Am I doing it all wrong?

Options
linux40
linux40 Posts: 127 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
Hi,
Been doing 5:2 for a month now and lost about 1,5 kg (approx 3 lbs). That`s just too little to keep me wanting to continue this. Now, I need to ask you guys if I might have fallen into the big and no-good temptation. I do count calories, also on the days I`m not fasting.
In my head, I thought I have to (due to my hypothyroidism)....so I´m fasting 2 days, eating 500 calories, and the other days I`m eating approx 1400 calories...
This might be a bit too low...and I guess I shouldn`t count calories at all the days I´m not fasting..?
I know I´m not doing this by the book, as I count all week long...Could this be the reason for just loosing like 0.3 kg pr week??

Please enlighten me, folks...I need it! ;)

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You're doing fine, and 3 pounds in a month is spot on - well done!

Most people count on their non-fast days too, it's very easy to overeat if you don't. Those should be around your maintenance or TDEE level.
  • linux40
    Options

Most people count on their non-fast days too, it's very easy to overeat if you don't. Those should be around your maintenance or TDEE level.

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I know I´ve lost weight, I`m just sooo impatient ;)
    I didn`t know it was ok to count on the other days as well...Phew, that`s a relief. Thanks. But if I should be around my maintenance level, which is 1900 cal, I`m eating way to little....I`m eating approx 1400 daily....I guess I need to eat more. Could that help me lose a bit more every week?

• cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    linux40 wrote: »

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I know I´ve lost weight, I`m just sooo impatient ;)
    I didn`t know it was ok to count on the other days as well...Phew, that`s a relief. Thanks. But if I should be around my maintenance level, which is 1900 cal, I`m eating way to little....I`m eating approx 1400 daily....I guess I need to eat more. Could that help me lose a bit more every week?

You may well need to up your cals on a couple of non fast days, my tdee is over 2200 and I get to that once or twice a week, so that I don't feel deprived which is the whole point of 5:2, well apart from all the health benefits. There have been other threads about how mfp calorie allowance can be generous and we are all different. Are you exercising? That helps boost stuff. But one of the issues with 5:2 is that the weight loss is not linear, its very up and down so you need to step away from the scale every day and use other measures. But it does work and you can have a bad diet day and its ok cos you can fast tomorrow x
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    If you have hypothyroidism all the normal metabolic pathways are out the window. Cause it's a hormone dysregulation. 1.5 kg in 4 weeks might sound slow, but taking in your medical condition. Is 1.5 kg loss bad compared to no loss or gain?

You might have to rethink your tdee. It's based on people with normal metabolism. Consult with doctor or adequate nutrion advice specific for your condition.
  • linux40
    Options
    Thank you so much all of you. So helpful. I guess I need to up my cals a bit yes, 1400 is too little even with my hypo, I guess. What would be better - like 1700 cals a day e.g?..or not counting at all? Please advice me!
    Yes, I have hypo, but on medication, and I know my metabolism is slow. I do work out a little, not too much, mainly walking a couple of hours a day...but will begin working out more now. Promisse! ;)
    Thanks, calOrina, for reminding me that 5:2 is not linear. And that it will go up and down. After all I did lose 1.5 kgs...and that IS better than nothing. And yes, I do believe it works, but I don`t want to eat less than I should...I wont harm my body....so therefore, starting next week, I´ll eat more on the non-fast days, excersise more and try to be happy with what I actually have lost.
    But still...how many calories would be smart for me to eat, do you think?
    Thanks again!! :):)
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Actually...people with hypothyroidism and pcos often have to go below «normal» calculations. Because all kcal and exercise calculators are based on a guessed average for a certain demographic. Which means the numbers the calculator gives you are almost meaningless for people with hormonal dysfunction. The more you deviate from the averages...the more you have to experiment which numbers work for YOU.

Try 3 weeks on a slightly higher avg daily intake. Assess results. Adjust accordingly up or down for a new 3 week trial. Keep going until you found macro ratios that work for you. Get < 30g protein per meal.

Also experiment with your exercise protocols. If you're doing 2 hrs already...It's not really working towards your goal.

When you want change, you need to change what you're doing :)

Optional:
    Work in healthy fats into your budget: olive oil, avocado, lard, butter, coconut oil, pork, red meat, bacon, pork rinds. It helps on satiety (eaten within reason).
    Try avoid «fat-free» products as they are most often very sugary. But, if you don't wanna lower starch, you do as suits you best :)
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you want to lose? It gets harder as you lose weight have less weight left to lose. Just a thought I had while reading this. Otherwise, I definitely count calories on my non-fast days too. I'm terrible at estimating based off looking at something so I know I'll go over if I don't :)
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have Hypo/Hashimoto's so I know the struggle. Everyone else loses so much and I only register tiny losses every week. Now, I'm stuck and can't lose at all. It's a bummer having thyroid issues.
  • linux40
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    Actually...people with hypothyroidism and pcos often have to go below «normal» calculations. Because all kcal and exercise calculators are based on a guessed average for a certain demographic. Which means the numbers the calculator gives you are almost meaningless for people with hormonal dysfunction. The more you deviate from the averages...the more you have to experiment which numbers work for YOU.

Try 3 weeks on a slightly higher avg daily intake. Assess results. Adjust accordingly up or down for a new 3 week trial. Keep going until you found macro ratios that work for you. Get < 30g protein per meal.

Also experiment with your exercise protocols. If you're doing 2 hrs already...It's not really working towards your goal.

When you want change, you need to change what you're doing :)

Optional:
    Work in healthy fats into your budget: olive oil, avocado, lard, butter, coconut oil, pork, red meat, bacon, pork rinds. It helps on satiety (eaten within reason).
    Try avoid «fat-free» products as they are most often very sugary. But, if you don't wanna lower starch, you do as suits you best :)
    Thank you so much, this was really helpful. I have now, manually, raised the calorie-level from 1400 to 1600, just to see if it will have some effect. Will report back ;)
    And ok, I´ll try for some weeks, and then adjust if needed. Great advice. So boring to stand still...
    I understand you know quite a bit about hypo, that`s great, thanks :) Experimenting with what works for me is absolutely something I have to do, I just don "fit in" to all the normal calculators....
    I already do cut on starch, but thanks for the advice. And I´ll try to manage 30 grams protein pr meal...that`s not so easy.

Again thanks :)
  • linux40
    Options
    ACSL3 wrote: »
    How much weight do you want to lose? It gets harder as you lose weight have less weight left to lose. Just a thought I had while reading this. Otherwise, I definitely count calories on my non-fast days too. I'm terrible at estimating based off looking at something so I know I'll go over if I don't :)

Nah, I´m not on the end of my weightloss-journey...I have 9 more kilos to go....

• linux40
    Options
    bburg86 wrote: »
    I have Hypo/Hashimoto's so I know the struggle. Everyone else loses so much and I only register tiny losses every week. Now, I'm stuck and can't lose at all. It's a bummer having thyroid issues.

I know, it`s really hard. But my doc says that if we`re sufficiently medicated, we should be able to lose weight like the rest...And I guess that`s true, but I still find it harder, even when I know I´m on the right dose of medication...
    Still, I was recently undermedicated, and I couldn`t lose a bit...now, the medication is better and I´m feeling better, then I was able to lose again, even though it`s tiny, tiny...

Now, I´ll take the advice from here, eat a bit more, and see how it goes...

Good luck to you too!!! Don`t give up!

• RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I just found out about my issues is Feb. So I have no idea if I'm properly medicated yet. I don't feel any better than I did when I started the meds. I know that much!