Anyone else not ever feel the need to eat or am I the only freak of nature?

Options
PasPlus
PasPlus Posts: 31 Member
So rarely making it to 500 Cals a day and without trying to reduce intake is bad right? I wish I could get to even 800. I even threw myself out of ketosis (and up to 150g carb) for a week to try and boost my system, but then got right back into ketosis with no cravings, flu or hunger - just a sigh of relief.

I love LCHF, I love not being hungry, I love feeling healthy and in control and for the first time in my life I actually don't hate how I look but..... I am actually starting to worry about being too thin and being totally uninterested in eating. Note I have good energy levels but do not exercise much other then walking at least a half hour a day as I worry it will make me lose more weight. I am considering adding 30-45 mins of cardio a day to try and increase appetite but it has previously had the opposite effect. Currently less than 10g carb and around 75-80% calories from fat a day.

Carbs and dairy (other than butter) just make me bloat and feel really sick so I have stopped forcing the issue. I never read anything about people with my problem - only that LCHF will eventually get you to a stable plateau. I am still losing weight and my most recent BMI was 16.7 - any ideas when this may stop reducing? Anyone else with this problem/worry? (sorry to those who feel this would be a great problem to have - I used to be one of you).

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's not just you. Another thread from earlier today:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10153369/starvation-mode

I'm just in range of a normal BMI, but it does freak me out a bit that I tried to get into maintenance for about a month, and I kept losing weight.

Exercise does help me in terms of increased hunger, but the satiety force is strong in me, so even when I eat more, I'm still in a deficit. I can't even over-eat macadamia nuts.

Maybe find a higher level of carbs that keeps you in keto but increases calories/hunger enough to keep your weight stable. For example, some sweet BBQ sauces, and perhaps an occasional sushi binge would probably keep me weight-stable.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I'm only hungry if I go over 60g/day, but going over 60g/day is otherwise massively inconvenient because my options are limited. Use fat bombs and other small, calorie dense options to get energy in even if you're not hungry.

Also, is it all carbs that make you bloat, or is it starches that make you bloat? If you tried adding in carrots or plums, could you stomach those? That could be enough to get your hunger hormones firing again and let you eat at maintenance.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    PasPlus wrote: »
    So rarely making it to 500 Cals a day and without trying to reduce intake is bad right? I wish I could get to even 800. I even threw myself out of ketosis (and up to 150g carb) for a week to try and boost my system, but then got right back into ketosis with no cravings, flu or hunger - just a sigh of relief.

I love LCHF, I love not being hungry, I love feeling healthy and in control and for the first time in my life I actually don't hate how I look but..... I am actually starting to worry about being too thin and being totally uninterested in eating. Note I have good energy levels but do not exercise much other then walking at least a half hour a day as I worry it will make me lose more weight. I am considering adding 30-45 mins of cardio a day to try and increase appetite but it has previously had the opposite effect. Currently less than 10g carb and around 75-80% calories from fat a day.

Carbs and dairy (other than butter) just make me bloat and feel really sick so I have stopped forcing the issue. I never read anything about people with my problem - only that LCHF will eventually get you to a stable plateau. I am still losing weight and my most recent BMI was 16.7 - any ideas when this may stop reducing? Anyone else with this problem/worry? (sorry to those who feel this would be a great problem to have - I used to be one of you).

Are you saying your total daily intake is only around 500 calories a day long term?

• PasPlus
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Also, is it all carbs that make you bloat, or is it starches that make you bloat? If you tried adding in carrots or plums, could you stomach those? That could be enough to get your hunger hormones firing again and let you eat at maintenance.

I get stomach cramps rather than bloating from most fruits (& high sugar foods) sadly - especially stone fruits, apples, pears & melons. You are correct in your suggestion - worst effects are from grains and starches and my small amounts of carb are from leafy vegies and sometimes eggs but I do worry about eating sugary foods such as carrots & bananas. I am currently living/working in Asia and cheese, cream, nut butters etc. are really expensive, so the dairy, which can make me put on weight, has mostly gone also. I would have thought a week of overeating (1500 cals even on one day!) would have fired things up a bit - not so.

Changing my lifestyle has been the best and worst thing I have ever done - I know so much about myself now but I do worry about developing fears of some foods - clear the psychologists couch, here I come ;)

Thanks for your comments - have a meaty Monday!
  • PasPlus
    Options
    Are you saying your total daily intake is only around 500 calories a day long term?

