Talking about carbs...

Options
homesweeths
homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
Huh. Was watching Youtube videos this afternoon, mainly because I've caught a cold (how did that happen?) and feel like vegging. I started out watching Paleo or primal themed videos, and stumbled on a string of "high fat low carb" videos. Then I watched this one -- and something she said rang true to me (at least, true to the way my body works).

She talked about how ultra-low carb eating hadn't worked well for her, how she was suffering from moodiness. (I had watched a couple of other videos along her journey -- she'd lost 45 lbs in a year, and then struggled more and more and gained half of it back, but in this latest video she sounds happy and very positive about what she's learned/learning about how her body works.) She said she'd researched and read things by people like Chris Kresser, and then she said something that made me sit up and listen. She said she'd eat some higher carb veggies like beets or sweet potatoes and still feel as if she were in keto (is that how you say it?), with the same feelings as other people she knew who were keeping their carbs under 20 or 30 daily grams.

This resonated with me, because I feel as if I go into fat-burning mode when my carbs are between 50 and 80g a day. If I drop much below 50, I don't do as well.

Maybe it's where my body's "set point" is set? I go into fat-burning mode if my carbs are between 50-80g, and I start craving carbs if I have more than two days in a row above 100g. I don't know how scientific all this is, but it's a good reminder that everyone's body is unique and I need to listen to my body and really pay attention to what it's trying to tell me.

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0jZv81rg0c

Replies

• SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Good video, I love her being truthful about her experiences. Just goes to show one size does not fit all, we are all different and need to listen to our bodies, and also our own obsessions can collide with our own health if we do not listen.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I CAN go full keto at 20-30g, and feel good, but that excludes many things I love (I love produce of all kinds!). SO I have found that I am the same as you that if I do 50g-80g, or even 100g net carb I am good as long as I keep active. Not everyone is the same, and feeling good is the key no matter what that means to you.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I'd lose my ever loving mind only eating 20-30g of carbs a day, I'd have to restrict my veggies and that would make me sad :( not to mention god forbid I wanted the rare treat of 1 banana :lol:
    I'm just starting to get into paleo though so I don't know much.
  • cindytw
    Options
    I'd lose my ever loving mind only eating 20-30g of carbs a day, I'd have to restrict my veggies and that would make me sad :( not to mention god forbid I wanted the rare treat of 1 banana :lol:

It is good for the most part, for me, but I miss things and I hate having to ration broccoli! But I feel good on it!
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Well, 20-30 NET carbs will let you eat a good amount of veggies. I don't use the net carbs idea, I just go with what MFP shows and count carbs that way. I tend to stay between 75 and 125 grams of carb a day, some days more. When I am more active I need more.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    High carb made me sick/fat, moderate carb kept me sick/fat, low carb helped a little temporarily, very low carb worked until it didn't. I struggle with cravings even at 20 grams of carbs so for me I had nowhere else to go but to no carbs from plant foods.

I agree that not everyone is like me and will do better on higher carbs, but I've met a bunch of people who've had the same experience as I've had that no amount of plant carbs worked well. Perhaps a metabolic system can be so damaged that it just cannot recover on a "normal" diet?

It's only 18 days, so it's still an experiment in progress, but based on the experience of some other long term non plant eaters, for people with similar health problems as I have, an animal based woe is worth looking at. I'm still Paleo, I've eliminated the dairy (except butter), just only with animal foods. ;)

PS: I was displaying symptoms of vitamin deficiencies (magnesium and potassium for sure) on Paleo and even though it's only 18 days of eating no plants, all of those symptoms have vanished which is surprising to me.

This was shared just for contrast, not to tell anyone that they are doing anything wrong!
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I just did a quick glance over the past week or two of my food diary and it looks like my "sweet spot" is between 40-50 carbs. I logged my last weight loss when I was running an average of 40-ish carbs per day.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    That actually follows with Mark Sisson's carbohydrate curve. He labels the 50-100g range as the "weight loss sweet spot" and isn't a fan of prolonged times deep in ketosis or "zero" carb eating.

I've personally found that I have maintenance firmly locked with carb levels anywhere from about 20 to 100g, but in order to lose weight and fix the rest of my health issues, I've found that, like @Akimajuktuq, I've had to move completely away from plants and do a wholly animal-based diet. As it stands, I'll probably bring some vegetables back in after I reach my weight and health goals, since I already know I can do so without too much detriment, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. As much as I love fruits and some vegetables, if they hurt me more than they help, I have to treat them just like I would anything else that does the same thing.

I think Mark's curve is a good starting point, and with the exception of those of us with really screwed up systems, works well for most people, especially as they get closer to their ideal weights.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »

It is good for the most part, for me, but I miss things and I hate having to ration broccoli! But I feel good on it!

Sadly, bananas have to be a rare treat for me. They can trigger carb cravings for me. However, once in a while I'll really have a strong desire for a banana (like if it's been a really stressful few days), and if I eat one, I feel better and don't get the next-day cravings. I figure those are the times I'm low in potassium, or something.

So, in short, I don't eat banana unless I really, really want some, and if that's the case, I find it satisfying and find that a little (half to one whole) goes a long way.
  • homesweeths
    Options
    High carb made me sick/fat, moderate carb kept me sick/fat, low carb helped a little temporarily, very low carb worked until it didn't. I struggle with cravings even at 20 grams of carbs so for me I had nowhere else to go but to no carbs from plant foods.

