Sam's club

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
Does anyone have a membership there or a similar type store? I saw a deal today for a membership for 45 dollars for the year and was wondering if anyone had experience shopping there. Is there a big benefit to buying in such large quantities?

Replies

• annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm single, and I do shop at Costco occasionally. Not to stock up on everything, because I don't have a deep freezer or enough pantry space to store it all, but there are some things like cheese, olive oil, coconut oil, and baking soda, etc., that I like the larger quantities of. Also they have a better selection of prepared meats and fish that I can just microwave and go when I don't feel like cooking. I think it's worth it.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    We had one for awhile but rarely used it. I found it beneficial when planning for a party, but most of the time I can get better deals at Aldi's. If you are a fan of certain brands than you can certainly stock up on them at Sam's. It was also helpful for things like trash bags and paper products. Their produce is nice.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Buying in bulk usually saves in per-item price. ie:

Roll of toilet paper sells for $2 individually
    Pack of 20 sells for $30, or $1.50 each.

I've never found it particularly useful, but that's because I've never really been one to need (and for a while, couldn't store) the amounts that they sold and what they had. I know a lot of people in this group do, though. Even with the cost of membership, if you buy enough of the things they offer, it is a savings in the long run. You do sacrifice selection, though, so if you don't like the brand or variety they offer for X item, you're out of luck.

I do go to Gordon Food Service occasionally, though. Same idea, though smaller and doesn't require a membership. It's the same place many restaurants get a lot of their stuff. Great place to buy spices in bulk or the utilitarian stuff for a party (flatware, drink mixes, etc).
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I was thinking mostly for meat, I guess. I don't know how much I'd go but meat is so pricey
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I don't get my meat there but I do get grassfed cheese and butter at a fabulous price as compared to the grocery store (Kerrygold), wild salmon (frozen), smoked salmon, organic greens and salads and lots of fresh veggies (cauliflower, string beans and fresh Brussels sprouts), and lots of avocados. We also get olive and coconut oils there and, most importantly, my Paul Newman coffee K cups :)!! We definitely save a lot on all these items. But I'm feeding a big family so YMMV.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I recall they had large bags and boxes of things like chicken breasts and they have the meats they cut. I don't recall them being any lower priced than regular grocery stores, though, and no sales that I ever saw.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I found online that BJ's offeres a free 60 day membership, I think I'll do that and see if its of any benefit before paying for a membership. Thanks all. I saw they have the appelgate farms lunchmeats and bacon which is really expensive everywhere, but it didn't show the price.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    On occasion we by Black Label Ribeye and Ground Beef and Leg o Lamb.

I always buy Chicken legs/thighs/breast/whole chicken, all decently priced. I just freeze it and it lasts for a long while.

I don't usually buy fish at Sams, i go to our local market for that stuff, and deli stuff is cheaper at the market.

At Sams, Cage free brown eggs (18 count) for about $4, butter, heavy whipping cream, cream cheese (6pack) some veggies like green beans and sprouts, mushrooms, bella caps, avocados, etc.

Toilet paper and paper towels :)
  • audra145
    audra145 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had a Sam's membership but could never really get into going amd it didn't seem worth it to me. ..but it was also a one hour drive each way.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I haven't liked the lack of selection when I go, especially when they don't have everything and I still have to go to the grocery store to finish my list. However it's starting to sound more appealing for buying meat and bacon in bulk. Luckily our freezer hasn't been so full since we stopped buying all the carby packaged stuff.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    We had a Sams until Costco moved in. Now we do costco for the organic and grass fed options they provide. We buy toilet paper, paper towels, dishwasher detergent, lunch meat, sliced cheese, shredded cheese, block cheese, flax seed, organic canned goods, frozen organic fruits and veggies, antibiotic free beef, chicken and some fish, pickles by the 3 gallon jars, avocados, mushrooms, etc

Our costco doesnt carry grassfed milk or butter, but if they did id get them there. We have chickens and pigs so I dont get the eggs or pork there but cheap prices on free range eggs there. Cheap mayo but the gallons if you dont make your own.

You can always walk in without a membership and check it out. We did before we purchased the membership at each place. Take a list of things you normally buy and their per unit ball park prices and check it out. You wont know if it is worth it for YOU unless you compare on things you buy.

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Have used in the past, but I live an hour away from the nearest Sam's, so not practical for a membership for me. If I lived closer in would use it.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I don't like Costco for some reason, I find it lacking some of the stuff and more pricier, and SAMs is 10 min away :)
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have a BJ's membership and have used it extensively over the last year to buy the following:

Bacon (3 pounds at BJ's cost the same as 2 pounds at wal mart pretty consistently).
    Ground Beef
    Pork Chops
    Chicken Thighs
    Fish Occasionally
    Roasts occasionally
    Eggs
    Almond Milk
    Heavy Cream
    Cream Cheese
    Shredded Cheese
    Sliced Cheese
    Deli Meat
    Salsa
    Coconut Oil
    Butter
    Nuts
    Powerade Zero by the case
    Paper Towels
    Napkins
    Toilet Paper

I don't have the amounts on the other things besides bacon, but every single one of these items is very consistently cheaper at BJ's per pound/unit/whatever than I could get anywhere else.

With the meats, I prefer to cook in bulk for most things, I don't like cooking in general, but I like leftovers.
  • monicapavlick
    monicapavlick Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Sam's Club membership, but know I go to GFS. GFS is free, no membership required. I love their chicken, my dad swears by their salmon, I buy cheese in bulk there and divide it up and freeze it when I get home.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @radiii thank you for that list. I tried looking online for prices but only saw the powerade zero with a price and was much lower than I've seen it everywhere. I did see that they have grass fed beef there to so I'll have to check on that. Thanks all for the feedback
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I shop for my food almost exclusively at BJ's club.

Why? Because I eat the same food in large amounts. I can get chuck roll for $3.99/lb (in 15-25 lb slabs), boxes of burgers for around $3/lb, bacon for under $3/lb... and, if I want eggs, I can get 5 dozen for less than the cost of 4 dozen at my grocery store.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I think Costco is a little better than Sam's Club.

The Kirkland house brand is nothing short of amazing! Incredible quality & value.

And you can probably pay for your membership just in the ginormous $5 rotisserie chickens and gasoline.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    No Costco up here :(
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Our biggest savings at Sam's is honestly on our gas and bacon.