beer guilt and alkie question ;)

Options
DianaElena76
DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
I did it again. Two non-low-carb beers this evening. At least my day was good so my net was still under goal, but still. I feel ashamed and just know this will knock me off course again, if I ever got back on course to begin with. What adult beverages do you drink after a long and difficult week? How much of an impact does it have on your weight loss?

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    None what so ever.... No impact which is why I drink none. Sorry but " stressful week" is just a cop out. These words come from a very long term alcoholic.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Thanks for responding. I do like to have a drink or two on the weekends with my husband and have been unable to do so for the better part of the past four years due to one pregnancy after another, each followed by several months of breastfeeding. My last baby stopped nursing around the time I started this WOE two months ago, and I'm trying to figure out if and how I can fit in an occasional cocktail on the weekends.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    I did it again. Two non-low-carb beers this evening. At least my day was good so my net was still under goal, but still. I feel ashamed and just know this will knock me off course again, if I ever got back on course to begin with. What adult beverages do you drink after a long and difficult week? How much of an impact does it have on your weight loss?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc

• Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't often have alcohol but if I feel like a drink it's generally a spirit and diet cola. I don't know what impact it has on my weight loss as I don't do it very often.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Whiskey and diet ginger ale eg canada dry. Gin and slimline tonic. 1 small glass red wine. Not all on the same day though!
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Wine. 2 glasses sometimes, btu then I try to be REALLY careful withg the rest of the carbs. Sometimes I have wine and pork rinds for dinner :)
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Beer makes me bloat up like a Macy's Day Parade balloon regardless of what WOE I'm following.

If I have a drink it's wine, or a base liquor with a diet mixer.
  • ChairmanWow
    ChairmanWow Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Embrace the jack and diet coke. Or a 7 & 7.
    Or, if you are feeling classy that night, a martini with a twist. Or a manhattan.

Steer clear of Long Island Iced Teas. They sneak the sour mix in. I made that mistake the other week. NEVER AGAIN!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Öoooo martini! That's a good one!
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I don't usually drink, wine and me dont go well together, so if I have a drink I'll chose vodka and no sugar cranberry juice. I have not had a drink probably since XMas and have no desire. Those drinking days are pretty much over.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    tlmeyn wrote: »
    Wine. 2 glasses sometimes, btu then I try to be REALLY careful withg the rest of the carbs. Sometimes I have wine and pork rinds for dinner :)

Haha! Me too! :D
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Note : once you get established at low carb, alcohol hits you harder. Drink plenty of water with it too.
  • SazzySuze
    SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Embrace the jack and diet coke. Or a 7 & 7.
    Or, if you are feeling classy that night, a martini with a twist. Or a manhattan.

Steer clear of Long Island Iced Teas. They sneak the sour mix in. I made that mistake the other week. NEVER AGAIN!

Fully agree with this! I drink mixed drinks using diet soda or Crystal light lemonade. Last night's special at my house was cherry vodka and lemonade. No carbs I'm aware of in that. Tonight I might have Southern Comfort and diet 7-up. A few carbs in the Southern Comfort, but not many. I don't do mixed drinks with whiskey sour or juices anymore. Disclaimer: I'm not an alcoholic but I do enjoy a few drinks after my daughter goes to bed on weekends.
  • iam4life
    iam4life Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    Note : once you get established at low carb, alcohol hits you harder. Drink plenty of water with it too.

THIS. Shees. I'm a real lightweight.

I only drink on Friday nights. (And I only drink coffee on Friday lunches.) It's very difficult to restrain myself the rest of the week as I have six kids and the stress mounts up. After bedtime, I either want a drink or a gallon of ice cream!! (I have been known to mix the two in the past!!)

So, my once a week cheat doesn't affect me too much. I usually have a glass of wine (which can be too much nowadays, if you can believe it!) or a shot of tequila.

• IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    None what so ever.... No impact which is why I drink none. Sorry but " stressful week" is just a cop out. These words come from a very long term alcoholic.

Not everyone who has a drink is an alcoholic, you have no right to say that her statement was a cop out.

Anyway, if I drink, which is not often due to med interaction, I have vodka and club soda with a twist of lime. Few calories, and no carbs if using plain vodka.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I drink on the weekends and still manage to loose, I'm down 72 lbs since November 2014. Maybe I would have lost more if I didn't drink??. I was told if I'm going to drink to drink "white" liquor by a diet doctor. He stated there is carmalized sugar added to dark liquor to give it the brown color. He also said to use diet pop or other sugarless drinks if I'm not going to drink it straight. So I drink vodka with either diet 7up/sprite or sugar free packets that are added to water
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »

I've definitely noticed this! I used to drink a lot, but now even two beers pretty much knocks me down.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I guess I need to buy some vodky and wine. I know beer is probably the worst thing I could have had in terms of carb impact, but all I had in the house was Dos Equis and some Puerto Rican rum. And I do love the taste of beer. I was very good in what I ate, so maybe I'll be alright.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've never been one to have this issue. Drinking never did anything for me, and I've barely managed a light buzz once before puking not much later. My father is an alcoholic, and I remember once as a kid being in the car behind him with my mom driving, watching him weave in and out of traffic, just praying the whole way home that he didn't hurt himself or someone else. Since then, once I was old enough to drink, I always swore I would never do that.

Luckily most of y'all probably don't have a story that traumatic! But because of this, I've often been told I have a mental block on it. I would rather sit down and read a quick story, read messages from all y'all, listen to some loud, angry rock music, go for a walk if it is daylight, journal, have a b!tch session with a friend on messenger, or the obvious - bang... Those things are far more relaxing to me than drinking, though I understand the average person does not have my hangup there.

I've always been able to let loose and get goofy when socializing (eventually, anyway) and so this has never been a major issue for me. My friends always loved having a built in designated driver.... So I hope that you can work in some suggestions above or find other outlets (I'll be honest, I'm biased, that last one is my favorite! LOL) that can help you!

P.S. Please know that the first paragraph above was not intended as a jibe against anyone - but as an explanation for my weirdness in this topic!!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I don't partake either. I have in the past during social situations. I just don't want the calories or carbs. I feel if I indulge, I need to eat less. I would rather get some nutrition than empty calories.
  • JenniferCarter2015
    JenniferCarter2015 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like crystal light with vodka, but I also have seen Canadian 66 beer is very low carb and then skinny girl coolers :)