Sore throat (swollen tonsils) and low carb diet, any experience?

Options
She68915
She68915 Posts: 19 Member
Dear all. Hi again.
Weeks ago I was dealing with upper respiratory tract infection while having severe sore throat and swollen tonsils.Then I was prescribed antibiotics for 10 days. I finished them, although my body really reacted so bad to them, I was having nausea all the time, couldn't eat anything, which as my doctor said, made my immune system very weak not to be able to beat bacteria itself. Since final week of march, I was feeling so well, and back to normal life.
Then I decided to go back on diet and sport. Thanks to this great group, I have started controlling my carb intake ( keeping it in range of 70 -150 gr) over the last ten days and I am really happy and I already can see the change in my body.

But since yesterday, I am feeling fatigue again and my severe sore throat is back. I searched for "Keto Flu" symptoms and sore throat was mentioned by only by few people and was linked to dehydration or Ph imbalance. My tonsils are swollen again and I am very scared to experience those hard time again and I dont want to quit my diet. I am thinking maybe I still had the bacteria but now they are again activated due to changes in my diet. I am sure if I go back to my doctor right now, he will again start the same speech about how I am weakening my immune system by my way of eating :disappointed:
Have you experienced sore throat during your diet?
(Please tell me you had the same experience, it is normal, and it just disappear in few days as your body get used to the diet, please, please, please. :D)

Many thanks in advance for any advice :smile:

Replies

• m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I get sore throats throughout the day even though I am adapted. I typically contribute it to being thirsty. I can't help you on the swollen tonsils though. If you do go back in, don't tell him you've lowered carbs. Force him to not be lazy and to address the actual problem at hand, a recurring bacterial infection. The lower carbs have nothing to do with the bacteria. Your immune system is weaker in the first couple of weeks of any diet. Yes, even the one where you just eat everything in moderation. It's also weaker the first couple of weeks of a new exercise program. It's possible the infection didn't really go away. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just a theory (and not a very good one). Your body hosts many bacteria. Some of them metabolize sugar. The species everybody knows about are the bacteria that live on your teeth, metabolize sugar, and leave that nasty plaque.

As you decrease sugar/carb intake, something happens. I'm not sure why, but some people break out with acne, some have sinus trouble, some have digestion issues. Then the issues go away, and you feel better than before when you were feeding your bacteria more sugar.

Maybe the sugar-eating bacteria are temporarily displaced by other bacteria? Maybe the immune system gets activated to carry away their dead bodies? I don't really know. Not one of my better theories. :)
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your going through a rough time at the moment. Swollen tonsills sound like an infection - do you have white spots on them also? This would be an indication of tonsilitis. Go to your doctor.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've not had this problem myself, but I've heard similar symptoms can be attributed to yeast die-off. Yeast issues are exacerbated by antibiotic use and fed by glucose (my understanding), so it makes sense that the antibiotics you were taking could have set you up for a yeast overgrowth, fed by the additional carbs you were consuming, and now back on low carb the yeast cells are dying off and causing you problems.

Like Wabmester above though, just my theory... ;-) Maybe add some apple cider vinegar daily until things settle down?
  • She68915
    edited April 2015
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »
    I get sore throats throughout the day even though I am adapted. I typically contribute it to being thirsty. I can't help you on the swollen tonsils though. If you do go back in, don't tell him you've lowered carbs. Force him to not be lazy and to address the actual problem at hand, a recurring bacterial infection. The lower carbs have nothing to do with the bacteria. Your immune system is weaker in the first couple of weeks of any diet. Yes, even the one where you just eat everything in moderation. It's also weaker the first couple of weeks of a new exercise program. It's possible the infection didn't really go away. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water throughout the day.

@m_puppy : Yes, very good advice. I think my doctor had to change my antibiotics when in 5th day of my illness I came back to him with very bad health condition, much worse than before I started taking antibiotics. But he just re-prescribed them and added some vitamins helping me to fight them myself :)))). I will go tomorrow again and definitely follow your tip. Thanks
    wabmester wrote: »
    Just a theory (and not a very good one). Your body hosts many bacteria. Some of them metabolize sugar. The species everybody knows about are the bacteria that live on your teeth, metabolize sugar, and leave that nasty plaque.

