Hunter-gatherers vs Westerners

Options

Replies

• VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options

Sure, right. And how many hours do I have to waste trying to prove a negative. Forget it. If you can't prove you know what you are talking about, I will simply form a logical opinion about what you believe.

You come on here, to a thread that had NOTHING to do with the paleo diet and start with your veggie propaganda, and your strawmen. I understand you veggies like to think you're superior to us meat eaters, but please keep it on your little veggie sites and leave the rest of us that live in the real world alone. I like to eat prey animals, I even like to go out and kill them myself. So while you're out there killing a poor defenseless cabbage, I'm killing a big fat juicy deer, big deal.

Wow! What a man! Do you also torture cats and dogs. I bet you even say you love animals. Creepy.

And you are the man for killing cabbage that has no chance of running away? Now that is creepy.

Yeah, I torture cabbages which don't even have a nervous system (which means they can't be tortured.) Tell me something, macho hunter man, do you get sexually stimulated when you kill something. I have heard that hunters actually get erections when they kill a deer. Is this true? Is that why you hunt?
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Sure, right. And how many hours do I have to waste trying to prove a negative. Forget it. If you can't prove you know what you are talking about, I will simply form a logical opinion about what you believe.

you are free to do that. Again I already posted them you said you would ignore them, so why would I go thru the trouble of posting them again. Your mind is already made up, and it's based on your bias toward the unhealthy lifestyle you are living.

Your posts were not by reputable scientists, in fact not even scientists. They were by people blogging and giving their own opinion. You said you had reputable scientists who had "debunked the China Study." Name one or simply admit that you don't know what you are talking about.

LOL and your link to an opinion piece in the NYtimes or whatever rag it was in, was? Reputable, how?

It was US News and World Report, and if actually read the article you would see it was THEM, not me who claimed that 25 diets were reviewed by "experts." But as I said many times the interesting thing about that study is that it gives you an opportunity to self report your own level of satisfaction with the diet if you followed it. Not only was Paleo ranked 25th out of 25, it had the lowest level of reported satisfaction of almost all the diets.

So my question again, why would any intelligent person follow such a diet?
  • Coco_UK
    Coco_UK Posts: 84 Member
    Options

This actually makes sense. That tribe probably only reproduce, so to speak, with their own tribe. That may not ALWAYS be the case, but I would bet they keep within their tribe.

Very, very unlikely that the group reproduces only within.

In fact, most hunter-gatherer or nomadic groups have fairly elaborate rituals around marriage and movement within and across groups; often mating outside the group is preferred.

Not if they live on an island in the middle of the Pacific, or on the frozen tundra of the Artic.

Sorry, but you're wrong still - having lived in the North of Canada I can confirm that there is still a lot of trading and intermingling of groups (and has been for a very long time). Same with pacific islanders - they've had boats for a very long time, you know. :)

(I majored in Anthropology with a focus on genetics - and I think you're just making guesses?)

That is so cool, I am a cultural anthropologist, graduated at University of London. :-)
    Great to see a fellow anthropologists around! :-)
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Wow! Knowing what you would and wouldn't do means you actually thought about it. Okay, so tell me how would you survive. No wait -don't tell me. We're back to eating worms and bugs aren't we?

Dang you ever get tired of being wrong, didn't your mommy ever tell you about making assumptions? I wouldn't take a rifle because I hunt with a bow, gee it's really just that simple, I don't live in the mountains with cantina wire surrounding my fort, and a stock pile of weapons and freeze dried food.

So you would bring a manufactured bow and industrial arrows. Wow! That is sure going native.

1st I never said I was going native, what was that term again, strawman?
    2nd you really should stop while you have some semblance of self respect left, I make my own equipment, thank you very much.

You really ought to learn what "straw man" means. The phrase you are looking for is "red herring."

And unless you are an expert on making Oldowan tools, my guess is you "made" your own bow using modern tools, So if civilization is so horrible, why would you do such a thing? You should first of all learn how to find hard minerals, then you should learn how to chip them so they get sharp edges, THEN you should make your bow. Remember, you are the one who says it is awful for me to "import" tofu because I am dependent upon civilization. But then you go out and do the same thing,
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

I don't eat meat for ethical reasons.

BINGO, and this is why anyone wanting a real opinion about a diet that has meat in it should take what this guy says with less than a grain of salt.

Ethical reasons? HA, so I assume (I know, but in this case it's a real educated guess) your ethical reasons involve not killing animals?

Exactly. I am proud to be ethical and try to avoid cruelty. I try to live as cruelty free as possible,
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

What is the "China Diet?" I have never heard of that.

The China Study, on the other had has yet to be seriously debunked. It has some problems, and Campbell the author of the study stated that given hindsight he might have done some things differently, but by no means did he ever state that his study had been "debunked." As far as I know, no one else with any scientific credentials has ever said that either.

