Thinking about getting a Fitbit, is it worth it?

Options
morf13
morf13 Posts: 151 Member
Thinking about getting a fitbit. Is it worth it? I don't care about heart rate. Only calories eaten, calories exercised off, weight, etc, and most of that I do right on my MFP app. What would be the benefit of getting one for myself? Thanks

Replies

• FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Fitbit motivates me to move more. Inspired by my friends' numbers or my own daily goal, I simply take more steps with a Fitbit than without. I pace train platforms, park far away from my destination, walk around the office, etc.

If you don't care about HR monitoring you would enter your dedicated exercise in Fitbit, not MFP, via the phone or online. I hear that MFP consistently overvalues exercise and Fitbit's database is more accurate.

The HR models can save you that step if you want to take the easy route. Mine knows the difference between casual steps and exercise steps by my heart rate.
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hmm good info thanks. I will read some more
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    It is worth it for me. MFP is great at enabling me to track my "calories in". But, if I'm doing a poor job of manually estimating "calories out" - by under or over estimating my daily activity level and/or the same with exercise - then an accurate estimate of calories in is meaningless.

Also, I never realized how much more I can eat if I get moving. That makes all the difference in being able to stick to a calorie deficit for me.

It motivates me to move, because I can see when I've been inactive. It's harder to conveniently forget all that time I spend sitting - so I spend a lot less time sitting.

• julielh72
    julielh72 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Fitbit Flex and upgraded to the Charge HR a few months ago. I love mine and would recommend them to anyone.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My Flex got me moving so much more. I would be very unhappy to go through a day without it!
  • it8txs
    it8txs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love that I can set personal goals - for me its the steps. You really don't realize how little or much you move without some type of tracker. After I met my goals for a week, I increased my steps to push myself.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Since getting my fitbit I've gone from 2000ish steps a day to around 20,000. It has definitely motivated me to move more!
    I've got the basic zip, which counts steps, mileage and calories burned.
    I don't need any of the heart monitor devices as the only exercise I do is walking.
    I might one day upgrade to a fitbit ONE only so I can track my sleep to see how truly horrendous it really is :open_mouth:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    morf13 wrote: »
    Thinking about getting a fitbit. Is it worth it? I don't care about heart rate. Only calories eaten, calories exercised off, weight, etc, and most of that I do right on my MFP app. What would be the benefit of getting one for myself? Thanks

Best estimate of calories burned, instead of hoping you guessed the right non-exercise level on MFP, and then added exercise correctly.

But just like MFP without Fitbit had caveats to usage, so also does Fitbit integrated in.

Ditto to above, I have HRM I use on more serious workouts none of the Fitbit's are going to get right, so manually logging anyway.
    But I needed better estimate of the other 22-23 hrs of the day for calorie burn.