Hypoglycemia....so CONFUSED

Options
Okay...I'm VERY new here. Just looking into some things because I have been having A LOT of hypoglycemic episodes. They seriously turn me into this anxious, jittery freak. I know that the extra energy I expend nursing doesn't help, but its actually something I've dealt with since I was a young teen...just never thought of actually trying to manage it before.

Basically, I'm looking to see if any of you have had the same issues and what you did specifically to not only help manage the episodes when they happened, but also help eradicate them altogether. I've heard about 5,000 different things while researching the subject myself...so I'm really confused. I've heard low carb is best. I've heard high carb, but low glycemic index foods only. I've heard to load up on the fats, but I've also heard that low fat is better. WHAT THE HECK, GUYS! I don't know what to do! Help! Lol!

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    *hugs*

I don't have much experience with hypoglycemia beyond my husband's brother whom is still on the hummingbird diet, where you ingest your weight in sugar every day, and anything I could say would be speculation, but kudos for taking care of yourself!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I was never diagnosed (except by a high school counselor, lol) as hypoglycemic, but I know exactly what you mean with the jittery anxiety. I haven't had that since I fully transitioned to low carb. My husband even commented on how much more even my 'keel' had become. Hope this helps!
  • lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I used to experience hypoglycemia for years before I was diagnosed with Type 2 DM. I I read that hypoglycemia is a precursor to type 2 DM) It really sucks. I think low carb definitely helps. You're not eating the foods that will spike your blood sugar so there's no rebound of it going really low. Another thing to consider is to have a small protein/fat snack every couple of hours, An ounce of cheese, a few nuts.

I can't imagine how a high carb diet would help hypoglycemia unless the plan is to just eat carbs constantly so the blood sugar is always high.
  • postpartumprogress
    postpartumprogress Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that it has worked out for you guys...makes me feel much more positive about transitioning to a low-carb lifestyle. Type 2 diabetes runs on both sides of my family...on my dad's side its obesity and alcoholism related, but on my mother's side it seems to be caused by hormonal changes-they all develop it post-menopausal. I'm only 23, so pretty far from menopause, but that's not to say that its in my future. Hopefully if I start making changes now, I won't develop diabetes...and if I do at least it will be managed.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Just to encourage you about the diabetes. At the end of January of this year I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I refused the med my doctor wanted to put me on and told her I wanted to see if I could get my blood sugar down via what I ate. I began eating LCHF, and in 1 1/2 months my A1c went from 6.1 to 5.6. You will definitely avoid diabetes if you follow this way of eating! My doctor is beyond happy with all my blood work. Everything went down to very normal levels.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I believe, as others do, that the way we have been told we should eat to be healthy has led to the obesity and diabetes epidemic we are faced with today! It's so frustrating, not knowing what to believe. All you can do is try it and see if it works for you. Give the LCHF woe a try for a month. I won't ever go back to my old woe!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Fisrt
    Okay...I'm VERY new here. Just looking into some things because I have been having A LOT of hypoglycemic episodes. They seriously turn me into this anxious, jittery freak. I know that the extra energy I expend nursing doesn't help, but its actually something I've dealt with since I was a young teen...just never thought of actually trying to manage it before.

Basically, I'm looking to see if any of you have had the same issues and what you did specifically to not only help manage the episodes when they happened, but also help eradicate them altogether. I've heard about 5,000 different things while researching the subject myself...so I'm really confused. I've heard low carb is best. I've heard high carb, but low glycemic index foods only. I've heard to load up on the fats, but I've also heard that low fat is better. WHAT THE HECK, GUYS! I don't know what to do! Help! Lol!

Everything that was said before this post is good. But, many people have different definitions of words and everyone assumes they all have the same definition of words. Which leads to bad advice.

I want to make sure you aren't mistaken. First, when you say you are hypoglycemic, what are your blood glucose numbers you get from your blood glucose meter? If you don't use a meter, you probably are not hypoglycemic.

Secondly, under what circumstances do you get these episodes? Are you fasting? Are you doing strenuous exercise?

I'll add more advice once you answer the above questions....

