Ouch! My progress is...declining. Help?

Options
laoul
laoul Posts: 9 Member
Hello all, I'm going on my second week of C25K and I'm unsure what is going on with my progress. I am very overweight and have never run before (I'm going MWF), but I had gotten better with each attempt and had an awesome day Monday where I actually jogged each interval AFTER walking 2 miles to get to the track (wore totally non-supportive slip on shoes even). Wednesday though, I literally thought I was going to die and unable to run but half of the program complete with near asthma attacks after interval (had proper tennis shoes this time). I can barely lift anything with my legs due to the pain in my knees and shins. My knees constantly crack. I am so weak. What can I do? I don't want to lose momentum and confidence since both are fragile with me. I can't believe I'm doing this in the first place. Any advice would be great. Thank you!

My stride is small (around 8 steps per 5 yards) whether I'm walking or jogging. I can actually walk faster than my jogging stride at the moment.

Replies

• mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to pop in and say YOU CAN DO THIS. I BELIEVE IN YOU. Hang in there :)
    Best advice I have read on here is...
    Go slow, and if you think you already are, you can still go slower..
    Get some proper running shoes.
    Belly breathe.
    Run with music, it seriously makes a difference. I downloaded some beats per minute music and it has helped hugely.
    Stretch well, especially calves and shins.
    Make sure you rest on rest days.
    It's only week one, some soreness and muscle fatigue is to be expected, especially if like me you are still carrying a lot of weight.
    It seems impossible at the beginning, trust the program, trust yourself. I am constantly self talking during the runs. Positive things, I can do this, I have done it before so I can do it today, keep going, you go this.
    I have just finished week 4 so am still a newbie myself. Week 4 for me was 2 x 3 minute runs, 2x 5 minute runs. Me, I ran for 16 minutes today. Amazing.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    laoul wrote: »
    Hello all, I'm going on my second week of C25K and I'm unsure what is going on with my progress. I am very overweight and have never run before (I'm going MWF), but I had gotten better with each attempt and had an awesome day Monday where I actually jogged each interval AFTER walking 2 miles to get to the track (wore totally non-supportive slip on shoes even). Wednesday though, I literally thought I was going to die and unable to run but half of the program complete with near asthma attacks after interval (had proper tennis shoes this time). I can barely lift anything with my legs due to the pain in my knees and shins. My knees constantly crack. I am so weak. What can I do? I don't want to lose momentum and confidence since both are fragile with me. I can't believe I'm doing this in the first place. Any advice would be great. Thank you!

My stride is small (around 8 steps per 5 yards) whether I'm walking or jogging. I can actually walk faster than my jogging stride at the moment.

See a medical practitioner, get checked out and follow their advice. If you are having severe medical reactions to exercise stop and get proper advice, don't listen to quackary on an internet forum. It might be right but do you want your future life, health determined but peoples reaction to your posts.

I hope you get some great advice from some professionals about the best way for you to continue on your journey. Well done for getting up and starting, well done for asking for help. Now ask people better qualified than us.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ... near asthma attacks after interval
    I can barely lift anything with my legs due to the pain in my knees and shins.

I would suggest, as Robbie, that you see your GP. They should be able to advise on best use of your asthma treatment to avoid induced attacks and may be able to advise on the leg pain.

There are a wide range of potential causes of knee and shin pain and without significantly more detail it's near impossible to advise you here.
  • laoul
    laoul Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the advice. I will go see my GP about it. I can already hear him say that I need to lose weight for my problems to go away. *sighs* But, at least I'll get a better inhaler hopefully. :-)
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the advice. I will go see my GP about it. I can already hear him say that I need to lose weight for my problems to go away. *sighs* But, at least I'll get a better inhaler hopefully. :-)

It's not so much the losing weight, but they may offer some advice about how much stress your body can take. THe last thing you need is to overdo it and be in a worse position than before.

• aemganesh
    aemganesh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am a newbie runner, so take this with a grain of sand, but in my experience, i would say.... On top of seeing your doctor, go drop the coin on good running shoes and inserts. They will make a world of difference regarding your leg pain. Also, Google running techniques and you may find some advise about form that you find helpful, I know it's helped me!
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    1. See if you can find a GP with a sports medicine background or that also does sports medicine. My clinic is also a sports medicine clinic and how they handle my injuries and illnesses is miles different from the way my old doctor handled them as they know I run and that I will continue to run and this practice respects the obsession. This practice actually encourages physical activity of any kind and will bend over backwards to do things to make it possible for their patients to exercise. (For example, the old GP gave me steriod pills for bursitis, so I couldn't run for a week until the pills worked. The new doc gives me my choice. I can take a shot to my hip and be fine in 72 hours or a painful shot straight to the inflamed bursa and be back on the road in 24 hours. Either way, I'm not out of running for very long!)

2. Running surface matters. The worst surface you can run on is concrete. If you are running on that now, stop if at all possible. The best surfaceis probably a good clay track, but most people run on asphalt and that's fine enough. I'm an asphalt road runner myself. There's a concrete sidewalk 5 feet away from the road I run on, but I don't touch it.

3. Shoes. Not tennies. Go to a shoe store that caters to runners armed with large amounts of cash and buy what you're told, at least the first time. After this, you can go to the outlets and online and get exactly what you got before. ;-), but for this time, get the shoe they tell you to get and pay for both the professional advice and the shoe. It makes a world of difference.