Do you tell people you are IFing when discussing weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I've stopped talking to people about it. I went back to work yesterday and I work with quite a few people that are a lot bigger than me. They noticed my weight loss straight away and were like "omg what's your secret? I want to try it!"
    I started to explain that I'm fasting two days a week and omfg the diet nazis all jumped down my throat about how that's the wrong way to go and I should be doing it this way or that way...

Um i kinda wanted to be mean and say that my way is working for me and obviously their way isn't working for them seems as they asked me about MY weight loss.

I bit my tongue
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Um i kinda wanted to say that my way is working for me.

^^This is ok and then walk away...end of discussion ;)
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    @karen. Yup, some battles are not worth it. Cost benefit. Good job :)
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »

Um i kinda wanted to say that my way is working for me.

^^This is ok and then walk away...end of discussion ;)

I agree with this too. I don't think by saying that you are saying anything bad! But yeah, some battles just aren't even worth starting. I know people just can't wrap their minds around it, so I'd rather not get into it at all.
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I mentioned 5:2 to my good friend's mom, as I see her a lot and she commented on my looking slim. I started off by mentioning that I decided to try this after researching it very well, recognizing my own weakness with straight up restrictive eating, etc.

She protested immediately, how it's not good for me, how I'm going to wreck my body/system, etc.

Then she went on to tell me about what she saw on tv about some other such way and that I should try that. :|

I just smiled and nodded and decided I wouldn't bring it up again. Now the only person I talk to about it is my very logic minded boyfriend. Bless him... he helps me stay sane.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

I just smiled and nodded and decided I wouldn't bring it up again. Now the only person I talk to about it is my very logic minded boyfriend. Bless him... he helps me stay sane.

A wise woman with and awesome man at her side :)
  • flinx1241
    flinx1241 Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I never push it. If the question comes up, as it inevitably does nowadays, I tend to brush it off the first time. Only if someone brings it up a second time, and seems truly interested, do I give them any real info. If they're really receptive and curious, I will tell them as much as they want to hear, but never push it as a cure-all for everybody. No one who knows me can deny that it's worked wonders for me, so if there are any who disagree with the idea they tend to keep that to themselves. Then again, it seems to be much more prevalent here in Europe than back in the States, so maybe that will flip a bit when I go home to visit in July...
  • Juliemoo1960
    Juliemoo1960 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am up front about the 5:2 and most people have been very positive. Some of hubby's work colleagues refer to it as that weird diet but I say it works for us so whatever. There was a brilliant programme in the UK recently with lots of experts and IF was advocated on one of the proffered methods of weight loss.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bburg86 wrote: »
    When people notice that you've lost weight, or you mention that you've lost weight and people ask "how did you do it?" do you tell them what you are doing?

No way - I talk about food/nutrition/exercise as little as possible, IRL. Nothing good can come of it.

If forced, I say something vague or make a dumb joke and leave it at that. "Eh, I got deloused."
    OMG-you crack me up! It's right up there with politics and religion-two other things I never discuss.