Yes I meant China study, and really a person that did a study saying his study hasn't been debunked, now there's a shock.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/ (debunk)

http://www.foodrenegade.com/the-china-study-discredited/ (debunk)

http://freetheanimal.com/2010/07/t-colin-campbells-the-china-study-finally-exhaustively-discredited.html (debunk)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x5TKlTJLpE (and for those that can't read here is a you tube debunk)

Some of these overlap, please look at the links to actual studies, don't come back with these are just bloggers or whatever.

Right?! The China Study/ Campbell has been discredited for quite a while now.

Really? Here we go again. Kindly give me one source A CREDIBLE REPUTABLE SCIENTIFIC SOURCE where that study has been discredited. I am not talking about some gal's blog where she wants to show off her statistics 102.

Please stop asking for information you are only going to ignore. LOL

You have yet to give me the name of one reputable scientist who claims to have"DEBUNKED" the China Study. Talk is cheap. You could shut me up very easily by giving me the name of the study, by a reputable scientist, who claims to have debunked the China Study, Hey, I know why you don't. YOU CAN'T.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    http://jonnybowdenblog.com/why-i-am-not-a-vegetarian/
    “China Study” by Campbell represents, as mentioned, his conclusions about this data – conclusions which have been fiercely debated, by the way. He uses hand selected, cherry picked data from the study to support his rabid pro-vegan position and leaves out everything that contradicts it.
    (Campbell is associated with Physicians for Responsible Medicine, a vegan animal rights group masquerading as a responsible medical organization.)
    At one point, defending his “anti-animal protein” position, Campbell quoted a study done at Harvard University which, he said, had reached the exact same conclusion that he, Campbell, had reached. Even Harvard researchers agreed with him, was the implication.
    A man sitting at the other end of the dais got up and introduced himself. “Excuse me, Dr. Campbell”, said the man.”I happened to be the lead researcher on that study you mentioned. And we made no such conclusions” It was David Ludwig, MD, of Harvard University.
    What I find interesting about the “China Study” is that it also compltely contradicts everything that my Chinese friends tell me about what they eat “back home”. Fish, eggs, chickens, and pork, PORK! They love all of these things, they’d love more beef too when they can afford it. China is one of the least vegetarian countries on Earth.

Yippidippidoo. Nice stories, even if some of them are made up. Again, I ask you for a link to a REPUTABLE SCIENTIFIC SOURCE that "DEBUNKS" The China Study. I don't want somebody's opinion, I want a reasoned analysis.

Yes that's right Dr. Ludwig isn't a real Dr.,,,,,,,, because he eats meat? You really are making your self look bad.

There is a Dr Ludwig from Harvard who did a recent study involving analysis of three different types of diet. Is that the Dr Ludwig you are talking about. I read the abstract of his work and several articles about him. He NOWHERE mentions the China Study or "debunking" the China Study, His analysis, from what I read, is interesting, and seems to back up the China Study. But since he is not directly reviewing the China Study , that is just my conjecture. I haven't actually read the entire study, just the abstract,
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

This actually makes sense. That tribe probably only reproduce, so to speak, with their own tribe. That may not ALWAYS be the case, but I would bet they keep within their tribe.

In fact, most hunter-gatherer or nomadic groups have fairly elaborate rituals around marriage and movement within and across groups; often mating outside the group is preferred.

Not if they live on an island in the middle of the Pacific, or on the frozen tundra of the Artic.

Sorry, but you're wrong still - having lived in the North of Canada I can confirm that there is still a lot of trading and intermingling of groups (and has been for a very long time). Same with pacific islanders - they've had boats for a very long time, you know. :)

(I majored in Anthropology with a focus on genetics - and I think you're just making guesses?)

Really? Gee, you got what a BA in anthro? Sorry, but a BA is a waste of paper. You obviously do not know what an Isolated Community is, what a bottleneck is, or what genetic drift is. Here is an article to refresh your memory:

http://anthro.palomar.edu/synthetic/synth_5.htm

Even the Amish communities in populated states are considered isolated communities. The Inuit and Lapp populations are definitely isolated, as are the Trobriand Islanders. And yes, I did know that the Trobriand Islanders have boats, and I also know about their quaint little custom of throwing a child off the boat when the weather got rough to appease the sea gods. It was not without reason that Malinowski called them "savages." (Those were the good old days of anthro, before political correctness, and I recall a lecture by Carlton Coon when I was at Penn where he described some tribe or other, then finished the lecture by explaining, "but after all they were nothing but a bunch of savages.")
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Everything I have ever read about Paleo from a non-Paleo source, including US News, says the diet is awful.

As for what I said about the genome, that is standard genetics and epigenetics. It is in any textbook.

Please, of scientific one, please provide the exact quote of any "expert" saying the paleo diet is "awful"

I have already posted several articles. Read them,
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/01/dont-eat-like-a-caveman/

Also, I agree that the USNews is sort of a pop study, not rigorous, but it does involve expert opinion, and most interestingly from my point of view, it allows visitors to the site to self report their satisfaction level with the diet. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but something like 6 to 1 of vegetarians said the diet had helped them, while, if I recall about three to one of people who had tried Paleo said it had NOT helped them.

Just what qualifies in your mind as expert? Someone that agrees with your militant views, someone that has a PHD? Or just an editor of a newspaper?