As you decrease sugar/carb intake, something happens. I'm not sure why, but some people break out with acne, some have sinus trouble, some have digestion issues. Then the issues go away, and you feel better than before when you were feeding your bacteria more sugar.

Maybe the sugar-eating bacteria are temporarily displaced by other bacteria? Maybe the immune system gets activated to carry away their dead bodies? I don't really know. Not one of my better theories. :)

@wabmester :
    Interesting theory.
    I hope this is my immune system carrying them away. I also hope if there are some sugar eating bacteria over my body, they just get used to the new condition faster or go away as I am not planning to feed them anymore, :)
    Thanks for the ideas, I also will try to follow it up and see whether I can find any relation between them or not.

It sounds like your going through a rough time at the moment. Swollen tonsills sound like an infection - do you have white spots on them also? This would be an indication of tonsilitis. Go to your doctor.
    @thin1dayplease :, Yes that is what scared me today, I think I can see the white spots back on them and at the back of my tongue. It will be really hard, as this condition will have negative impact on my normal life. I am going to my doctor tomorrow. Thanks.
  • She68915
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »
    I've not had this problem myself, but I've heard similar symptoms can be attributed to yeast die-off. Yeast issues are exacerbated by antibiotic use and fed by glucose (my understanding), so it makes sense that the antibiotics you were taking could have set you up for a yeast overgrowth, fed by the additional carbs you were consuming, and now back on low carb the yeast cells are dying off and causing you problems.

Like Wabmester above though, just my theory... ;-) Maybe add some apple cider vinegar daily until things settle down?

@tru2one : I like these hypothesizes that you and Wabmester are proposing. They can be research project topics for biology related students.
    I also read that yeast overgrowth is one of the side effects of taking antibiotics. So maybe your right, they are dying and this is my body carrying them away. I hope so :smile:

Thanks for all suggestions, they all help me to get more familiar with different things associated with carb consumption.

• wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I know from experience that antibiotics often cause a yeast overgrowth. My doctor tells me to eat plain yogurt whenever I take an antibiotic to restore good gut bacteria and help minimize outgrowth of yeast infection on other parts of the body.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Today is my last day on an antibiotic for strep and bronchitis. The last week on meds and being ill totally screwed me up. I'm just now able to do my walking again, and am just barely inside of ketosis, whereas before my blood ketones were 2.0 and higher, now i'm at 0.9 while healing. My glucose is up too because of it. I feel for you. It can really throw you for a loop.
  • She68915
    Options
    I know from experience that antibiotics often cause a yeast overgrowth. My doctor tells me to eat plain yogurt whenever I take an antibiotic to restore good gut bacteria and help minimize outgrowth of yeast infection on other parts of the body.

@wheatlessgirl66 : Yes, I also saw in one article. Good advice, I will eat plain yogurt, as I started taking antibiotics again. Thanks :)
    nill4me wrote: »
    Today is my last day on an antibiotic for strep and bronchitis. The last week on meds and being ill totally screwed me up. I'm just now able to do my walking again, and am just barely inside of ketosis, whereas before my blood ketones were 2.0 and higher, now i'm at 0.9 while healing. My glucose is up too because of it. I feel for you. It can really throw you for a loop.

@nill4me : I am so sorry to hear what you have experienced. I have been there, so annoying. I am happy that u are better already :).
    Unfortunately, today my doctor said that I have the infection back and again prescribed antibiotics. I don't know why I am getting it over and over again but I really hope it doesn't affect my diet and weight.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I passed this thread a few times yesterday but decided to click on it today because, guess what?, my throat hurts. I've noticed this more than once since starting this WOE, most notably if memory serves me when I am first starting out (or returning to) a lower carb goal, but minus any other icky symptoms (meaning I have not been sick recently). I have no idea what it is--maybe not getting enough water like @m_puppy said.... But in your case, since you have recently been ill, I guess I would ask the doctor. Good luck! I hope you feel better quickly!
  • She68915
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    I passed this thread a few times yesterday but decided to click on it today because, guess what?, my throat hurts. I've noticed this more than once since starting this WOE, most notably if memory serves me when I am first starting out (or returning to) a lower carb goal, but minus any other icky symptoms (meaning I have not been sick recently). I have no idea what it is--maybe not getting enough water like @m_puppy said.... But in your case, since you have recently been ill, I guess I would ask the doctor. Good luck! I hope you feel better quickly!

