Any late 40s or older women having success?

Options
keeponkickin
keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
Hi. I'm new to the group. I just turned 48 last week. I've been on mfp for 4 1/2 years and my first year in I lost 100 pounds. I maintained, not easily, for a long while. I've had to eat very little and workout hard to maintain. Now the past year and a nasty injury kept me sidelined and I gained 10 pounds (while eating below bmr mind you). So here I am, eating 1200, working out several days a week, very active, I'm 5' 8" and I can't lose not one pound. I'm in utter frustration and really hope eating more to weigh less will be the answer. I'm will to put in the time and effort needed. Any advice and help is very appreciated.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you here finally, I knew you'd reach a point and realize doing the same thing not working wasn't the best route.

Injuries healed up now?
  • keeponkickin
    Options
    Thanks. Injuries all good. LONG haul. Now to get this eat more stuff figured out. I just raised all the calories to maintenance for my current weight and try to just reset myself. Started doing HIIT instead of long workouts and of course still doing resistance training.
  • keeponkickin
    Options
    What boggles my mind is I have three doctors that say to eat 1,000 to 1200 a day? Crazy
  • heybales
    Options
    I'd suggest NOT jumping straight up to potential TDEE.

Because if you aren't changing weight right now - your current eating level is your current TDEE.

Jump up big - you will gain fat, until body decides to speed up. Who knows how long that could take.

I'd also suggest not doing the HIIT yet, if truly HIIT, while undereating until back up to potential TDEE level.
    HIIT is like lifting if done right, and that's a stress on the body when recovery is already slower, and already under stress from lack of food.
    Maybe just intervals where you pick up the pace, but not full out as hard as you can HIIT.
  • keeponkickin
    Options
    So eat at BMR? This all get so confusing.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Great to see you here! Yes, EM2WL will absolutely work for anybody, you just have to be willing to invest the time that it takes to fully heal your metabolism (which can be a fairly long process if you have been under eating for a long period of time...) and take the time to fully understand the various stages one goes through.

I actually wrote a blog post a couple of weeks ago which may answer a lot of your questions....

http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/

Check it out, and let me know your thoughts. I would definitely be willing to help you work through the process. It is definitely not a "quick fix", but if you have the patience (and I know you, of all people has patience!!), then yes you should be able to get your metabolism revved back up and running where it should be :-)

• skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and a little over a week ago I increased my calories. I was eating between 1800-2000 calories per day...my Fitbit TDEE was 23-2400..... Or so I thought. I increased to 2150 a little over a week ago and lost a pound this past week!!! I am noticing a few other differences too. I am peri menopause and had a partial hysto last year and was not losing thinking it was due to Change in hormones. I have a desk job but I am pretty dang active outside of work. All this time I didn't understand that when you figure your activity that includes work out time and other stuff...so I am told I had too big of a deficit. So I am not a pro at this.... Still testing it out...but learning.... Join me!!
  • heybales
    Options

Not really, just slowly increase the amount you eat, to encourage the body to speed back up.

You'll find recommendation several places in stickies to increase eating level 100 cal daily for a week at a time.

As active as you were with family and exercise, you have no idea how much you could really be eating and seeing loss.
    Well, actually, I think you checked out the spreadsheet one time, so you do have an idea of what it could be burning daily.
  • keeponkickin
    edited April 2015
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Well, actually, I think you checked out the spreadsheet one time, so you do have an idea of what it could be burning daily.

Ok, I found the link to your spreadsheet and I'm punching in the numbers now. Thanks.

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Yup - 46 yr old here, 5'6" and 145ish lbs (I go between 145-148), and I've followed the process. I'm eating around 2150 right now, though when I play field hockey it goes up to 2350. I'm currently not trying to lose weight but when I was, the least I ate was around 1880 (my bigger cut).