New to the group

Options
Hello, My name is Corliss. I am a 46 year old woman I have hypothyroidism and possibly Hashimoto's. I also tend to have times when I swing both ways hyper and hypo. I was diagnosed in 2011 but after reading other peoples stories and reading about their symptoms I have probably had this my entire adult life.

Replies

• grammyhoyt
    grammyhoyt Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Good to meet you Corliss, I'm Betty, I have Hashimoto's as well, finding it very difficult to lose the weight gained prior to diagnosis last year, how a out you?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm 46 with Hashi's that went undiagnosed for years.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Hi Corliss! I'm 45 hypo and maybe Hashi. Who knows...
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Your doctor should be able to tell you if they tested for thyroid antibodies particularly at outset. (hashi creates antibodies. its an Autoimmune problem, which means the body does not recognise the thyroid as part of itself so sets out to destroy it). Or at least having discovered you are hypo the next step should be to discover if you have antibodies. Some Doctors are of the opinion that this is of no interest to the patient. Treatment is standard levo t4 in any hypo situation especially in the UK. The presence of antibodies could indicate the patient will be subject to fluctuations in symptoms related to the increase or decrease in their production.

A patient could choose to take selenium which (possibly with other minerals if the patient is deficient in these) aids t4 to t3 conversion. On its own it has in some research been shown to reduce these antibodies. It is highly unlikely a Hashi patient will ever be without antibodies.

Recently I have seen references to euthyroid, when the thyroid is in perfect balance this is a somewhat controversial proposition which has the effect of eliminating antibodies.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Sarah. 30 years old and recently re-diagnosed with Hypo. Was diagnosed when I was 14 and got off medications when I was 17 due to life issues. Started gaining weight fast and over the course of 5 years put on roughly 130 lbs. just recently started seeing a new NP, who sat me down and discussed EVERYTHING that has been going on. She questioned why doctors hadn't put me back on meds. I had my levels tested three times in 10 years, twice by the same doc (an older endo...) I was told they were "high" but within range (BS) or that they didn't want to put me back on medications "at this time". I broke down in her office when she came back with the results to find that my levels were very high and she was immediately putting me on generic Synthroid. It was so nice to finally have someone listen to me and hear what I was saying. I have been struggling with the same 10 lbs for 5 months, eating a healthy diet and getting plenty of fitness in. Someone suggested this group for advice and encouragement. She is also placing me on a restricted calorie diet (12-1500 cals) low carb/no sugar. feel free to add me. Thanks!
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Oh and she has me taking a B-Complex and Vit D supplement now as well.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Sarahndipity, so Pleased you may have the help you need to turn this corner. Please make the most of living in the US.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    So happy Sarahndipity30 that you found someone with good sense! Best to you on your recovery!!
  • TylaGagnon
    TylaGagnon Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm Tyla, I have Hyperthyroidism from Graves' disease, gained some weight from my meds, so I'm now working my butt off (literally ☺️) to get it down, I do my RAI mid June, and looking forward to getting off this medication ☺️
  • Katsville
    Katsville Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey Tyla, I've got Graves as well - it's not very common on here? I'm also on meds and trying to work against them. My next assessment is in July and over here they will probably keep me on for maybe 6 more months!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Hello all, former corpsman and current microbiologist working in pharma and used to manufacture Synthroid. My wife is a molecular biologist in pharma R&D and we juggle three kids (7, 5, & 1), two jobs, and a host of volunteer activities.

In 2000 a field doc discovered a 2mm focus on my thyroid gland, it was cancerous which resulted in a total thyroidectomy. Since then I managed to put on ~75lbs until last summer became sick of being overweight and decided to do something about it. My wife had used MFP to track CICO and I did the same, making small changes in diet, but mostly through exercise. TSH levels are now in the 2.2 range and have lost ~50lbs. Not only am I enjoying the weight loss and increased energy, but blood chemistry, HR, BP, etc. are optimal as well.

Two factors initiated my change last year: 1) I accepted a den leader role for my son's Tiger Scout den and wanted to be more active and participate 2) I read a story of a triathlete who was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and came back stronger than before. I realized that I had allowed it to become an excuse and simply stopped making excuses.

Best regards to all!
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Welcome!! Love your story! Amazing how in helping others we overcome ourselves! Your pharm expertise/experience will add lots of interest here I'm sure!