Is high fat dangerous for the heart?

Options
2»

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I would love to understand how that works. We know IR can selectively affect different tissues, but if somebody has normal blood sugar, that implies that muscles are not IR. If you have normal TG, that implies that adipose and liver are OK.

Anyway, Korean woman with PCOS seem to correlate with TG a bit:
    http://www.eymj.org/DOIx.php?id=10.3349/ymj.2015.56.3.785

TG correlation with PCOS is largely dependent on a SAD or other higher carb diet. It's part and parcel with our worse lipid levels on that kind of diet.
    If you have normal TG, that implies that adipose and liver are OK.

Taubes tells me I might be wrong. If you have IR, your insulin levels are high. If your liver is normal and other tissues are IR, then the liver will over-secrete TG based on the insulin signal.

So, that seems to imply that if your TG is normal and your insulin is high, then your liver is IR?

The thing with PCOS is that we're often insulin resistant because of hyperinsulinemia, and we have hyperinsulinemia because one or more of our other hormones are out of whack (where it gets complicated is that it could be just about any of the other hormones) and the body is attempting to balance the ratios. We end up in a sort of "death spiral" from a feedback loop. Diabetes medications, like Metformin, can help, because it breaks that feedback loop by making the liver more insulin sensitive (there is speculation that the Metformin actually takes over the communication channels in the liver), prompting it to stop telling the pancreas to make so much insulin. It doesn't always work, though.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Congrats, wheatless! Great progress!

Thank you! :)
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    As you can see, my body is responding well to this WOE. The really concerned relative doesn't quite know what to say.... ;)

Oh wow, Wheatless that's absolutely fantastic, congratulations! And it's truly reassuring for those of us who don't have numbers to compare too.

• Jennym93
    Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    booked in for a fasting blood glucose test and will get my cholesterol tested at the same time, it's on monday, the doctor said nothing about my low carbing and seemed ok with it and agreed it's best to have an updated, starting point since my last one was 18 months ok but she said it was ok
  • Jennym93
    Options
    *updated starting point
    *18 months ago
    Sorry I was rushing
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    We just blame it on the phones...pesky auto-correct! :wink:
  • Jennym93
    Options
    Had my blood taken, asking about my insulin level has left me feeling like a huge idiot (they got confused because I'm not diabetic) but they do not test it and instead I got told my hbac1 was 5.3 back in nov 2013 and I'm not insulin resistant based on that.
    but I need to watch what I eat since I'm high end of normal.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Jennym93 wrote: »
    Had my blood taken, asking about my insulin level has left me feeling like a huge idiot (they got confused because I'm not diabetic) but they do not test it and instead I got told my hbac1 was 5.3 back in nov 2013 and I'm not insulin resistant based on that.

The labs do have a test for it. I encourage you to find a new doctor or find the test number from the lab you go through and ask again. My A1C was 5.5, but my insulin was quite high. My doctor went from "you're fine, there's nothing to do" to "let's get you a referral to an endo" based on the results. Insulin resistance starts as high insulin and normal blood sugar, and LCHF further masks it in the A1C test, because blood sugar levels aren't spiked all the time (but can still be running higher than they should).
  • Jennym93
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

The labs do have a test for it. I encourage you to find a new doctor or find the test number from the lab you go through and ask again. My A1C was 5.5, but my insulin was quite high. My doctor went from "you're fine, there's nothing to do" to "let's get you a referral to an endo" based on the results. Insulin resistance starts as high insulin and normal blood sugar, and LCHF further masks it in the A1C test, because blood sugar levels aren't spiked all the time (but can still be running higher than they should).

I really don't know who to go to any more though. That was a doctor and a nurse telling me they don't test insulin, I might make an appointment with my preferred doctor for the results and explain the situation to her and see what she says
    Is it a UK thing or something!?
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

I really don't know who to go to any more though. That was a doctor and a nurse telling me they don't test insulin, I might make an appointment with my preferred doctor for the results and explain the situation to her and see what she says

Is what a UK thing? Testing insulin? No.

Here is the test information from LabCorp on insulin.

Is refusing to test insulin a UK thing? Perhaps. I'm not British, so I have no idea.

Talk to them about getting your insulin tested. Be assertive and don't take no for an answer. There is a test for it, and it can mean the difference between catching insulin resistance early enough to stave off a Diabetes diagnosis and getting full-blown Diabetes in a few years.
  • Jennym93
    Options

Is what a UK thing? Testing insulin? No.

Here is the test information from LabCorp on insulin.

Is refusing to test insulin a UK thing? Perhaps. I'm not British, so I have no idea.

Talk to them about getting your insulin tested. Be assertive and don't take no for an answer. There is a test for it, and it can mean the difference between catching insulin resistance early enough to stave off a Diabetes diagnosis and getting full-blown Diabetes in a few years.

Yeah I meant not testing insulin, using blood glucose as the sole measure for insulin resistance if that was a UK thing
    anyone else know more about this type of test over here?
    I'll speak with another doctor but if she says no then that's kind of all I've got
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't think that insulin testing is commonly done in the UK (I've never asked for it so I may have this wrong).

It wasn't anything I'd heard of before hanging out on these boards.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I got told my hbac1 was 5.3 back in nov 2013 and I'm not insulin resistant based on that.

Docs prefer to treat sick people rather than prevent disease. You're not sick yet, but at that level and your age, it would be a good idea for you to take it as a sign to REALLY watch your diet, and your sugar/carb level specifically.

Ask yourself what you would do differently if you knew your insulin level.

The A1C on the high side of normal is enough to tell you to stay low carb. Most people interpret that test as saying that your blood sugar has been a bit high over the last few months.

That's true, but it really tells you is how much of your hemoglobin is glycated. Glycated protein is a Bad Thing. Each glycated protein is essentially broken. It's one of the mechanisms responsible for ageing.

What they don't usually tell you is that if your hemoglobin is glycated, that means all proteins in your body -- all the enzymes essential for running the show -- are also glycated to the same extent.

It's not just telling you how bad your blood sugar control is. It's giving you one measure of how much that sugar is slowing killing you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_glycation_end-product

If you reduce your weight and your carb intake, you're doing the Right Thing to prevent future health problems.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I got told my hbac1 was 5.3 back in nov 2013 and I'm not insulin resistant based on that.

Ask yourself what you would do differently if you knew your insulin level.

Well for starters, start taking Metformin and/or Inositol to help bring those insulin levels down. She has PCOS also, and with PCOS your insulin wont usually lower with diet alone. High insulin messes up your hormones, your periods, your ability to have children etc so getting it under control as soon as you can is very important.