It has been under 500 calories on average for the past almost 5 weeks now, except for my blow out week last week. I do not choose to eat so little but don't really want to change too much either - too many health benefits. I am somehow not wasting away which is good but I am not sure I can stabilise. When I go 'home' I shall probably give in to dairy and a wider range of cruciferous vegies and will (as always) develop an almost eating compulsion (within allowed macro %'s) but without hunger (to prevent negative comments from family) and put on around a Kg a week!!! - very scary scenario unless I can control it now. If I stay mostly carnivorous I may keep losing so it feels like a no win situation - I can't find the happy middle ground.

Sorry, this probably sounds confusing but it would be good to hear from anyone with a similar 'dilemma'.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I count calories along with carbs. I can find myself eating 800 calories a day and that's just not good.
    I force myself to eat at least my BMR. I also break food up into 4-5 meals.
    Almonds (high in calories) are my friend. So are protein shakes that I make. When I just am not hungry but still need more, I;ll whip up one of those.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    For the most part I still have a normal appetite but I can get into streaks of eating too little and if that's the case I force myself to eat more even if I'm not hungry.

500 calories a day for a month is not enough. For someone with a BMI of 16.7 it's absolutely dangerous -- you are starving yourself. You need to force yourself to eat more whether you're hungry or not. If you can't make yourself eat a healthy amount of calories each and every day please get some help. This isn't a keto side affect, it's an eating disorder.

I hope you get a handle on this soon. :heart:
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I am going to a bit more emphatic .... You are killing yourself eating at these levels. You need to get professional help immediately. You do not need advice from us... You need a medical doctor and a therapist today.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

I get stomach cramps rather than bloating from most fruits (& high sugar foods) sadly - especially stone fruits, apples, pears & melons. You are correct in your suggestion - worst effects are from grains and starches and my small amounts of carb are from leafy vegies and sometimes eggs but I do worry about eating sugary foods such as carrots & bananas. I am currently living/working in Asia and cheese, cream, nut butters etc. are really expensive, so the dairy, which can make me put on weight, has mostly gone also. I would have thought a week of overeating (1500 cals even on one day!) would have fired things up a bit - not so.

Changing my lifestyle has been the best and worst thing I have ever done - I know so much about myself now but I do worry about developing fears of some foods - clear the psychologists couch, here I come ;)

Thanks for your comments - have a meaty Monday!

It has been under 500 calories on average for the past almost 5 weeks now, except for my blow out week last week. I do not choose to eat so little but don't really want to change too much either - too many health benefits. I am somehow not wasting away which is good but I am not sure I can stabilise. When I go 'home' I shall probably give in to dairy and a wider range of cruciferous vegies and will (as always) develop an almost eating compulsion (within allowed macro %'s) but without hunger (to prevent negative comments from family) and put on around a Kg a week!!! - very scary scenario unless I can control it now. If I stay mostly carnivorous I may keep losing so it feels like a no win situation - I can't find the happy middle ground.

Sorry, this probably sounds confusing but it would be good to hear from anyone with a similar 'dilemma'.

The dairy makes you put on weight because of bloating. You should be able to get cruciferous vegetables where you're at already, though. Why are you worried about the sugary foods? Right now, you need to find a way to eat more, and if the sugary fruits and vegetables help you with that, then that's a good thing. Introduce them in a controlled manner while you still have control over the food in your house, and it should make going "home" easier.

Also, how tall are you? 1500 isn't overeating, unless you're very short, and even then, it's pretty close to maintenance.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    A BMI of 16.7 is very low . I would seek medical attention . Find out why your appetite is so low
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    steffiejoe wrote: »
    A BMI of 16.7 is very low . I would seek medical attention . Find out why your appetite is so low

This^^^! You need a professional physical from an MD at the very least, and a referral to a gastroenterologist and immunologist/allergist. Something seems off to me.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Have you ever struggled with an eating disorder in the past? I am genuinely concerned about a couple of things you mentioned that I may be misperceiving. I'm gathering that you've become uncomfortable eating over a certain amount or eating certain foods. This diet may have triggered something deeper for you. The second thing I picked up is what being around family is like for you. You'll eat more to please them. Have they previously been concerned about your weight? I'm also concerned that you're looking for others to validate the little amount you've been eating. As though others saying they too struggle hitting daily caloric goals will ok it for you.

Now, maybe you've never suffered from an eating disorder in the past but that doesn't mean you don't need some help. A good therapist can help you overcome a lot of discomforts with food. There are also a few topics on MFP about what to do once you've hit goal. I can't help but wonder if your inability to eat 1200+ calories is psychological, not physical.

