Coconut Oil, BPC...

Options
DianaElena76
DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
I found some coconut oil at Aldi last weekend and bought a small jar thinking I might try some of this BPC everyone talks about, but I don't have an immersion blender and everyone in the house is asleep when I get up in the morning. Is there a quieter method than a blender? Am I correct that it's just butter or HWC, coconut oil, and coffee? Does it have to be grass fed butter and high quality coffee like the Bullet Proof guy says? Also, any other good uses for the coconut oil?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D I just put in coffee/100% cocoa and add the hot water followed by 4-5 tablespoons (start with 1 since you are new to coconut oil). I stir with the coconut oil spoon and when melted I add 1-2 oz of HWC (heavy whipping cream) and drink it like coffee. The rest of the house is still sleeping in my case too. No blender is required to buy and clean. :)
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I like to use grass fed dairy products whenever possible. As a general rule, I think you should go for the highest quality products that your lifestyle can support. Obviously this is all within the realm of reason, and everyone is different. For myself, I can't afford to buy grass fed/pastured meat all the time, so often I go for leaner cuts and then add some grass fed butter for extra fat. But I digress...
    I use Kerrygold unsalted butter (this seems to be the gold standard), virgin coconut oil, cinnamon, a few drops of good quality vanilla extract and some regular, non-organic tea. I blend it in a pyrex measuring cup with a hand blender which works well enough for me.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You can also use a shaker cup (that can handle hot drinks) or thermos to blend everything. If you don't mind the oil sitting on the top (I don't) then just stir well and keep stirring. I found one of these http://www.amazon.com/frother-cordless-coffee-blender-Produkt/dp/B00QDLYA10 and it is not too loud :) This reseller has really hiked up the price, though. Mine was $4 and I later found a bunch on sale at Ikea for $1!
  • ThisOrderedLife
    ThisOrderedLife Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use a protein shaker... let the coffee cool a bit and was doing 1small scoop coconut oil, 25-50g of butter and a scoop of protein powder to make a coffee mocha thing.

I don't care about the noise as my other morning drink was a smoothie in the blender
  • ChairmanWow
    ChairmanWow Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you have a french press, you can just put everything in and pump the plunger up and down a bunch of times. Completely quiet and creates a good immersion.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    As for the "any other good uses for the coconut oil"- I use it to cook/fry anything that needs oil. Besides that, its my go-to cleanser/makeup remover, and is great for healing callouses & cracks on feet. I used it every night for a month almost 15 years ago and they've never come back.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil in my homemade toothpaste!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    I found some coconut oil at Aldi last weekend and bought a small jar thinking I might try some of this BPC everyone talks about, but I don't have an immersion blender and everyone in the house is asleep when I get up in the morning. Is there a quieter method than a blender? Am I correct that it's just butter or HWC, coconut oil, and coffee? Does it have to be grass fed butter and high quality coffee like the Bullet Proof guy says? Also, any other good uses for the coconut oil?

As for other uses - it is great in cooking, as others mentioned, I use it to heal sunburn (or prevent it lightly), to soften skin, in homemade toothpaste, and of course, the obvious, in fat bombs!

I know it is sacrilege, but I do mine in a water bottle (once and done - I toss it). It immerses pretty well. It works for the primal egg version too. I know the heat can leech chemicals, but it's either this or not have it.

camtosh wrote: »
    You can also use a shaker cup (that can handle hot drinks) or thermos to blend everything.

I'd love to hear more about a shaker cup that handles hot drinks! Anyone have a link? My friend at work gave me a shaker cup, but is obviously not intended for heated drinks and is sprayed everywhere in the first few shakes!!!
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I do prefer it blended, but I just keep a jar of coconut oil at work and stir it into my coffee...the taste is the same, the consistency is not. As others have said, I also use coconut oil in cooking & as a skin moisturizer. I did try the oil pulling thing...but I could not get used to the texture. I've used it as a base oil when making a natural flea/tick/bug repellent for camping and mixed essential oils into it...we used it on ourselves and the dog with success.
  • KSMussey
    KSMussey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil, butter, a few drops of stevia and some coffee in a cup and stir with a spoon or fork. The oil and butter will come to the top but you will only get a little of each per sip. The best reason for doing it like this is your lips become so soft and kissable, if you like that sort of thing. :o
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    KSMussey wrote: »
    Coconut oil, butter, a few drops of stevia and some coffee in a cup and stir with a spoon or fork. The oil and butter will come to the top but you will only get a little of each per sip. The best reason for doing it like this is your lips become so soft and kissable, if you like that sort of thing. :o

