MFP Premium

Options
BRaye325
BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
I've been reading rumors that MFP may have a subscription paid premium level coming out in the near future. I'm curious as to what you guys think about it. I don't know much at this point other than it will have some improved features that many of the experienced longtime members have been asking for. There is also speculation that it has something to do with the recent Under Armour involvement with the site. I've really appreciated that MFP is a free app and have certainly been willing to overlook some things that aren't perfect about it. I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay a monthly fee or annual subscription. Perhaps some of the longtime members here can tell us what they think.

Replies

• BRaye325
    Options
    Well it's not just a rumor, here's what I've found. They are doing a small roll-out to a limited number of users to debug it before making it available to large numbers of users. It will first be available in the U.S. for online, iOS, and Android users. Here is a quick list of the features:

What are the features of MyFitnessPal Premium?
    A Premium subscription adds new options to MyFitnessPal's robust feature set, increasing the app's customizability and flexibility. Please note that Premium is not yet available to all users. Premium features include:

Ad-Free
    Focus on meeting your goals without distraction

Exclusive Content
    Articles and tips available only to our premium subscribers

Macronutrients by Gram
    Set macronutrient goals by either gram or percentage

Food Analysis
    See which foods you've logged are best and worst for you

Quick Add Macronutrients
    Quick Add users can now add macros to their calorie entries

Different Goals by Day
    Set custom calorie and macronutrient goals for any day of the week

Exercise Calorie Settings
    Track exercises without increasing your calorie or nutrient goals

Home Screen Dashboard
    Easily keep an eye on your nutrient goals rather than focusing solely on calories

Priority Customer Support
    Premium support requests are handled as our first priority.
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't pay for it but I'd like being able to log exercise without increasing my calorie goals. The app fooducate is free and that'll tell you if you're eating crap. I think we already know that though eithout being told!
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It depends on the cost. I would like to lose the advertisements, but I don't see the other features adding a lot to my MFP experience.

Here is an interesting MFP thread regarding premium memberships:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10145685/you-asked-you-got-kind-of-mfp-premium
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I am doing well with the free version, the added whizbangs don't look like they will enhance my experience or results in a significant enough way to be worth paying for. I like my friends and this group. So long as I can interact with the group and my friends, and the free version doesn't get overly frustrating, I am not paying.
  • BRaye325
    Options
    The cost sounds like it is still undetermined, but will likely be in the $5.99 - $7.99/month or $39.99 - $79.99/year.
  • BRaye325
    Options
    It depends on the cost. I would like to lose the advertisements, but I don't see the other features adding a lot to my MFP experience.

Here is an interesting MFP thread regarding premium memberships:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10145685/you-asked-you-got-kind-of-mfp-premium

Interesting but that thread has now been removed or locked out. Perhaps the discussion got out of control.
    I guess time will tell. I think I will likely wait to see what others say on the benefits. I would like to see better graphs and better exercise calorie logging flexibility, but cost will certainly heavily weigh into my decision too.
  • lynnstacey2
    lynnstacey2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Interesting! They keep advertising it every time I've logged in today but I haven't seen anything telling me the cost. I am perfectly capable of ignoring the ads and I really don't see anything in their information about it that makes me want to pay to have it.
  • bibliocephalus
    bibliocephalus Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind losing the ads, but it has worked very well for me as-is. I don't really need most of those added features, I am likely to stick with the free, unless it was under $10-12/ year.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Get pretty tired of monthly subscriptions.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    It has been popping up for me every time I come on site. Not in the least interested. I have done just fine with the free version.
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    No interest in a paid subscription, but it does irritate me that after all of this time they want to turn it into a profit center. Makes business sense, but, just saying.
  • Kekineo
    Kekineo Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well... I did sign up thinking it would be a great improvement. NOT. I don't/haven't used any of the extra features and I wouldn't use them even if they were free. I'm regretting it big time! I could use the money for important things like my Zumba class!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    It has been popping up for me every time I come on site. Not in the le
    ast interested. I have done just fine with the free version.

Ditto :)
  • BRaye325
    Options
    I agree also with the general consensus here. Other than a few annoying ads, I haven't seen a benefit that would make me pay. I think their monthly fee is way out of line for the additional that is being provided at this point. I will continue to monitor it.
    If any of you others have signed up and have feedback, let us know.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Nope, not me. I'm stubborn about not spending another penny on a weight loss or weight management program or system, and that includes a logging site. Too much $$$ spent in my life. Also, the added features that come with Premium don't interest me. I just hope they don't let the free site go to pot now that they have a premium.