Yes, ur right, my case is different. I am infected again. Maybe it was not the best decision to start dieting right after illness.
    Thank u so much. :smile:

• kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a sore throat in the beginning, but I did get "carb flu" I can tell you, I have been eating under 20g of carbs a day since July and I am the only one in my house that is low carb. My husband and I have 6 kids. Besides a quick lived cold I was the healthiest one this winter. The stomach flu went around my house for a couple months with all the people in my house it was just getting passed around. I did not get it. The same thing happened with a virus that included a sore throat, fever and muscle aches and again I didn't get it. Before this way of eating, I always caught what the kids caught and this year I didn't get sick at all and I contribute that to my new way of eating this year.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    do you snore?
  • She68915
    Options
    I didn't have a sore throat in the beginning, but I did get "carb flu" I can tell you, I have been eating under 20g of carbs a day since July and I am the only one in my house that is low carb. My husband and I have 6 kids. Besides a quick lived cold I was the healthiest one this winter. The stomach flu went around my house for a couple months with all the people in my house it was just getting passed around. I did not get it. The same thing happened with a virus that included a sore throat, fever and muscle aches and again I didn't get it. Before this way of eating, I always caught what the kids caught and this year I didn't get sick at all and I contribute that to my new way of eating this year.

@kristenlarkin : Wow, so interesting. Thanks for the motivation. I just started low carb diet (not as well as 20 g yet), and only in two weeks I can really see improvements in many ways. However, as @m_puppy mentioned earlier, in the beginning weeks of any diet the immune system may get weaker. In addition, I strongly believe this is not just dieting that making my immune system weak, but it is mainly the increasing work stress and pressure over me.

I saw my doctor last week and I am again taking antibiotics. I temporary increased my carb intake a bit to be able to eat 2-3 oranges per day, so I do not have to lie whenever someone call and ask whether I have had enough vitamin C :D.
    Once again, thanks for sharing your great experience, I wish my body get used to it soon as well. :)
    do you snore?

@annieboomboom : No, I usually had calm and peaceful sleep. After this illness I started having very loud and severe coughing just during the night and while sleeping, but was cured as I use cough syrup.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    She68915 wrote: »

@kristenlarkin : Wow, so interesting. Thanks for the motivation. I just started low carb diet (not as well as 20 g yet), and only in two weeks I can really see improvements in many ways. However, as @m_puppy mentioned earlier, in the beginning weeks of any diet the immune system may get weaker. In addition, I strongly believe this is not just dieting that making my immune system weak, but it is mainly the increasing work stress and pressure over me.

I saw my doctor last week and I am again taking antibiotics. I temporary increased my carb intake a bit to be able to eat 2-3 oranges per day, so I do not have to lie whenever someone call and ask whether I have had enough vitamin C :D.
    Once again, thanks for sharing your great experience, I wish my body get used to it soon as well. :)
    do you snore?

@annieboomboom : No, I usually had calm and peaceful sleep. After this illness I started having very loud and severe coughing just during the night and while sleeping, but was cured as I use cough syrup.

Check your cough syrup. They are often full of sugar! That said, I understand that honey and lemon syrup is the only proven remedy against coughs, but won't be helping yeast or your internal bacteria I suppose.
  • She68915
    Options
    She68915 wrote: »

do you snore?

Check your cough syrup. They are often full of sugar! That said, I understand that honey and lemon syrup is the only proven remedy against coughs, but won't be helping yeast or your internal bacteria I suppose.

@totaloblivia: Yes most of them are, but mine is stated to be with no added sugar and it is really sedative and helps me to sleep. I also heard a lot about honey and lemon, I' ll give it a try. Thanks :)
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You might have tonsolliths, tonsil rocks. Antibiotics sort of soothe them and the swelling and soreness abate. Then they come back with a vengeance. The only solution I've found is to pop them out, which is painful in and of itself. I hear you can get a doc to do it though.