I agree that not everyone is like me and will do better on higher carbs, but I've met a bunch of people who've had the same experience as I've had that no amount of plant carbs worked well. Perhaps a metabolic system can be so damaged that it just cannot recover on a "normal" diet?

It's only 18 days, so it's still an experiment in progress, but based on the experience of some other long term non plant eaters, for people with similar health problems as I have, an animal based woe is worth looking at. I'm still Paleo, I've eliminated the dairy (except butter), just only with animal foods. ;)

PS: I was displaying symptoms of vitamin deficiencies (magnesium and potassium for sure) on Paleo and even though it's only 18 days of eating no plants, all of those symptoms have vanished which is surprising to me.

This was shared just for contrast, not to tell anyone that they are doing anything wrong!

Wow, I'm so glad to read this update! I'm glad this is working for you.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    yeah I looked at a website about zero carb eating and frankly I could NEVER do that, but if people are happy and healthy doing it, more power to them.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options

I'm still Paleo, I've eliminated the dairy (except butter), just only with animal foods. ;)

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Oops, I forgot to add my own comments above. I am doing something similar right now. I have been primal for almost 5 years, but found my weight loss was only averaging 10 pounds per year simply by eliminating grains and starchy stuff like rice and potatoes, so thought I'd try lowering my carb intake and upping my fat consumption, and so far it's working.

I've been eating a more keto / primal diet, including some dairy for the last 2 months and have lost 20 pounds since Jan 1/15. But now I think I need to be a bit more careful and watch my intake of dairy, nuts and vegetables. I am now aiming for about 10 g carbs/day, but will still keep some avocado and leafy greens mainly for the potassium, but will focus on mainly meat and eggs and fats for most of my calories. I do supplement with Vitamins C and D, Omega 3 fish oil and magnesium.

But all of this is an experiment and may change. As I go, I get more and more comfortable giving up the carbs, and keep feeling better and better.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I don't know why people say "I would never do that". I'm not telling anyone they have to, just sharing that when nothing else fully resolve an issue there may be other options. If one is sick and nothing is working people will try things they never imagined. Being well is worth anything. I'm still in the experiment, day 22, so I still don't know what the long term effects are, but I've lost over 5 pounds effortlessly, after a year and a half of nothing but struggles and going more up than down with body fat.
  • cindytw
    Options
    I don't know why people say "I would never do that". I'm not telling anyone they have to, just sharing that when nothing else fully resolve an issue there may be other options. If one is sick and nothing is working people will try things they never imagined. Being well is worth anything. I'm still in the experiment, day 22, so I still don't know what the long term effects are, but I've lost over 5 pounds effortlessly, after a year and a half of nothing but struggles and going more up than down with body fat.

I think it is because we have a stronger attachment and love of vegetation! I would say that too, right now, that I would never do that. BUT if I found I HAD to for some reason, I guess I would. But I would be posting cheats of fruit and roasted brussels sprouts!! I would be like "I can't do this, I have to have my berries and burnt brussels sprouts!! What am I gonna do??!"
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    ^I wouldn't for a minute suggest everyone should, but dismissing it annoyed me. I'm not doing it because it sounded like fun, but because nothing else has worked. Having my diabetes symptoms return with a vengeance and the increasing vitamin and mineral deficiencies - I had to figure something out; try something different.

But it actually is kind of fun to eat to live, rather than live to eat. I spend so little time messing about with food that it's liberating. I've got so much time for other things in life suddenly. I didn't even know that would be a pro of this new WOE. It's been WAY easier than I thought it would be and my transition has been smoother than many others who are doing the same WOE, but I agree that the mental block would be greater for most other people. Having lived close to aboriginal people in the Arctic and sub-Arctic most of my life made it a much easier thing to consider.
  • cindytw
    Options
    ^I wouldn't for a minute suggest everyone should, but dismissing it annoyed me. I'm not doing it because it sounded like fun, but because nothing else has worked. Having my diabetes symptoms return with a vengeance and the increasing vitamin and mineral deficiencies - I had to figure something out; try something different.

But it actually is kind of fun to eat to live, rather than live to eat. I spend so little time messing about with food that it's liberating. I've got so much time for other things in life suddenly. I didn't even know that would be a pro of this new WOE. It's been WAY easier than I thought it would be and my transition has been smoother than many others who are doing the same WOE, but I agree that the mental block would be greater for most other people. Having lived close to aboriginal people in the Arctic and sub-Arctic most of my life made it a much easier thing to consider.

Glad it is working for you! I understand the dismissal and your point both. I totally dismiss it for ME because I am not at a point that I could do it. But I am also really glad it is working for you and don't take anything away from that. It is good for those who need to and CAN!
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    How in the heck are people getting around 50g of carbs?!? The carbs in veggies and fruit really add up. I'm assuming most of your day is meat and nuts? I'm lucky to stay under my goal of 130g.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Meat is the heart of the paleo diet (no pun intended)... :p

Most vegetables are pretty low in carbohydrates. If you're looking to eat less carbs, try eating more leafy greens, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, asparagus, brussels sprouts, etc. Avoid starchy veg and try not to eat too much fruit.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    ^this. It makes my heart sing to see someone say "meat is the heart of the Paleo diet" because I think that is true.

It's VERY easy to be Paleo and be under 50 grams of carbs. You can eat so many veggies on that allotment (if one desires and tolerates them)! Most people with any extra fat are best off avoiding fruit anyway. Sugar matters. Nuts aren't a good food to be consuming lots of and they are pretty carby as well. Avoiding grains? Well nuts have the same negative effects on the body.