That's It!!! I've had it!

Options
I am going to do it. I am going to up my calories to something at least close to what all the calculators out there say I should be eating to lose 1.5 a week. I am tired of being tired, of not feeling like I am putting everything into my workouts. Tired of freaking out whenever I eat something because it takes away from this arbitrary number on a screen. Yes, I am scared I might gain, because even a pound or two will cause issue with the transplant team. But....I am not losing really anyway....I have a month and a half to see if this will help or hurt. My work outs are getting consistently more intense, I need to fuel them as such. Thanks to those that have tried to ease my fears about this. Thanks for letting me put this out there!

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You should do what you feel your body needs. Hope you work it out.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm rooting for you.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    This is taking a long time for me but it IS making a difference Some days I am simply not hungry, but today, SO hungry and so, I am just going to eat. My shortcut to check if I am doing ok is to add my carbs and protein together at each meal and see if that total is less than my fat grams. It really keeps me on track. Good luck.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    This is taking a long time for me but it IS making a difference Some days I am simply not hungry, but today, SO hungry and so, I am just going to eat. My shortcut to check if I am doing ok is to add my carbs and protein together at each meal and see if that total is less than my fat grams. It really keeps me on track. Good luck.

Yes! Some days I am not very hungry at all...and others, well... Don't get between me and my hamburger! So, going to watch the carbs, cause I have been creepin..but add 300 cal to my daily total, to see if that helps.
  • adamthompson2006
    adamthompson2006 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and good luck! Let us know how you're doing with your upped calories!
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    I am still not sure this is a good idea. I am no longer going to log exercise calories and just eat the daily allowance regardless of burn. That's how it works, right?
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I am still not sure this is a good idea. I am no longer going to log exercise calories and just eat the daily allowance regardless of burn. That's how it works, right?

That's what I do, I never log my exercise (sometimes my activity tracker does though). When I upped my calories to 1400 from 1200 I didn't feel the need to eat back exercise calories anymore. But some people like to eat some back on their heavy exercise days.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Only if you calculate your calories based on your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). If you're consistently working out, then you can set your calories based on your TDEE (set your activity level in MFP) and not log your exercise.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    But I thought you set your activity level without consideration for formal exercise? See...this is where I get confused. I do get at least 5-6 sometimes 7 hours of exercise a week, consistently.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I set mine goal at betwen 15-20% of my 30 day avg TDEE (gives some leeway).

My goal is set at 1700 calories.

Some days I don't even come close to that (movie marathon on the sofa yesterday) so I just make sure to eat my BMR (1400 ish). Other days, I eat the 1700 and then some.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Another thought to consider on the not really losing part...are you doing too much and putting your body under severe stress because of that?
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    Options
    @sljohnson1207 that could very well be the case
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    But I thought you set your activity level without consideration for formal exercise? See...this is where I get confused. I do get at least 5-6 sometimes 7 hours of exercise a week, consistently.

You can do it either way, just as long as you don't double-count it.

I agree with @sljohnson1207, I think you're overdoing the exercise, especially if that's intense exercise. And if it's intense exercise, then not fueling your body sufficiently is going to make things even worse.

Sarah Fragoso of Everyday Paleo has talked about her experience with exercise-induced adrenal fatigue. She talks a lot about it in both writing and podcast. It's well worth a listen and read:

http://everydaypaleo.com/paleo-talk-episode-20/
    http://www.norcalsc.com/you-can-do-it-all-or-can-you/
  • mpantsari
    mpantsari Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am new to this forum, new to LCHF eating, and very intrigued by the differences between men and women with this diet.

I am a Gastroenterologist, and have been working with a number of severely overweight patients using nutritional ketosis to help address their severe insulin resistance. It does seem, just like sljohnson mentioned above, that for some women on LCHF diets (<20-50g/d of carbs), too low carb, calorie, or protein can put your body in a starvation mode that really does begin to "preserve itself" by stopping normal hormonal production (thyroid, adrenal, sex hormones, etc).

I am, in no way, an expert on this issue. However, if you are stuck in a rut, loosening your carb and calorie restriction, lightening up on energy expenditure, and ensuring you are resting would all be good starts.

For the forum, I would very much be interested in your experiences with this (especially the women) so your anectodal experiences can be helpful with my practice.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Welcome, doc! Just curious -- why would it be a bigger problem for women than men? Would a saliva cortisol test be useful to monitor during the diet?
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    @mpantsari ---Whoa! A doctor who wants to LISTEN and help? Sir, you are rare. Never met one before....
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Also rooting for you Iam.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Probably the best anecdotal evidence we have here are all the people who say they started losing weight when they raised their calorie intake. That should lower cortisol. Not many people seem willing to raise their carb intake, but that should help too. As well as taking it easy on intense exercise (where "intense" seems to be a HR > 130 or so).
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Probably the best anecdotal evidence we have here are all the people who say they started losing weight when they raised their calorie intake. That should lower cortisol. Not many people seem willing to raise their carb intake, but that should help too. As well as taking it easy on intense exercise (where "intense" seems to be a HR > 130 or so).
    I increased my calories by 200/day last week, and have lost more this week than I did in the 4 weeks before!
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've upped mine to 1500 yesterday and am not going to eat exercise calories, I haven't lost for 3 weeks