE)
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I made a pretty tasty sauce the other day when I cooked a pork butt in the slow cooker- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce, 1 tbsp brown mustard, 1/4 c apple cider vinegar, 3 packets Truvia, 1 tsp minced/crushed garlic, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp granulated onion, 1 tbsp smoked paprika, 2 tsp chili powder, 2 tsp hot sauce. I figured it as 18 servings, 2 tbsp per serving, so it's pretty low carb and also low in calories, 12 calories and 2.2 carbs (1.8 net) per 2 tbsp serving.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Thanks, y'all. I don't have access to a BBQ grill since I live in an apartment.... Well, we can use the public type that are open at the benches beside the office, but I don't know the first think about charcoal grilling. I've cooked over an open fire (Girl Scouts Camp), but not by myself over charcoal.

@DittoDan - I bought the most marbleized ones I could find - but none of them had major fat layers.

@rkufeke - Sounds decent as a sauce. I'll have to run it by my guy as he is far pickier than I am! LOL
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    On the Low Carbers site, someone else sent that recipe too. Have you used it? Yes, I'm blessed that my dad bought me a good crock pot for Christmas last year... I'm wondering at the flavor profile. I'm thinking about just doing a dry rub and tossing them in the oven, and basting in butter...
  • aleehagen
    aleehagen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There are 2 main kinds of short ribs, English cut and Kalbi cut. English cut are going to typically be cut into one bone sections at about a size of 2" by 3" you do not want to grill these, they are for braising or slow roasting, low and slow is the way to go with English cut.
    Kalbi are usually going to be cross-cut to 1/4-1/2 inch thickness, these are great marinated and then quickly grilled or seared in a hot cast iron skillet. Hope this helps.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited April 2015
    Options
    These were the second cut... I ended up doing a dry rub and added some pats of butter, and they got really weird/dry (despite flipping/basting & foil) and came out tasting like pot roast. We split the batch in half and my guy used A-1 & Worcestershire sauce to fix his (which tasted like straight vinegar to me), and I just added a buillion cube because the rub had no salt apparently and some butter, which was awesome for me!