Hypoglycemia....so CONFUSED

Options
2»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure is usually 90/60 but has definitely been lower than that, too.

Ah, so perhaps hypotension then rather than hypoglycaemia ?

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/blood-pressure-(low)/pages/introduction.aspx
  • TribalmamaEmily
    TribalmamaEmily Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I noticed you felt better after eating the banana. Bananas are fairly high in magnesium and potassium. Like wambester tossed out there, micronutrients are important too... Especially while bfing. I'm thinking you are eating a lot because you are not only giving yourself nutrients but another too! And if you are not getting what your body requires you are going to keep eating until your body gets what it needs. I have also experienced (in the past) exactly what you are describing. You may want to try supplementing colloidal minerals, or cal/mag. & see if that helps. However the breakfast and lunch you ate could have triggered the lb symptoms, it is hard to say without testing.
    For me it was the sugar. Although i do feel even better when supplementing minerals. And this woe completely conquers any of those symptoms.
  • postpartumprogress
    postpartumprogress Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'm in the right discussion group, buddy. I know the difference between high carb and low carb, lol.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I have a meter, but I think it needs new batteries, so I haven't checked my level during an episode yet. The most information I have is that after a 1-hour glucose tolerance test my levels were only 80 (and I was pregnant at the time). The nurses were surprised how low it was considering the amount of sugar I drank an hour before. But they said overall it was good.

I don't fast. I physically can't right now due to nursing my son, and I haven't done strenuous exercises recently either. It really seems to be at random. It can be an hour after I eat, or two. I usually don't go much longer than that because I feel miserable. I'm not sure what I'm doing to have these episodes come on. But I get jittery, anxious, sometimes I sweat, other times I get the chills and if it gets really bad I can't even function to get myself something. I don't know what the hell is going on, but it sounds like hypoglycemia to me.

Its still inconclusive that you are hypoglycemic until you check your blood sugars during an attack. I suggest you get some batteries for the meter. If you test below 60, then you are having a low blood sugar moment. In that case, you'll need to eat some carbs. I don't know what the treatment is for hypoglycemia, but if you want your sugars to smooth out, as other said, you shouldn't be eating hi carb, starchy, high glycemic foods. Bagels are a higher glycemic food than pure sugar. Bagels have no place in a low carb diet. If your PB is the sugary kind, that too ~ is forbidden. Only no-sugar PB in small amount can be eaten. "Black bean burger on wheat" has no place on a low carb diet.

Are you sure you're in the right discussion group?

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet

Dan,

She was giving a list of her previous (and FORMER) eating habits and how it affected her blood sugar reactions. She is moving toward a lower carb way of eating NOW. Every asked her that specifically - for historical data. She has been having tremendous response in all of her symptoms from switching to a high fat lower carb way of eating. And I've know several doctors who diagnosed hypoglycemia prior to any blood testing. If you have all the symptoms of hypoglycemia minus a blood test, then yes, it is fairly likely you have it, regardless of not having some number off a meter. Particularly in pregnancy is this fairly easy to determine.

My understanding was that she was looking for help in determining whether shifting to lower carb would help the rampant blood sugar out of control episodes. Younger folks in particular are raised on the idea that carbs are ambrosia and such, so she is having to break out of everything she thought she learned. If you have suggestions that she can implement, that's great.

And if you'd read carefully, you would have noted that all of the food items you listed above were from a FORMER TYPICAL DAY. I would hope that might have tempered your response. Forgive me for being a bit frustrated, but when someone asks for advice and answers questions wholeheartedly only to feel attacked in comments list this, that's now what I have always known this group to be about...

Carly

UGH - that was supposed to say "that's NOT what I have..."
  • mpantsari
    mpantsari Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It is interesting that on the day you felt poorly (more specificially, early that afternoon) you had just finished consuming foods that were rather high in carbohydrates and glycemic index. You may have experienced an insulin spike that precipitated symptoms as the blood sugar from that meal was dealt with and then dropped a little below baseline.

I think consuming less carbohydrates of all types, particularly avoiding bread, high carb fruits (banana, apples, grapes) you may find more steady sugars, and less of the hypoglycemic symptoms that you are clearly identifying. I think your diet the rest of the day (low carb) and your lack of symptoms is supportive of this idea.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
  • TribalmamaEmily
    TribalmamaEmily Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    @mpantsari, of course consuming less to no high gi carbs is ideal hence the fact she is in this group to begin with. postpartumprogress diet in the evening was absolutely better than during the day however note that she also consumed potatoes with the sausage, turkey bacon and eggs. This is why i would not rule out a potassium/magnesium deficiency.
    Magnesium plays an important role in carbohydrate metabolism and its deficiency may worsen insulin resistance, a condition that often precedes diabetes, or may be a consequence of insulin resistance.