I'm still hungry...

Options
I have been experimenting with my calorie levels since I started(I gain/stall with below 1400). I try to focus more on macros than calories. I have been mostly good about keeping carbs below 25 and closer to 15/20. I do find my appetite is not as strong but I still get hungry(like now). I still have 2.5hrs till dinner and I'm drinking bulletproof coffee but I'm hungry still...
Yesterday I went WAYYY over calories so I don't want to go too far today.

I don't think I'm adapted yet and ketostix aren't consistent for me even when I KNOW I'm in ketosis.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    BPC isn't very satiating. What makes you less hungry? For me, it's eggs, meat, and cheese. Protein. 3 eggs at breakfast, and I'm full for HOURS.
  • mongoosealamode
    mongoosealamode Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    There isn't really anything specific. Cheese and protein is more substantial but it doesn't always cut it.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Are you truly hungry or just want food? Maybe try adding volume to your food like a bunch of a low carb veggie (lettuce). I also like sugar free jello for volume.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Also, until you are adapted, if you are truly hungry, you should eat. Your body burns extra calories converting the system from a carb engine to a fat engine. I find that if I eat to hunger, some days I'll eat 1500 calories and some days I'll eat 2500 calories, but it levels out each 7 or so day period to a weekly deficit of calories to lose a pound or so a week... So if your calories fluctuate up and down, it is really okay. Usually I'll have it in groups - a couple higher days, a few lower days, then a higher day, then a couple lower, etc. It's not a cycle exactly - just that listening solely to hunger, it will balance out if you don't have any specific underlying issues. And again, restricting during adaption is frustrating.

As for BPC - I do BPT, but I always need something salty (electrolyte balance) within an hour or two on either side of it to feel really sated by it. I don't know why exactly, but I'm not doing salty tea! LOL Sometimes, if I am not hungry or thirsty enough for broth or a snack, I'll just dash some salt in my palm, toss it in my mouth, and chase with water. It does the trick...
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    And make certain you are drinking enough water. 1/2 to 1 oz of water per lb of weight. Sometimes what we think is hunger is thirst. (or boredom) :smile:
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I feel hungry almost all the time again. Before easter I was great! Ketostix were always dark purple. Now... meh. Never purple but usually showing something.

The last week or so I found the only thing that will finally shut off the hunger signal is a meal of veggies. So like a big (I mean BIG) bowl of lettuce or spinach with chicken on it and oil and vinegar, or like 200g of broccoli! I've been just, "going with it" because otherwise, I would go crazy. I figure I'm better at listening to my body and if it's veggies it wants.... dunno.

maybe give it a try? It probably wants something it's not getting. ??
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    > 200g of broccoli

8g net carbs so keep an eye on your daily tally
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I've been having same problem, so today I had supper(chili/cheese/1/2avacodo) for breakfast. Then 1 cheese stick @ noon and BPC at 3:00. Was good til supper at 7:00. Usually I'm starving all day, but this seemed to work. I had enough energy to work out in yard (raking, pruning trees) all day. So, going to try again tomorrow. Maybe switching breakfast & supper is the way to go? This is only my second week in tho, if that makes any difference.
  • jerryellis63012
    jerryellis63012 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ditto here too, I'm following macros perfectly, at least today, and was hungry when I got home from work, it just doesn't seem to be enough so I guess I'll be adding salad to my diet!
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    And make certain you are drinking enough water. 1/2 to 1 oz of water per lb of weight. Sometimes what we think is hunger is thirst. (or boredom) :smile:

I've discovered that this is the trick for me. I would swear on a pile of Bibles that I'm starving then have a glass of water. Then I feel stuffed as though I actually ate a full meal.