Keto Struggle

Options
Critcrittle
Critcrittle Posts: 25 Member
Hello!
I just started the Ketogenic diet.
I think I am on the right track, but I would love input from those of you who have been doing this longer and know more baout it!!
If anyone feels up to it....check out my food diary from yesterday and let me know if you have any advice on what I should and shouldn't do!
Thanks (:
Can't wait to continue this with everyone (:

Replies

• kleighsamboer33
    kleighsamboer33 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I looked at just one day of your diary and I can tell you that you are eating way too many carbs, not enough calories and not enough fat. I recommend that you maybe check out a couple books on keto. I really liked The Bullet Proof Diet by Dave Asprey and Keto-Adapted by Maria Emmerich. They teach the science behind it and what keto actually is. I hope this helps. Good luck to you :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I just started the Ketogenic diet.
    I think I am on the right track, but I would love input from those of you who have been doing this longer and know more baout it!!
    If anyone feels up to it....check out my food diary from yesterday and let me know if you have any advice on what I should and shouldn't do!
    Thanks (:
    Can't wait to continue this with everyone (:

In general, Keto is considered to be 20 grams of carbs a day or less, but 50 grams of carbs can KEEP you in ketosis, though it is unlikely to GET you there any time quick. 50 grams of carbs daily is considered low carb, but not necessarily keto.

That being said, the related group we have here for low carbers of all sort has a great launchpad:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad

The main things I see mirror what was said above, but if you are serious about going keto, at least until you find your balance, things like the pecans, grapes, premade salad, and protein drink are going to have to go. Replace creamer in your coffee with heavy whipping cream and/or coconut oil and/or butter (you can make it a bulletproof coffee. Ditch the turkey bacon for real bacon, and find fattier cuts of meat...

We can give more direction once you check out all the info on the other group and decide which direction you want to take.
  • richieladlad
    richieladlad Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bone broth is essential for me as its a good way to get all ur minerals you dont generally get with keto. If you need some advice or ideas follow my instagram @ketolifter I post meals and training on there. ;)
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Agree with educating yourself first, before deciding exactly what it is you want to do. Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore is a good anecdotal read. He is not a doctor or scientist by any stretch. He is a guy that lost weight and did some self-experimentation. Another excellent book is "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Phinney and Volek. They are scientists that will explain to you what ketosis actually means, what it doesn't mean, and what it can/cannot do for you.

MFP is a great face-bookie kind of place to read and learn, and there are tons of smart people here, but its not a substitute for real self-education. Good luck to you!
  • Critcrittle
    Critcrittle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. The ketogenic diet was actually reccommended to me by a dietician. It's someone I work with at the clinic where I am employed. She has given me adequate information, I am just trying to adjust to the new diet and learn different ways of making it work well for me without over struggling (like I am today -__-) .

@richieladlad - I will look you up on instagram! Thank you :D !
  • Mynx73
    Mynx73 Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    another good source of info is Stephen Phinney. He's a physician and scientist and has been doing for around 30 years or so (from memory) - he's written some good books and can also be found on youtube. World renowned and has some really good, informative talks. Here's his presentation for Low Carb Down Under 2014 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYYnEAYCGk
  • luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that video. A wealth of information!
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Anyone interested in some fast education can search YouTube for the LCDown Under Oct 2014 seminars, and see dozens of speakers, all the experts, Prof. Noakes, and a couple Dietitians who were THREATEED with being tossed out of their RD society by their PEERS who are totally against LC..we think WE have it bad explaining to family and friends…these ladies got so much grief by very close minded professionals..

whose CODE OF ETHICS actually says to Keep an open mind, research NEW info…which they obviously are not doing. One of the RD's read the NZ RD code to the audience, and it was clear she was the only one actually allowing science and new info to help her clients!!!

I know from experience my VA dietitian is only allowed to promote the USDA healthy plate of 45%-65% CARBs… which was ineffective for me, and only LCHF has allowed weight loss. ( she brings in a blender and makes a veggie shake and teaches to buy whole foods, and less processed, but those carbs are still front and center!)
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    another good source of info is Stephen Phinney. He's a physician and scientist and has been doing for around 30 years or so (from memory) - he's written some good books and can also be found on youtube. World renowned and has some really good, informative talks. Here's his presentation for Low Carb Down Under 2014 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYYnEAYCGk

yup...this video got me started!