Weird reactions to certain meats

Options
ChairmanWow
ChairmanWow Posts: 44 Member
This is going to be TMI. I've been eating primarily beef, occasionally eggs, a small amount of veg per week, and some butter and heavy cream for about a month and half. Last night I made chicken. One I roasted in the oven with canola oil (trying to use it up), the other I roasted on the grill, simply brushed with the canola. Everything was cooked to temp and delicious.

I had a grilled chicken leg quarter, and as I was eating, I began to feel incredibly full, almost right away, despite the fact that it tasted delicious. I had an 8 oz steak earlier in the day for lunch, but that was my only other food. I thought, I can't possibly be full, so I finished the leg quarter. Almost immediately after I finished, I was nauseous and light headed and had to go lie down. My stomach was upset for the better part of the evening, cramps and diarrhea, but by 10 o'clock or so, I was feeling mostly better. It is all too quick for food poisoning, so now I'm suspicious of either the chicken or the canola. The rest of my family was fine with the food; I was the only one sick.

I had a similar experience last week with pulled pork shoulder from the slow cooker. Has anyone else had any sort of weird responses to switching proteins? Beef has presented zero problems for me, but both pork and chicken are problematic. Thanks for listening!

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Do you use canola oil on beef? Just wondering.
  • ChairmanWow
    Options
    Nope. Either a dry pan or coconut oil. Not sure if I've had any canola oil since I started the diet, except for maybe in a salad dressing. I've only been having Ken's Buttermilk Ranch and Ken's Blue Cheese; they seem to have the highest fat and the lowest carb.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    My money's on the canola, at least when it comes to the chicken. The process of extracting canola oil generally oxidizes most of the fatty acids in it. Add to that the heat of the grill or oven and you've got a not so great situation. If you're the only one not eating crap, then you have a lower tolerance for inferior "food" products.

I'd say give the chicken another try, but this time, omit the oil. That way you can see if it was the chicken or if it was the oil. Try this recipe instead -- http://everydaypaleo.com/easy-and-amazing-roast-chicken/

What'd you put on the pork shoulder? Did you include something you don't normally put on beef?

It is possible that it is the chicken and/or pork itself. Both animals are omnivores, which can affect you. Cows' diets are quite a bit more limited, especially if you get grass fed to some degree (either grass fed, grass finished or grass fed, grain finished, but not industrial CAFO), which generally makes them better tolerated.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Could have been rancid oil, I suppose, but you would have tasted that.

The symptom you're describing is known as "early satiety." Its causes are varied, but it may be as simple as you weren't done fully digesting your previous meal. If it happens again, ask your doc.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Could have been rancid oil, I suppose, but you would have tasted that.

Not necessarily. Canola oil is industrially deodorized to make it palatable, because the process of extraction itself makes it at least partially rancid. It's much harder to taste rancid oil if you don't know what a given oil tastes like when it's not rancid.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    My guess is you weren't fully digested of the beef. For me it digests slowly, keeping me full. I like it!
  • ChairmanWow
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I guess my suspicion is mostly with the canola as well. It wasn't even straight canola - Olivextra http://www.pompeian.com/products/special-blends/olivextra-original.aspx

Franken-oil. Smells like olive, cooks like canola. Weird. I did use a lot of it, and although it never used to hurt my tum, I suppose times have changed. The only oils left in the house are coconut, corn, and olive. @Dragonwolf do you know if they deodorize refined coconut oil in the same way?

The pork shoulder was even more simply cooked then the chicken. I put a 10 lb shoulder in the slow cooker with only salt and a tablespoon of liquid smoke.

Thanks again. :smile:
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I guess my suspicion is mostly with the canola as well. It wasn't even straight canola - Olivextra http://www.pompeian.com/products/special-blends/olivextra-original.aspx

Franken-oil. Smells like olive, cooks like canola. Weird. I did use a lot of it, and although it never used to hurt my tum, I suppose times have changed. The only oils left in the house are coconut, corn, and olive. @Dragonwolf do you know if they deodorize refined coconut oil in the same way?

The pork shoulder was even more simply cooked then the chicken. I put a 10 lb shoulder in the slow cooker with only salt and a tablespoon of liquid smoke.