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    What If We're Wrong about Diabetes? Peter Attia
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto
  • postpartumprogress
    Options
    I have a meter, but I think it needs new batteries, so I haven't checked my level during an episode yet. The most information I have is that after a 1-hour glucose tolerance test my levels were only 80 (and I was pregnant at the time). The nurses were surprised how low it was considering the amount of sugar I drank an hour before. But they said overall it was good.

I don't fast. I physically can't right now due to nursing my son, and I haven't done strenuous exercises recently either. It really seems to be at random. It can be an hour after I eat, or two. I usually don't go much longer than that because I feel miserable. I'm not sure what I'm doing to have these episodes come on. But I get jittery, anxious, sometimes I sweat, other times I get the chills and if it gets really bad I can't even function to get myself something. I don't know what the hell is going on, but it sounds like hypoglycemia to me.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Can you give us a list of the food you ate on a day you had an episode? Be sure to list all of it, as there is a chance the trigger wasn't necessarily the last thing you ate, especially if you're eating every two hours.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    We thought I had hypoglycemia for years, turns out it was low blood pressure. And I was still within the normal range, just low normal. How much sodium are you getting?
  • batlott
    batlott Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    you probably need to see a physician. sounds like you had gestational diabetes with your son and now you are again having blood sugar problems. you probably need further testing. you could at least begin to do your own blood sugar in the fasting state and 1 hr after a meal and 2 hrs after a meal. keep track of the number of carbs in those meals and give that information to your physician.
  • heylexi1
    heylexi1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe read up on hypoglycemia as a result of insulin resistance? When your body overproduces insulin you can get hypoglycemia right after you eat. Some of the causes of insulin resistance relate to a diet high in refined carbohydrates or nutrient deficiencies. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance can be an underlying cause. The research I have done in regards to insulin resistance suggests clean eating, avoiding over-processed food, low carbohydrate intake, and a low glycemic index diet. Here is a link to get you started. http://www.ei-resource.org/illness-information/related-conditions/hypoglycemia-and-insulin-resistance/
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    What level of anxiety and jitters are you suffering? I'm going to come out of left field here and ask if what you're experiencing are actually anxiety/panic attacks. Do you go to sleep easily at night? Or do you get the shakes every time you start to relax?

I began having 'floating anxiety attacks' soon after my first child was born, and apparently this is a common time for them to begin.

• postpartumprogress
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Can you give us a list of the food you ate on a day you had an episode? Be sure to list all of it, as there is a chance the trigger wasn't necessarily the last thing you ate, especially if you're eating every two hours.

This was Wednesday...keep in mind I wasn't limiting any of my macros at the time.

6AM: Coffee with heavy cream and some berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries)
    8AM: Bagel with PB and Cinnamon
    10AM: Chobani Flip Yogurt
    Noon: Black bean burger on wheat with ketchup and a spinach salad with tomatoes, chili, turkey pepperoni, feta and fat free
    Italian dressing
    2PM: The jitters start. I'm out of the house at the mall. I go to GNC and grab a quest bar. Eat it by 2:30.
    4:30PM: Never started to feel better from the Quest bar. Start getting the chills and I get really emotional. I eat a banana. After that I start to feel better within the hour.
    5:30PM: Egg scramble, turkey bacon, sausage and potatoes. Still feel fine.
    7:30PM: More of what I had for dinner, with some cottage cheese...felt fine.

Yeah, I eat a lot. Lol.
  • postpartumprogress
    Options
    We thought I had hypoglycemia for years, turns out it was low blood pressure. And I was still within the normal range, just low normal. How much sodium are you getting?

Never thought of that!

My blood pressure is usually 90/60 but has definitely been lower than that, too. I don't track my sodium, but from when I was logging, I was getting too much.

• postpartumprogress
    Options
    What level of anxiety and jitters are you suffering? I'm going to come out of left field here and ask if what you're experiencing are actually anxiety/panic attacks. Do you go to sleep easily at night? Or do you get the shakes every time you start to relax?

I began having 'floating anxiety attacks' soon after my first child was born, and apparently this is a common time for them to begin.

Since having babies, I have definitely developed anxiety! I even had a psych evaluation and needed treatment because it got so bad after my first. Since my son has been born, though, I'm not having as hard of a time. Not usually anxious, I sleep well, feel fine unless I'm PMSing, no postpartum depression this time.

