Kids and Keto/low carb

Options
dorkof82
dorkof82 Posts: 135 Member
does anyone have kids who eat this way? What do you put in their lunches for school? Was the transition hard?

Replies

• Keto_Tara
    Options
    Why do you want to feed your kids keto?

I have 3 kids who are 8, 7, and 1. I haven't considered forcing my lifestyle on them because I don't see that there's any reason to. I have no idea what it could do to their little growing bodies or how it will effect their performance at school. I'm the one with a bad relationship with carbs so I don't see any reason to punish my perfectly healthy children for it.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt that the OP was looking to punish her children, and for many of us it isn't the "relationship" with carbohydrates that is at issue. Its the physical illness, systemic inflammation, glucose spikes and fat retention, et al associated with certain types/levels of carbohydrate intake that is at issue.

Why not feed them keto if it includes whole foods? Its better (In my humble opinion) than feeding them a bunch of GMO'd, grain-based garbage....or poisonous weapons grade sugar. They will realize the same benefits everyone else does, and won't end up morbidly obese with Type 2 Diabetes before they are a teenager.

That being said, I myself, would probably lean more toward paleo than keto, for my young kidlets - which I do not have anymore - they are grown - one eats above-said garbage is and is extremely overweight and unhealthy, the other follows a mostly paleo-type diet and is vibrant and healthy. I have an ongoing love affair with vegetables, and do not believe that carbohydrate is evil incarnate - I simply believe that if enjoyed, it should be enjoyed moderately, mostly in the form of veg, nuts and berries. I think compliance would be easier with paleo also than with keto.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Also, considering that the ketogenic diet was originally created to help CHILDREN who suffered from seizures, I cannot see how a ketogenic diet would be punishment for them. Children do not need carbs anymore than adults do. Sure they like them - carbs taste good.

@Keto_Tara I think you are more likely to pass on that "bad relationship" with carbs to your children by your way of thinking and by showing them that two completely opposing ways of eating are supposed to be healthy (children get easily confused by mixed signals - why is mommy giving me fruits and eating bacon?? I used a semi-extreme example - but, that type of thing.). And for most people, a ketogenic diet helps with physical ailments, not just psychological and physical aspects.

I would much rather feed a child healthy whole foods than things laden with dyes, sugars, pesticides, and preservatives. Whole foods in Paleo eating plans, with the ketogenic leanings (rather than all the sugary things) seems like the best of all worlds...
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm gradually moving my husband and kids to a primal diet. They eat keto dinners because that's what I cook (and my husband typically then eats keto for lunch too since he takes leftovers). My husband has actually gained weight, and so has my son (they both needed to, my son has always been underweight and my husband is borderline). Pretty much they eat what I eat, except they also drink milk, eat fruit, and have occasional whole grains.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »
    I highly doubt that the OP was looking to punish her children, and for many of us it isn't the "relationship" with carbohydrates that is at issue. Its the physical illness, systemic inflammation, glucose spikes and fat retention, et al associated with certain types/levels of carbohydrate intake that is at issue.

Why not feed them keto if it includes whole foods? Its better (In my humble opinion) than feeding them a bunch of GMO'd, grain-based garbage....or poisonous weapons grade sugar. They will realize the same benefits everyone else does, and won't end up morbidly obese with Type 2 Diabetes before they are a teenager.

That being said, I myself, would probably lean more toward paleo than keto, for my young kidlets - which I do not have anymore - they are grown - one eats above-said garbage is and is extremely overweight and unhealthy, the other follows a mostly paleo-type diet and is vibrant and healthy. I have an ongoing love affair with vegetables, and do not believe that carbohydrate is evil incarnate - I simply believe that if enjoyed, it should be enjoyed moderately, mostly in the form of veg, nuts and berries. I think compliance would be easier with paleo also than with keto.

I rather take exception to the sweeping generalization that all kids who eat carbs will end up fat and diabetic.

I have four children and a husband who all consume carbs and - gasp- not a one of them is overweight or even near it. Shocking, I know.
  • GalactusEmpire
    GalactusEmpire Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of these comments are on topic. There is no need to debate anything here.

Have you tried asking your children what they would like? Perhaps make a list of keto friendly foods and see which they prefer.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of these comments are on topic. There is no need to debate anything here.

Have you tried asking your children what they would like? Perhaps make a list of keto friendly foods and see which they prefer.

My kids enjoy many of my more keto inspired dishes and there was not a complaint to be heard the other night when I accidentally dumped the pasta (to go with pork and green beans sauteed in bacon fat) into the sink the other night whilst attempting to drain it.

• dorkof82
    dorkof82 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Wow, I was starting to think this post was buried and would never see the light of day lol.

Obviously I don't want to punish my child, I don't think of Keto as a punishment and neither does she.
    If anything I feel like I'm punishing her if I continued to let her eat the processed crap day in, day out while I sit here and take care of myself...

She's already been eating most of the same dinners as me, sometimes she doesn't want to and that's fine, I allow her to have something else. sometimes has Keto breakfast but sometimes doesn't. She's transitioning, and she likes almost everything so far but we havent made the full switch yet. It's the lunches that I haven't gotten down yet because it has to be cold...

I won't go as drastic with her as I do with myself -like fruit for instance, I don't eat it, but she can if she wants. It's more about wanting to get the wheat/grains, sugars and crap out of the house that I'm mainly concerned about.