Thanks again. :smile:

Check the ingredients on the liquid smoke. Some of them (particularly the cheaper ones) have some not so great ingredients.

As for the coconut oil, it depends on the brand. The lack of odor comes from the refining process, not specific deodorizing. Most of your typical store brands likely use chemical refining, which is arguably not so great. You'll have to do some research on what brands use what methods. I personally just forego cooking with oil in roasting/grilling cases and use an animal fat for skillet stuff, and just use virgin coconut oil in the cases where I want the coconut flavor to complement what I'm cooking.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I often get nausea with chicken and have done so for years. I have no idea why. It comes in waves that feel like motion sickness or morning sickness. I will also get it from a beef steak but not beef mince (burger meet I think US folks call it).

The fresher and leaner the meat, the sicker I feel. Though roast chicken is not lean so I don't think I am of any help :-)
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    And about that product.... w....tf...
    Pompeian OlivExtra® Original is a special scientific combination of the best robust tasting extra virgin olive oil and milder tasting canola oil. OlivExtra® Original provides consumers with a simple, affordable and convenient way of substituting monounsaturated fat for a similar amount of saturated fat without increasing calories.

"Special scientific combination"? What does that even mean?

And "substituting monounsaturated fat for a similar amount of saturated fat without increasing calories"? Nice one, marketing department...

If you want a real WTF moment, you should see the "Grape-ola" ones they sell. It's a grapeseed and canola blend. The label actually brags about how much Omega-6 it has in it. :noway:
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I often get nausea with chicken and have done so for years. I have no idea why. It comes in waves that feel like motion sickness or morning sickness. I will also get it from a beef steak but not beef mince (burger meet I think US folks call it).

The fresher and leaner the meat, the sicker I feel. Though roast chicken is not lean so I don't think I am of any help :-)

I have that issue with chicken. Ground or shredded, or even pounding out with a mallet before it's cooked, it does ok. Straight off a roast chicken or pieces that weren't tenderized first, my stomach isn't interested.
  • ChairmanWow
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    "Special scientific combination"? What does that even mean?

I hear ya. So, when my mom comes to visit, she brings a lot of products. Things that seem healthy, many things that are not. She bought a JUG of that stuff at Ollie's for $7. She's not about to pass up a bargain, regardless of the product. The stuff is truly weird. I feel like the marketing must be "All the smell of olive oil, without the cost or flavor!" I have never heard of Grape-ola.

Grape-Cola on the other hand. :wink:

• ChairmanWow
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I often get nausea with chicken and have done so for years. I have no idea why. It comes in waves that feel like motion sickness or morning sickness.

That is the exactly description of how I felt. Motion-sickness. I don't think I've ever felt that way from chicken, or if I did, I must have ascribed it to something else. I think I'm going to lay off the chicken for a bit. Even if it wasn't the exact cause, I can't say I'm psyched about having any.
  • LaurenLK
    LaurenLK Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Looks like I am going to be eating a lot of chicken. Don't we have two huge things of drumsticks and thighs in the fridge? The kids like drumsticks too, thank goodness. Yeah. That was weird last night. We ate exactly the same thing for lunch and dinner. It turned me off the chicken too because you looked so ill. I started doubting myself. But nope, felt fine. Sooooo....steaks tonight?
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I know this is a bit out of left field, but sometimes if food has upset me I only need to hold the container to have a physical response to it. Can you just hold the container of oil, then hold some chicken and see if your body will 'tell you' which item it was? Sounds a lot like it was the oil though - yuk!
  • ChairmanWow
    Options
    That doesn't sound odd at all. I held the container of oil all the way out to the recycling bin, and it gave me bad feelings the whole way. Smelling the oil didn't really make me feel gross, but when I smelled the smoked chicken again, I immediately felt sick.

BTW - I like that I know someone from Australia now. :smile:
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound odd at all. I held the container of oil all the way out to the recycling bin, and it gave me bad feelings the whole way.
    LOL now that's funny!
    Smelling the oil didn't really make me feel gross, but when I smelled the smoked chicken again, I immediately felt sick.
    But that's not. I hope it's all a fading memory by now.
    BTW - I like that I know someone from Australia now. :smile:
    I'm glad that you do too. I'm in that little dot on the lower left named Perth.