Late 40s trying to lose weight while perimenopausal

Options
SkinnyCJK
SkinnyCJK Posts: 7 Member
I am 48 & now 3 weeks late on TOM. All the symptoms of PMS, but no period. Also, bigger appetite!

Anyway facing this challenging & have advice?

Replies

• Dawnrunner
    Dawnrunner Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and had a hysterctomy a couple of years ago. Just keep exercising as much as possible. I think menopause is one of those times when its easier to give up and blame it on the change. My weight is still around the range that I've always been in, but I feel like maybe ive lost some muscle tone and replaced it withsome fat. I'm working hard to stay active
  • Rhinoceruslegs
    Rhinoceruslegs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    SkinnyCJK wrote: »
    I am 48 & now 3 weeks late on TOM. All the symptoms of PMS, but no period. Also, bigger appetite!

Anyway facing this challenging & have advice?

facing the same!!! no advice on period but taking Concerta is helping keep appetite stableized...not gone but reasonable. im taking it for recrntly diagnosed a.d.d. symptoms. also drinking Omnitrition Drink Mix for energy :mixed in a protein and fruit shake.
  • ForeverChasingTheSunsets
    Options
    Mine are getting wonky... I have them earlier and longer. I'll be 47 in July. I started bloating, mood swings at anytime of the month and energy drops. I'm also low thyroid and every pound is sticking! So frustrating!
  • Christine7656
    Christine7656 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Get a check up from your doctor just to be sure everything is good also request a blood panel done. Check thyroid levels mineral levels iron levels... I too have PMS which I never had in my 30s found out a couple years ago I was anemic which helped with PMS symptoms a lot. That said, DON'T take iron unless you actually need it otherwise it could be dangerous.
    Make sure you're doing strength training to build muscle and watch those calories
  • Christine7656
    Options
    <3
  • barbarae130
    barbarae130 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Mine are getting wonky... I have them earlier and longer. I'll be 47 in July. I started bloating, mood swings at anytime of the month and energy drops. I'm also low thyroid and every pound is sticking! So frustrating!

Yep, here's your sister. Started last summer with me. I get them now every 3 months. I've developed a phenomenal sweet tooth that I seem to be constantly fighting and I've noticed I can no longer tolerate wheat (probably not a bad thing though). B)

• sky1967
    sky1967 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    [ I've developed a phenomenal sweet tooth that I seem to be constantly fighting and I've noticed I can no longer tolerate wheat (probably not a bad thing though). B) ]

I am glad you mentioned "sweet tooth. " I always liked sweets, but, it was a casual relationship. Now, it's down right stocker. I have ate more chocolate in my 40's then in my whole life. Craziness! Like an earlier post said, easy to place blame on the change, but bottom line, I just need to regain control.

• ThickTamToThinTam
    ThickTamToThinTam Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    47 and had to have both of my ovaries removed - talk about getting thrown full blown in to menopause. I used to be able to drop 5 - 10 pounds easy, now I am working very hard to get there. I need to loose 30. I am walking and just found this site, so I am hoping for success.
  • barbarae130
    barbarae130 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the 'SWORKIT' App (on android), which you can link to the MFP app. It's not bad. I opted for the Pro version (only a few euro) and you have the option of strength training; Cardio; Yoga and Stretching. I figured along with the walking app that it would be easier to keep track of what I'm doing - particularly as the brain is having a problem remembering stuff atm lol which I believe is another side effect of 'this time in our lives'.
  • weightin953
    weightin953 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 45yrs old I had a hysterectomy 12yrs ago, I've had menopause for the last 5 yrs. I was wearing a weekly patch but the last 3 weeks I haven't had to use one. I put on most of my weight in the last 3yrs. I need to lose 27kgs. I wish you all the best in your journey.
  • Feistychick68
    Feistychick68 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I went 7 months no period got tested my Dr. Said I was in menopause. Then incredibly I went 7 months with. Now I've missed again so I'm on the 7/7 cycle I guess. It is a weird time for sure. I personally dunno wth is going on but I try to stay positive and focus on the fact I can't control "the change" but I can focus on trying to eat healthier and exercise more. Losing weight is very difficult and slow. I'm 215 now and eat only around 1200 calories. My metabolism is Mia...
  • KFraz02
    KFraz02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and have noticed it is very difficult to lose weight. You have to crank up the workouts a notch, get out of your comfort zone. I started a high intensity class, called body shock. It is similar to cross fit that's offered at my gym but it doesn't have the high weights. It has helped a bunch with weight loss. Although I have been stuck in a plateau for awhile lately & have those last 10 lbs. To lose.
  • Christine7656
    Options
    I wish I knew what peri menopause is supposed to feel like. My period is always right on time, every 28 days. This month I'm a week late, have had very mild on gong cramping. I've had pms symptoms ( irritability mostly) the last few years. Anyway, I don't know what to think! I will be 46 in a couple months
  • sukti
    sukti Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi I turned 47 in March. All I have to do to put on weight is just smell some bread! And also I think I may need reading glasses! I need motivation. I think i need to start running/walking in the mornings. The afternoon lunch time walk is just not doing it!
  • Christine7656
    Options
    sukti wrote: »
    Hi I turned 47 in March. All I have to do to put on weight is just smell some bread! And also I think I may need reading glasses! I need motivation. I think i need to start running/walking in the mornings. The afternoon lunch time walk is just not doing it!
    Are you counting your calories too? That's what works for me to lose.
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew what peri menopause is supposed to feel like. My period is always right on time, every 28 days. This month I'm a week late, have had very mild on gong cramping. I've had pms symptoms ( irritability mostly) the last few years. Anyway, I don't know what to think! I will be 46 in a couple months

Are you sure you're not pregnant? I had a baby at 46 and it really wasn't difficult conceiving!
  • Christine7656
    Options
    rps67 wrote: »

Are you sure you're not pregnant? I had a baby at 46 and it really wasn't difficult conceiving!
    Oh my goodness I hope not! I don't 'feel' pregnant. That may sound silly but I remember feeling differently when I was.
    Were you using any birth control?
    My tubes are tied... Hubby's not fixed
  • SoUl_ReBeL2021
    SoUl_ReBeL2021 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    42 years old and I was having a very hard time losing weight went to the doctors they checked my vitamin D level come to find out I was deficient! Now that I take vitamin D supplement to bring up my D level I've been losing weight you should all have your vitamin D level checked.