An expert in an academic field like nutrition, diabetes, obesity, etc. is someone who very likely has a Ph.D., who has published in good journals such as Nature, Science Cell, PLOS One, FEBS L, PNAS, or an equivalent ranked journal in a specific field, who has probably been featured in a review, whose article has probably been reviewed by Faculty of 1000, whose work has been covered in popular journals such as Science Daily, NewsRX or some similar journal, whose work is probably on Pub Med, etc. Is this specific enough for you, or would you like me to continue?
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

And unless you are an expert on making Oldowan tools, my guess is you "made" your own bow using modern tools, So if civilization is so horrible, why would you do such a thing? You should first of all learn how to find hard minerals, then you should learn how to chip them so they get sharp edges, THEN you should make your bow. Remember, you are the one who says it is awful for me to "import" tofu because I am dependent upon civilization. But then you go out and do the same thing,

The term if flint knapping,,,,, what did you say your degree was in? LOL
  • freerange
    Options

Exactly. I am proud to be ethical and try to avoid cruelty. I try to live as cruelty free as possible,

As Possible? LOL so a little cruelty is ok? And you are the perfect one to tell everyone else where that line is. There is another word I'm looking for that applies here,,,, starts with a H
  • freerange
    Options

Really? Gee, you got what a BA in anthro? Sorry, but a BA is a waste of paper. You obviously do not know what an Isolated Community is, what a bottleneck is, or what genetic drift is. Here is an article to refresh your memory:

Even the Amish communities in populated states are considered isolated communities. The Inuit and Lapp populations are definitely isolated, as are the Trobriand Islanders. And yes, I did know that the Trobriand Islanders have boats, and I also know about their quaint little custom of throwing a child off the boat when the weather got rough to appease the sea gods. It was not without reason that Malinowski called them "savages." (Those were the good old days of anthro, before political correctness, and I recall a lecture by Carlton Coon when I was at Penn where he described some tribe or other, then finished the lecture by explaining, "but after all they were nothing but a bunch of savages.")

Here we go, I was wondering how long the intelitecural "my brain is bigger than yours" would come out. LOL Ever hear of Thomas Sowell?
  • freerange
    Options

Everything I have ever read about Paleo from a non-Paleo source, including US News, says the diet is awful.

As for what I said about the genome, that is standard genetics and epigenetics. It is in any textbook.

Please, of scientific one, please provide the exact quote of any "expert" saying the paleo diet is "awful"

Oh no, I want the exact quote, "paleo diet is awful" Yoiu are so good at demanding exact links, poney up.
  • freerange
    Options

Also, I agree that the USNews is sort of a pop study, not rigorous, but it does involve expert opinion, and most interestingly from my point of view, it allows visitors to the site to self report their satisfaction level with the diet. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but something like 6 to 1 of vegetarians said the diet had helped them, while, if I recall about three to one of people who had tried Paleo said it had NOT helped them.

Just what qualifies in your mind as expert? Someone that agrees with your militant views, someone that has a PHD? Or just an editor of a newspaper?

An expert in an academic field like nutrition, diabetes, obesity, etc. is someone who very likely has a Ph.D., who has published in good journals such as Nature, Science Cell, PLOS One, FEBS L, PNAS, or an equivalent ranked journal in a specific field, who has probably been featured in a review, whose article has probably been reviewed by Faculty of 1000, whose work has been covered in popular journals such as Science Daily, NewsRX or some similar journal, whose work is probably on Pub Med, etc. Is this specific enough for you, or would you like me to continue?

So in other words, peter pan
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

As Possible? LOL so a little cruelty is ok? And you are the perfect one to tell everyone else where that line is. There is another word I'm looking for that applies here,,,, starts with a H

Yes, a little cruelty is okay. Being cruel to a hunter or other savage who could reasonably be expected to have civilized values but doesn't and who enjoys killing and probably get stimulated by killing is perfectly acceptable,
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

The term if flint knapping,,,,, what did you say your degree was in? LOL

Which degree. I have three. But I don't intend to tell you what any of them were.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Here we go, I was wondering how long the intelitecural "my brain is bigger than yours" would come out. LOL Ever hear of Thomas Sowell?

It helps to have a brain to appreciate knowledge. Are you claiming that arguing from the most ignorant sources is the best?
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

So in other words, peter pan

So in your opinion, anyone who has actually seriously studied a subject, has done novel high impact work in the field, and who has established credentials is a "peter pan?" Is this part of another Paleo fairy tale?
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Oh no, I want the exact quote, "paleo diet is awful" Yoiu are so good at demanding exact links, poney up.

Okay, then try reading what I linked to. Oh, wait. Since asking you to do that might be challenging and difficult for you, I will reprint it for you:

"Experts took issue with the diet on every measure. Regardless of the goal—weight loss, heart health, or finding a diet that’s easy to follow—most experts concluded that it would be better for dieters to look elsewhere. “A true Paleo diet might be a great option: very lean, pure meats, lots of wild plants,” said one expert—quickly adding, however, that duplicating such a regimen in modern times would be difficult."