Weekend Discouragement

Options
2»

Replies

• FitnFierceJamie
    FitnFierceJamie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There are so many factors that play into weight loss...not only food and water intake, but sleep cycles, medications (if I take ibuprofen, I hold water for 3-5 days after), changes in activity levels, monthly cycles, etc. Stay the course...the whoosh fairy will visit you eventually.
  • PasPlus
    PasPlus Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    SazzySuze - just had a peek at your diary and noticed a pattern. You tend to frequently go high on protein and low on fat. For some this is a problem. Could you maybe try to reset the balance there - maybe add some meat with a little more fat on or just reduce the protein somehow and maintain fat.

Just an idea - good luck.
  • SazzySuze
    SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    PasPlus wrote: »
    SazzySuze - just had a peek at your diary and noticed a pattern. You tend to frequently go high on protein and low on fat. For some this is a problem. Could you maybe try to reset the balance there - maybe add some meat with a little more fat on or just reduce the protein somehow and maintain fat.

Just an idea - good luck.
    Yes, weekends are a lot more protein and a lot less fat because my foods have been primarily based on whatever was cooked on the grill (meat and veggies). I'm not really sure how I can increase fat intake eating grilled foods. We buy ground turkey from Costco because it's actually a lot cheaper than the ground beef. But I can see if he's willing to pay the higher price for ground beef. Any other suggestions on how to do that?
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Budget is a huge concern here as well. Don't worry about specifically getting fatty meats, just add more straight fat. As I said elsewhere, I struggle with getting enough fat, and I finally just started drinking a cup of broth with a huge knob of butter in it whenever I knew I was going to be too light on fat for the day. Sodium and fat and yum. I've also started buying very inexpensive blocks of cheese and cutting them into string-cheese sized snacks and just eating them. String cheese is just too expensive here even though I adore it. I don't really have any dairy sensitivities, so this is working for me. I also dip cold roast chicken into mayo, which is a treat I've enjoyed since I was a kid and packs a good dose of fat onto an otherwise leanish meat. There are a lot of other things out there, but these are the most inexpensive ones for me.

And for the grill, make yourself up some tasty dipping sauce for your grilled veggies. Melted garlic butter, some sort of creamy mayo soy sauce concoction, whatever sounds good to you!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Budget is a huge concern here as well. Don't worry about specifically getting fatty meats, just add more straight fat. As I said elsewhere, I struggle with getting enough fat, and I finally just started drinking a cup of broth with a huge knob of butter in it whenever I knew I was going to be too light on fat for the day. Sodium and fat and yum. I've also started buying very inexpensive blocks of cheese and cutting them in to string-cheese sized snacks and just eating them. String cheese is just too expensive here even though I adore it. I don't really have any dairy sensitivities, so this is working for me. I also dip cold roast chicken into mayo, which is a treat I've enjoyed since I was a kid and packs a good dose of fat onto an otherwise leanish meat. There are a lot of other things out there, but these are the most inexpensive ones for me.

I was going to suggest adding butter to things. I also add sour cream, cheese, mayo, Ranch dressing, guacamole, and other fatty condiments to my meats. Because, frankly, I just don't like fatty cuts of meat.
  • SazzySuze
    SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Budget is a huge concern here as well. Don't worry about specifically getting fatty meats, just add more straight fat. As I said elsewhere, I struggle with getting enough fat, and I finally just started drinking a cup of broth with a huge knob of butter in it whenever I knew I was going to be too light on fat for the day. Sodium and fat and yum. I've also started buying very inexpensive blocks of cheese and cutting them in to string-cheese sized snacks and just eating them. String cheese is just too expensive here even though I adore it. I don't really have any dairy sensitivities, so this is working for me. I also dip cold roast chicken into mayo, which is a treat I've enjoyed since I was a kid and packs a good dose of fat onto an otherwise leanish meat. There are a lot of other things out there, but these are the most inexpensive ones for me.

And for the grill, make yourself up some tasty dipping sauce for your grilled veggies. Melted garlic butter, some sort of creamy mayo soy sauce concoction, whatever sounds good to you!
    Thanks. That's a big help. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    SazzySuze wrote: »
    Every week I lose 1-2 pounds and every weekend I gain it all back. I'm beginning to really hate weekends. I thought it was the restaurants we were going to so we stopped going out and started grilling on the weekends so I know for a fact what I'm eating and nothing is hiding in the sauce, so to speak. Still gained my weight back. So then I thought well maybe it's the alcohol that is ruining me. So yesterday not a drop of that lusciousness, either. And I still gained my weight back. Those were the two things I looked forward to on the weekends, eating out and alcohol. Now they are both gone and it's not helping. Wtf am I doing wrong? Yesterday I weighed all my food, logged it, etc. Was under my calories, under my carbs...all good things. And I still wake up to a pound gain which is what I averaged losing last week. I have been doing low carb for about a month but didn't start logging til a few weeks ago. I have no problem losing through the week but weekends somehow screw me over every time. I hate weekends now. I'm not even kidding. Feeling like I don't have much to look forward to, not even a permanent loss. Can anyone help me?

The other major thing I always ask is whether you're getting enough water. Most low carb "rules" suggest having 100 oz of water a day, but I prefer going by the weight rule. I think I read above that you weigh 165, so to calculate your water is 165 /2 = 82.5 ounces of water minimum daily. That is just under 10.5 glasses of water a day or if you drink "standard 16.9 oz water bottles," it is about 5 water bottles a day. Whether or not you drink the wine or anything else, your body needs this water to flush the toxins, burned fat, and such from your system. If you are consuming wine on the weekend, you should be drinking one additional ounce of water for each ounce of wine, so it would be your 82.5 ounces of water, plus for this example 12 oz of wine (a glass is 6 oz, right, so 2 glasses?), so 12 additional ounces of water, making that 94.5 ounces of water, about 12 glasses of water, or at little over 5.5 water bottles...

I know that aside from my problem with eating more dessert-y options than fat bombs on weekends later is killing my progress, that water gives me far more problems on weekends than the food. On a day I drink 40 oz. or more less than my goal, I can gain over a pound of water retention the next day. I work short days on Fridays, so if I do this 3 days in a row, I can retain 3-5 pounds just from not getting enough water!!! So please check into your water and see if that might help - because your wine may or may not be the problem - and when we are forced to give up the things we look forward to doing - it is harder to stay on our health plan. Another option might be to switch to spirits with unsweetened juice if your preferred wine is carby. Something like vodka with unsweetened cranberry juice or crystal light might be an option.

And if you are eating out and choosing your food options well, that should not be the problem, unless there are a lot of hidden carbs in preparations and sauces and such. Try to check out any restaurant's nutrition information online...
  • aholt7286
    aholt7286 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Captain Morgan and Diet Root Beer........Mmmmmmmm......