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    It was worth ruling out, and I'm glad to hear that you're moving through that. I hope that you get the cause sorted out soon and can be free of the anxious feelings and jitters - it's a terrible thing :(
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Haven't seen micronutrients mentioned in this thread, so I'll toss this out there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_deficiency_(medicine)

Symptoms of magnesium deficiency include hyperexcitability, muscular symptoms (cramps, tremor, fasciculations, spasms, tetany, weakness), fatigue, loss of appetite, apathy, confusion, insomnia, irritability, poor memory, and reduced ability to learn. Moderate to severe magnesium deficiency can cause tingling or numbness, heart changes, rapid heartbeat, continued muscle contractions, nausea, vomiting, personality changes, delirium, hallucinations, low calcium levels, low serum potassium levels, retention of sodium, low circulating levels of parathyroid hormone (PTH),[5] and potentially death from heart failure.[6] Magnesium plays an important role in carbohydrate metabolism and its deficiency may worsen insulin resistance, a condition that often precedes diabetes, or may be a consequence of insulin resistance.[7][8]
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have a meter, but I think it needs new batteries, so I haven't checked my level during an episode yet. The most information I have is that after a 1-hour glucose tolerance test my levels were only 80 (and I was pregnant at the time). The nurses were surprised how low it was considering the amount of sugar I drank an hour before. But they said overall it was good.

I don't fast. I physically can't right now due to nursing my son, and I haven't done strenuous exercises recently either. It really seems to be at random. It can be an hour after I eat, or two. I usually don't go much longer than that because I feel miserable. I'm not sure what I'm doing to have these episodes come on. But I get jittery, anxious, sometimes I sweat, other times I get the chills and if it gets really bad I can't even function to get myself something. I don't know what the hell is going on, but it sounds like hypoglycemia to me.

Its still inconclusive that you are hypoglycemic until you check your blood sugars during an attack. I suggest you get some batteries for the meter. If you test below 60, then you are having a low blood sugar moment. In that case, you'll need to eat some carbs. I don't know what the treatment is for hypoglycemia, but if you want your sugars to smooth out, as other said, you shouldn't be eating hi carb, starchy, high glycemic foods. Bagels are a higher glycemic food than pure sugar. Bagels have no place in a low carb diet. If your PB is the sugary kind, that too ~ is forbidden. Only no-sugar PB in small amount can be eaten. "Black bean burger on wheat" has no place on a low carb diet.

Are you sure you're in the right discussion group?

I hope this helps,

It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

Its still inconclusive that you are hypoglycemic until you check your blood sugars during an attack. I suggest you get some batteries for the meter. If you test below 60, then you are having a low blood sugar moment. In that case, you'll need to eat some carbs. I don't know what the treatment is for hypoglycemia, but if you want your sugars to smooth out, as other said, you shouldn't be eating hi carb, starchy, high glycemic foods. Bagels are a higher glycemic food than pure sugar. Bagels have no place in a low carb diet. If your PB is the sugary kind, that too ~ is forbidden. Only no-sugar PB in small amount can be eaten. "Black bean burger on wheat" has no place on a low carb diet.

Are you sure you're in the right discussion group?

I hope this helps,

It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet

Dan,

She was giving a list of her previous (and FORMER) eating habits and how it affected her blood sugar reactions. She is moving toward a lower carb way of eating NOW. Every asked her that specifically - for historical data. She has been having tremendous response in all of her symptoms from switching to a high fat lower carb way of eating. And I've know several doctors who diagnosed hypoglycemia prior to any blood testing. If you have all the symptoms of hypoglycemia minus a blood test, then yes, it is fairly likely you have it, regardless of not having some number off a meter. Particularly in pregnancy is this fairly easy to determine.

My understanding was that she was looking for help in determining whether shifting to lower carb would help the rampant blood sugar out of control episodes. Younger folks in particular are raised on the idea that carbs are ambrosia and such, so she is having to break out of everything she thought she learned. If you have suggestions that she can implement, that's great.

And if you'd read carefully, you would have noted that all of the food items you listed above were from a FORMER TYPICAL DAY. I would hope that might have tempered your response. Forgive me for being a bit frustrated, but when someone asks for advice and answers questions wholeheartedly only to feel attacked in comments list this, that's now what I have always known this group to be about...

Carly