intermittent fasting??

Options
What is the method of IF that people have tried and works best in normal life? Im thinking about trying Leangains model of intermittent fasting.... but just wanna see what works for everyone else or any advice you could give before attempting a fast?

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I have done IF one day on one day off last year before I started eating keto. It was 500 cals in one meal one day in one day and eating "normally" the next day. I did lose weight this way and it was doable, but I eventually got fed up and gave up.

On keto, I have done 16:8 quite well, where you stop eating at eg 8 at night and don't eat again until noon the next day. That's fine too. Would usually get a pang of hunger in the morning but it would soon pass. I didn't feel weak or anything.

However, people have said that IF can cause the body stress and so recently, I have started having a small breakfast eg one hard boiled egg as I was wondering if the extra stress was stalling me. But everyone is different!

Not sure what Leangains IF is?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    LeanGains is a larger protocol that includes IF, calorie cycling, macro cycling, and fasted heavy weight training:
    http://www.leangains.com/

It's IF schedule is typically 16:8 fast:feed which a lot of people find works well, even when not doing the full LeanGains protocol. Basically you just skip breakfast and have a late lunch. Keeping the feeding window later in the day tends to be a good fit with family and social events.
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    All I have to ask is "why?" - I have read much on the subject and have come away with the belief that if you're doing keto correctly then you can fast without much effort at all as long as you're strongly in nutritional ketosis. I haven't found it to be of value as something that I "force" on my dieting. My attitude is "If it happens it happens" (due to being busy or otherwise preoccupied with more important matters).

I did try to use it to jump start additional weight loss in the past with little success. I have found more success in just sticking to the right macros and caloric intake religiously.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I generally do a 20:4 fast/feed. Sometimes just sticking to macros and caloric intake doesn't cut it. There can be extenuating circumstances. Sadly, some of us are just more metabolically broken than others...Type 2 Diabetes, glucose intolerance, severe insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, autoimmune disorders, PCOS.... and so on.

For myself, my IF schedule helped me get into and stay in nutritional ketosis (except for when I was sick a few weeks ago...I bumped out even eating correctly). Before IF, I was always just riding on the cusp...and felt pretty crappy, even doing keto. I could not get my glucose levels below 120 before IF. Just today, my morning glucose was 125 (it used to be between 140-200+), and last I checked at 5pm, it was 85. I don't have to think about it, or plan what to eat during the week....it works really well with my schedule. I travel every week for work and live in a hotel with a kitchenette. I eat from 5-9pm. That man I married is a one-meal-a-day kinda guy, so I'm able to easily keep it up on weekends. Sometimes, it just works.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    NIll4me..ME TOO.. I'm not diabetic, but suspected pre..and after following my BG for the last month just sporadically, not even 2x weekly..I was always at 105 or 124 or in between..frustrating as NO sugar/carbs going in enough to do that.

Finally I hit a FBG 87 after a strict VLC 3 days, and I am doing a 5/19 to 8/16 IF too. and will continue.

So many LC docs promote this..when you think of it there used to be a 3 meals no snack society..now it is 24/7 eating and snacks for every kid, lunchrooms,roach coaches,vending machines…loaded food trays in meetings…you can't escape it..and it triggers eating or the thought we need to eat while there is food there. ( Taco bell even tried "4th meal") sheesh

ANYONE who is obese, or has medical issues should consider BG as a real marker for longer life. People who are diabetic say they would do ANYTHING to go back and change that path..we can. And <83 is considered healthy..not 100, not 120… Dr. Bernstein has spent his life trying to get this across.

http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/2015/02/25/prediabetes-vs-diabetes-rose-name/

It isn't the Keto that is not great, it is, we MUST 'rest' the body..limiting eating has been proven almost miraculous to lower BG and to improve insulin resistance and lose weight.