Visualization

Options
FLfitguy
FLfitguy Posts: 22 Member
Myfitnesspal photo is Dr Jeff Life's chest. He's the doctor who made great strides in anti aging. I use that for visualization and you know I think I'm beginning to look like that. I also did it because I wanted to be anonymous here other than people I get to know.

I'm not there but with visualizing at least I'm more like that. I even wear more form fitting shirts. And tank tops which I never did before.

What are your thoughts on visualization.

Replies

• nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I think it can be very helpful. Whenever I feel like giving up or just need a vision to inspire me I think of either Sofia Loren in the gold dress in the movie Houseboat or the British Chef Nigella Lawson. I would like to be willowy and lanky but I just don't have the structure for that. I got close once but couldn't maintain it. Do I think I could ever look as gorgeous as the above mentioned ladies? I honestly don't know (I'm about 25 years older than Sophia was at that point and about 4 or 5 years younger than Nigella now) but it gets me on track.
  • FLfitguy
    Options
    Great input. Napoleon Hill said that what the mind of man can conceive he can achieve.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    That is a good point. So often, even when we lose weight, we are still fat in our head. My visual pic is sort of the opposite. I look at my fat pic's and go "oh, hell, no!"
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    FLfitguy wrote: »
    Napoleon Hill said that what the mind of man can conceive he can achieve.

I think visualization is a great tool to use for our fitness. My entire plan is based off of one and it really helps me.

Here is an exerpt from my plan:
    - At the beginning of my journey, I pictured myself laying on my basement floor, fat, unhealthy, and badly wanting out of that basement. My goal is to crawl my way out, climb the stairs up to the second floor, run up the attic stairs, out the window to sit with my two grandsons on the roof to gaze at the stars - a healthy slim medication-free new version of myself.
    - Now as I am progressing it helps me tremendously. The 100 times a day I need to remind myself why I am making the tougher decision, I picture both that end goal looking at the stars with my boys and exactly where I am on my journey. So far I have climbed the basement steps and the steps to the second floor. I'm ascending the attic stairs, currently on the 2nd step. Now it's running up the rest of the attic steps to the roof. Still a long way to go, but I've come so far.
    - When I do stall on a step and even take a step or two backwards, I remind myself that I started on the basement floor and I'm a long way from there. I brush myself off, decide again Who do I want to be? and move forward.

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    My visualization was often – an image of myself shopping in a regular store, buying a nicely tailored suit and even taking a relaxing tub bath soak once in a while instead of a shower only. Like BRaye – I would also remind myself of the first steps on the treadmill when I could only walk for 5 minutes at a 1 mph pace….every minute or fraction of a mph was encouraging.
  • FLfitguy
    Options
    I need to remind myself of how far I've come. I've achieved so many goals and done so many things yet I'm always dissatisfied. Yet when I picture myself accomplishing things or looking a certain way I seem to move in that direction.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Bill I love that your ambition is to watch the stars with your boys. Now that's a great thing to work towards..
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »
    ….every minute or fraction of a mph was encouraging.

Yes, we all think about how we'll feel when we get there, but the satisfaction in small steps can be just as rewarding and motivating if we let them.