Hey, maybe I can save some money on Chapstick, which is like an obsession for me! (So, yes, I do like soft, supple, kissable lips!) :tongue:
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the BPC suggestions/tips! I struggle sometimes with even adding heavy cream to my coffee--it makes me nauseous at times--so I'm hoping the BPC doesn't do the same. I'm worried about the separation, thinking that might increase the ick factor, but I'm willing to try. Heck, I already bought the dang stuff, so I might as well use it!
    nikoba wrote: »
    I do prefer it blended, but I just keep a jar of coconut oil at work and stir it into my coffee...the taste is the same, the consistency is not. As others have said, I also use coconut oil in cooking & as a skin moisturizer. I did try the oil pulling thing...but I could not get used to the texture. I've used it as a base oil when making a natural flea/tick/bug repellent for camping and mixed essential oils into it...we used it on ourselves and the dog with success.

I'm not familiar with oil pulling, although I've heard the phrase many times. What is it?
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    As for the "any other good uses for the coconut oil"- I use it to cook/fry anything that needs oil. Besides that, its my go-to cleanser/makeup remover, and is great for healing callouses & cracks on feet. I used it every night for a month almost 15 years ago and they've never come back.
    Coconut oil in my homemade toothpaste!
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    As for other uses - it is great in cooking, as others mentioned, I use it to heal sunburn (or prevent it lightly), to soften skin, in homemade toothpaste, and of course, the obvious, in fat bombs!
    nikoba wrote: »
    As others have said, I also use coconut oil in cooking & as a skin moisturizer. I did try the oil pulling thing...but I could not get used to the texture. I've used it as a base oil when making a natural flea/tick/bug repellent for camping and mixed essential oils into it...we used it on ourselves and the dog with success.

Coffee, cooking, makeup remover, skin moisturizer/repairer, toothpaste, sunburn treatment, pest repellent... What can this stuff NOT do? (Oh, I know--babysit!)
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Contigo has bottles that will handle the heat and not leak. I got mine at Target for about $10. It has a smaller opening on the top to drink out of but it also unscrews at the wider part. I open it up and add my stuff to the wider part then screw it back together and shake!!! Then drink from the smaller opening.

• pkroyle
    pkroyle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I make BP pods.....1 cup cocnut oil & 1 stick (1/4 cup) of unsalted butter (grass fed does not exist where I live). I melt it all together in the microwave, then pour into a mini muffin tin, freeze for 30 min, then pop them out and keep them in a container in my fridge. It makes about 20 pods.

I use a single sized protein shake mixer. It's loud, but doesn't wake my family. I bought a milk frother, but it wasn't powerful enough to mix it together. A shaker would probably work ok?
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    To avoid you having to deal with my babble, this article goes into oil pulling much better than I could: http://jezebel.com/the-oil-pulling-health-craze-works-just-not-in-the-w-1538252677
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    followed by 4-5 tablespoons (start with 1 since you are new to coconut oil)
    I add 1-2 oz of HWC (heavy whipping cream)

Holy calories, Batman!

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hear more about a shaker cup that handles hot drinks! Anyone have a link? My friend at work gave me a shaker cup, but is obviously not intended for heated drinks and is sprayed everywhere in the first few shakes!!!

Oh dear, mea culpa -- I meant a thermos-type travel hot drink mug -- I did try using a plastic shaker cup one time and it sprayed all over the counter :blush: Now I just stir it up a lot in the mug.

Here is the BP man showing how to make BPC on the road... dunno if I would carry grounds, I'd rather just buy a cup of joe, but fwiw:
    https://www.bulletproofexec.com/video-how-to-make-bulletproof-coffee-on-the-go/
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Okay, for my first attempt, I separated 6c of my usual morning coffee into two travel mugs (the 8c pot I make myself every morning minus one mugful to chug while I get ready), added a teaspoon of coconut oil to each one (starting off slow so I don't end up spending my workday in the bathroom), sliced off a tablespoon of butter and put half in each cup, and added a teaspoon of heavy cream to each. I just stirred it with a spoon. Hope it doesn't separate too much before I get to it. I'll be drinking on my drive this morning. 45 minutes from home to grandpa's to drop off the kids, then another 45 minutes from grandpa's to the office....