menopausal nightmare!

Options
audra145
audra145 Posts: 17 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
I hit the big "m" a few months ago and it seems like no matter how much I exercise and watch my carbs and calories I just keep gaining! 13 lbs in the last couple of months. I work out hard at least 5 times a week with about a 450 cal burn each time and stay under 40g carbs dailyand stay within my calories but bam! There's another pound or two on the scale! When will the madness end?!?!

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi audra, I sure sympathize with you. I was gaining like clockwork in peri-menopause before going LCHF, but that helped me lose. I think you should check out the thread about cortisol and stress here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10140745/thats-it-ive-had-it#latest
    Unfortunately, exercise induces stress, which increases cortisol and can then actually slow the scale loss. How long have you been doing low carbs?
  • audra145
    audra145 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been on low carb for a year and i am a diabetic with a history of 2 heart attacks. Exercising is important to me. ..in my mind. ..to help reduce the risk of another heart attack. I'm relatively fit but that didn't stop the past MIs. Thanks for the input. I will definitely look into that! :-)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about menopause, but I think you're on the right track with exercise. I do recall reading one study that showed exercise reduced cortisol levels for menopausal women (it seems to increase cortisol for everybody else).
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hi Audra, why not have a look at a little sub group on here...Over 50 Ladies. Our special needs. Lol not everyone is over 50 on it but we are all struggling with similar problems and these ladies are a mine of useful info and tremendously supportive. Be nice to see you there.