New here. I eat when I'm bored

Options
GabinkaP
GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
Hi, I'm Gabinka. I tend to snack when I'm bored or tired. Which happens a lot at work. When I had the privilege of working from home 1 day a week, I snacked WAY less on that day. I was able to watch TV, do other things in between support calls. Here at the office, I'm trying to come up with things to keep me going without reaching for the snack bag. Though I think I'm going to snack now. It's nearly 2pm and I haven't snacked once today! Yay, me!

Replies

• DeberryL
    DeberryL Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello I'm Lynn and yes I eat when bored or alone. My worst time of day is at bedtime. My roommate goes to bed early, up early....I am a night owl. At certain times I take in more calories after bedtime than I do all day. She also works 24 hour shifts and those days are hard as well. Simply boredom!! We have been dieting and exercising together (she is preparing for gastric sleeve procedure) and she is on her own losing more than me. I don't qualify for the surgery, but terribly overweight for my height and bone structure!!
  • GabinkaP
    Options
    I'm trying to get up and move when I'm not really hungry but wanting a snack. So far (a whole 2 days in), it's going well. My husband is the late night snacker. Now he'll have to go to bed early to start his new job. He'll have to be in at 6 or 6:30am starting next Monday. I'm a night owl. But I don't snack late at night. Unless I'm actually really hungry. Usually I'm not. But I do like to have dessert, even if I'm not hungry and that's not great for losing weight either.
  • malika1976
    malika1976 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    At work, I drink lots of herbal tea. It helps me not to eat, and keeps me hydrated. I also find it helpful to make my lunch at home with pre-prepared snacks in sensible portions and stick to them. You could also change what you're snacking on. My office mate is tiny but I used to be surprised at the amount of biscuits she ate (maybe cookies for Americans). She was eating a packet a day. She decided to stop eating them and now eats heaps of apples instead - usually 5 apples a day. In a month, she's lost 5kg. (Only problem is the sound of her eating apples all the time can get annoying and I'm surprised she doesn't get hives).
  • GabinkaP
    Options
    Tea, huh? There's an idea. I do need sugar in my tea though. I have a little 4 cup water heater here at work. I carry one pouch of hot chocolate with me and one tea a day. Sometimes I have one or the other. Maybe I should have both. I do feel I don't have to snack for a bit when I have one. It's almost like a snack to me, I guess.
  • malika1976
    malika1976 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'd be drinking all 4 cups of hot water - which is about half of the eight glasses you need a day. I suggest experimenting with herbal teas. Licorice tea is really sweet (definitely don't add sugar) but only has 0 - 10 calories per cup depending on brand. I drink lemon and ginger tea a lot. I used to drink sugar in coffee but have weaned myself off it and now find coffee with sugar undrinkable, so maybe try reducing your sugar gradually or replacing with stevia which has less effect on blood sugar levels than sugar or artificial sweetener. The other tea I'm into at the moment is vanilla and rooibos. It seems sweet although it has no sugar, and is caffeine free.
  • GabinkaP
    Options
    I'll have my husband buy Spenda or Stevia this weekend. (He's doing the shopping for a change.) I've got some new Chocolate tea. Maybe that will be good, too.
  • ahealthiercara
    ahealthiercara Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I agree on the tea suggestion. I also drink Numi Savory Teas - they're like drinking a vegetable broth and I find it really satisfying.
  • GabinkaP
    Options
    I drank 2 cups of tea (used the tea bag twice, 2nd time with half the sugar because it was weaker) and I haven't had any of my snacks today. Just breakfast and lunch and those teas. So I agree, it helps.
  • iona_ellen
    iona_ellen Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree with the tea, i drink lots of green teas, they make a noticeable difference :)