Sugar reaction

Options
QuilterGirl3
QuilterGirl3 Posts: 99 Member
Several years ago I cut sugar out of my diet. This was before I had decided to have WLS. I've noticed that now when I see anything really sugary like cake, I have a strong, negative reaction. I automatically find it so unappealing and my body almost physically reacts with my stomach clenching. A friend posted a photo of a huge Boston cream pie on FB. I actually had to click away from it because it made me ill to look at. This is not what happens with salty foods, which I still crave occasionally. Has anyone else had this reaction?

Replies

• nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Not exactly the same but I am finding as I prepare for surgery I avoid looking at the bakery and breads in the grocery store. And I am not thinking about snack foods as much. Switched to caffein-free soda and I think I am close to conquering my cravings for that.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    After my vsg, five years ago, I couldn't stand to see pictures, or commercials, of food. It turned my stomach too! Lasted a few months for me. I hope yours doesn't last that long! Smells of food would get me too, and that didn't go away until I converted to RNY in Jan. 2015. Best to you!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm a little different. I don't mind the look or smell of sweets. However, I've tried a few bites and it really makes me feel bad. I'm coming to accept that I should just skip eating them, not matter how good I think they look.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Nothing's changed for me. There are times I would stab a nun in the eye with a fork in exchange for a Boston Cream Pie. So far I haven't given in.
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Nothing's changed for me. There are times I would stab a nun in the eye with a fork in exchange for a Boston Cream Pie. So far I haven't given in.

I'm sorry, this imagery just made me laugh out loud. Maybe it's the 13 years of Catholic school...
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    And I was wondering grim-traveler if you resisted the nun and fork thing or the pie?
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    And I was wondering grim-traveler if you resisted the nun and fork thing or the pie?

So far, both. But, there are days I've been close . . .
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I suppose then that would be a NSV.
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Visuals don't faze me but the smell of meat is another story. Oddly enough I can cook and eat pretty much any meat with the exception of beef, yet as soon as I finish my meal, I can no longer stomach the smell of it. I have a very hard time cleaning up and storing any left overs as I really want to throw up from the smell.. Crazy..

Gotta tell ya that is hilarious! If I run in to any one eyed nuns I'll know you caved...
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    At six months post RNY I don't really have any food aversions, and while I don't crave carbs the way I used to when I eat a little dessert to "reward" myself, it leaves me feeling yucky which is great because now I really don't even want any sweets. Similarly, I essentially stopped eating bread/rice/pasta - and the two times I've eaten a burger with a bun it also left me feeling less well than if I'd discarded the bun first.
  • QuilterGirl3
    QuilterGirl3 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    FYI -- I haven't even had my surgery yet. I guess this sugar aversion is definitely a good thing!
  • maries31964
    maries31964 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You are so lucky to have the aversion. I am 10 years out of RNY and after 5 years of perfection gave in to carbs, now I am Severe Reactive Hypoglycemic. I have almost died twice and now after taking 5 years for doctors including my own Bypass doc to diagnose me and get my Macro Nutrients figured out I can start to lose the 50 I gained back. Its not a fun trip so my advice to all, if you do want carbs COMPLEX WHOLE GRAINS and limited. NO UNATURAL sugars. Use your fruits and even then low glycemic high fiber and small amounts. Nothing tastes as good as feeling and being healthy is.
  • lmryoung
    lmryoung Posts: 47 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

OMG, thank you for this awesome post -- I will be laughing about this all day!