Keto has so many health benefits and the fact that it HAS been used with children- prescribed by doctors, is why I considered it for her in the first place. Paleo also might be a good route, thanks for the advice on that.

Now back to the foods, I do have a list going of foods she likes that I might be able to work with in a lunch box but the main reason for this post was to get more ideas because you can never have enough :) and who knows if there's something totally awesome that I never considered
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    dorkof82 wrote: »
    Wow, I was starting to think this post was buried and would never see the light of day lol.

Obviously I don't want to punish my child, I don't think of Keto as a punishment and neither does she.
    If anything I feel like I'm punishing her if I continued to let her eat the processed crap day in, day out while I sit here and take care of myself...

She's already been eating most of the same dinners as me, sometimes she doesn't want to and that's fine, I allow her to have something else. sometimes has Keto breakfast but sometimes doesn't. She's transitioning, and she likes almost everything so far but we havent made the full switch yet. It's the lunches that I haven't gotten down yet because it has to be cold...

I won't go as drastic with her as I do with myself -like fruit for instance, I don't eat it, but she can if she wants. It's more about wanting to get the wheat/grains, sugars and crap out of the house that I'm mainly concerned about.

Keto has so many health benefits and the fact that it HAS been used with children- prescribed by doctors, is why I considered it for her in the first place. Paleo also might be a good route, thanks for the advice on that.

Now back to the foods, I do have a list going of foods she likes that I might be able to work with in a lunch box but the main reason for this post was to get more ideas because you can never have enough :) and who knows if there's something totally awesome that I never considered

This is the best attitude I've seen about the whole issue. Get rid of the junk and potential allergens. Minimize the crap... Add in the good stuffs. Balance. It's all about balance.

I rather take exception to the sweeping generalization that all kids who eat carbs will end up fat and diabetic.

I have four children and a husband who all consume carbs and - gasp- not a one of them is overweight or even near it. Shocking, I know.

I don't think anyone intended to say that all carbs are bad and all that. I think that for most people living in our indulgent society, there isn't much moderation. Kids love all the junkie carby mess, because hell, it tastes good. Sugar is awesome, etc. Because most of society doesn't know better themselves to train themselves better first before they can help their children. I think the general balance you and your family find, @nicsflyingcircus, and what @dorkof82 is going for is what we should all aim for... Balance to keep problems from surfacing, as we are fighting our way back from.

Knowing, too, that genetics are at play, and if we have certain issues, there is a chance our children will too. Setting them up to truly understand balance and moderation and occasional treats is one of the best health lessons we can teach them! :) Learn from our mistakes so you don't have to repeat them - make your own! LOL
  • DisappearingTwinkie
    DisappearingTwinkie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think different wraps and making roll-ups from a favorite meat and avocado, cheese, or cream cheese would be easy enough. Think of what you would take on a picnic with your girl and pack her lunch with those things!

I commend you for trying to instill some of the better eating habits in your child early on. A less carb lifestyle, and knowing that when you have carbs they are nutritional is a great lesson.

There are many styles of ketogenic diets, there is nothing wrong with a child being on a nutritionally rounded ketogenic diet.
  • DisappearingTwinkie
    DisappearingTwinkie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Oh and if our child can have a cooling gel or ice pack a broccoli salad can be great.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Mostly, you just partially freeze the water bottle in the lunch, and it keeps everything else cool! Most things like ranch are safe at room temp for a bit when made at home...or you could buy the sealed individual packages. They make those for almost everything these days.
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree with packing stuff you'd take on a picnic, and freezing a part-full water bottle to keep stuff cold. Lunch meats/pepperoni/cooked bacon, hard boiled eggs, cheeses, broccoli, cucumbers, and celery with ranch... Lettuce wraps (basically put the same toppings you'd put on a sub in a leaf of romaine)... Tuna or egg salad with cheese chips... Lunch meat rolled with cream cheese & pickles... Salads in a jar... Mini peppers with guacamole (press plastic wrap or a baggie tightly over the surface and it won't brown)...
  • nill4me
    Options

Take except with what you like....that, my friend, is the beauty of the forums. My "sweeping generalization" was actually fairly specific, and referred to..."Its better (In my humble opinion) than feeding them a bunch of GMO'd, grain-based garbage....or poisonous weapons grade sugar...." But hey. keep on keepin' on.

• nill4me
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Mostly, you just partially freeze the water bottle in the lunch, and it keeps everything else cool! Most things like ranch are safe at room temp for a bit when made at home...or you could buy the sealed individual packages. They make those for almost everything these days.

I wish I could get coconut oil in those....I still would like to patent that.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Trader Joe's supposedly has coconut oil in 1 oz individual packets if that is what you mean.
  • nill4me
    Options

Trader Joe's supposedly has coconut oil in 1 oz individual packets if that is what you mean.

YES! THANK YOU @Knit!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

YES! THANK YOU @Knit!

You're so welcome. Someone else mentioned them when we were talking about how to do bullet proof coffee/tea on the go. I had joked about portioning out 1 oz of coconut oil into individual snack size baggies, enough for travel in your purse... She told me that Trader Joe's sells them. I can't personally attest to that as I've never been in one in my life, but I wish you the best of luck on your quest to find them!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

There's a brand that starts with a K in the stores here. I'll try to remember to look tonight.

ETA: Maybe Kelapo?
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Idea for a brand of individually portioned coconut oil.

Conveniently Individual Coconut Oil!
    (CICO)

I like poking bears once in awhile.