Some of the things you're saying are text book eating disorder. Someone very close to me suffered for years. She would tell everyone she just didn't really like food. She still does this. She claims she's thin because she doesn't like food. She also claims she gets sick from all kinds of food but doctors have confirmed this isn't true. She's suffering from anorexia. Please talk to someone and get help if any of this is ringing true. Again, I'm not trying to be hurtful. Feel free to tell me to eff off. I'm just concerned.
  • pkroyle
    pkroyle Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm assuming you're female? If your BMI is so low, it might be time to start adding more carbs into your diet. You mentioned you live in Asia....rice is the second best form of starch you can eat after sweet potatoes. When no appetite has hit me in the past, I started adding sweet potato to my breakfast and helped me feel better through out the day. Go on pinterest and look up some paleo recipes. You can still eat healthy real food without necessarily being LCHF. 500 calories a day is not enough....you're putting so much strain on your organs and you can do more damage to your health in the long run.

I agree with going to see a doctor. You could have a hormone imbalance or thyroid issue. If you have a leptin imbalance (it's the hormone that tells you when you're hungry), it could be tricking your appetite into thinking you're full when you're actually in starvation mode. The book Well Fed does a great job of explaining how food effects your hormones.
  • Lillahe
    Lillahe Posts: 37 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    PasPlus, at one time I was convinced I could only eat certain foods since my stomach cramped up or hurt otherwise. Everyday I thought it hurts to be hungry but it hurts to eat too. Imagine how paralyzing that was. When my friends and family saw how thin I was getting they took me to the doctor for a full gui (If I remember right) scan. The doctors words I do remember very clearly, "You have beautiful guts."
    Then she asked me and my then husband into her office and asked, "How are things between you?" Short story- All this time I thought I was allergic to different foods wasn't true for me. When I got out of the relationship I started to heal. But that's just my experience and maybe food for thought.
  • PasPlus
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the amazing support you have shown to someone you don't even know. I am not an unintelligent person and am worried, although I have to keep saying - I feel great. Your comments put paid to the May challenge I think.

Sometimes I guess the obvious needs to be shouted in your face. I have made an appointment with my GP for when I return to civilisation in a couple of weeks. To fill in a huge gap in my story.......I went LCHF after a melanoma diagnosis mid last year. I know of the prognosis if it returns and I know that starving it of glucose will go a long way to preventing that and maybe that is the primary fear of foods that contain reasonable carb levels and sugar especially.

In response to Teraliel - I have had a very complex past 10 years and am almost 'free' but the person still lives in the same area and is not out of my life - I am still his only income. There have been so many other stresses that I literally should not still be upright. My GP has said more than once that I need to give up work and rest for at least 6 months but my children need a life and education! Unfortunately my best opportunities are overseas at present. I left a VERY stressful (80 hour a week) job at the end of last year and my new job means I only have to work for 4 months of the year - but I am a workaholic so let's see what happens :-) This year I hope to clear some space to allow me some 'me' time which we all need. I am too good at looking after everyone else and absolutely rubbish at looking after myself. I am thinking of starting a new business focused on health and nutrition - science based and something sustainable to help others with significant health issues that CAN be resolved through lifestyle and nutrition - and yes I am qualified to do this. Anyone want to come along for the adventure? :p

I did not want to be validated on 500 calories, but if others thought there was a problem then that is what I needed to hear. Sorry for the dissertation - but I am not completely crazy. I just needed the opinion of other rational humans and maybe a virtual hug. Thank you all so much - I wish you an amazing week.

Now where is the tissue box........
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You're the same amount of crazy as every other human. We all take on our own form of crazy. I hope nothing I said was hurtful. Good luck!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    What a journey @PasPlus! I'm so glad you've already made the appointment with your doctor. I can understand the food phobia, so to speak. With that diagnosis on me I would do whatever it took to stay as healthy as I possibly can. You've gotten yourself to a point where you can maintain that health but, it can only be you who decides to do that. It sounds like you definitely need that "me" time and I hope you get lots of it very soon. Best to you!
  • Lillahe
    Lillahe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I sure do hope you get that me time as well. Sooner the better. Good luck with your business endeavors!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    *Hug*
    Sometimes that's the best thing anyone can offer....
  • PasPlus
    Options
    Thank you all for your support. I have given up on the May meatavore challenge and forced down 40g of almonds last night even though I really didn't feel like eating (mindless bowl to mouth eating in front of the TV worked). I did however make it just over 500 calories (& only 6 carbs!) :) nothing really to brag about but good for me. I am going to force the over 500 calories a day non negotiable requirement then try and increase by at least 150 cals with a 20 carbs limit each week.

I realise a couple of questions above were not answered - my apologies. For Dragonwolf - I am 172cm. For m_puppy - you have only helped not hurt in any way so thank you. I will beat this thing - but will not give up the LCHF way.

MFP is an amazing family and I wish good things that give you reason to smile every day and a sustained healthy WOE to each of you. :)