The "What are you doing to lose weight?" question

Options
bookerlr
bookerlr Posts: 51 Member
So my weight loss is noticable now and people are asking me what I am doing. I tell them that I had weight loss surgery. I don't tell them that I am working hard as hell to get the weight off. I am watching what I eat, exercising and have made a lifestyle change. If I say that I changed my diet and am working out, it seems like I'm lying but it is true!! What do you all tell people when they ask?

Replies

• Merylk34
    Merylk34 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Great question I wonder the same thing. I honestly don't think I'll tell people who I'm not super close with that I had surgery. My plan it to be honest in the sense of watching what I eat and exercising. Because that's really true.
  • dzoerner
    dzoerner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am informing and teaching others about what weight loss surgery is and what it isn't. Many still think it is the "easy" way out and it is anything but that. I explain that it is a totally new way to live and consider food. I had RNY on April 1st and have lost 34 lbs from my heaviest weight, so my loss is just starting to show.
  • angel073079
    angel073079 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I plan on telling people that I've made major lifestyle changes. Not a lie. It is the truth.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I tell people that I am working on making life changes --- which is true! :smile:
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I always lead with the lifestyle changes, "I go to the gym 5 days a week and I am really watching what I eat" and then add "and I had surgery." I find that If I lead with the work I am doing, people don't have a chance to say anything about the easy way out. I like to be honest because I could not have been this successful without my sleeve and I don't want to give people a wrong impression.
  • tlogesi
    tlogesi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Like jm1, I also lead with the life style changes, I go to the gym, I eat my vegetables and I don't drink any calories. I also had a RNY to help limit my calorie intake, I have a gym partner to help keep me motivated to exercise and I take time every morning to reflect on the most important things in my life (my son, my wife, my health, my peace of mind) and keep me focused on my goals.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    My response really depends on the person who's asking. My typical response is that I'm not eating enough for three people anymore. If I feel like sharing I'll say I had RNY so I'm not eating enough for three people anymore.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    These are all great responses, I find myself defending my choice with some of those closest to me. My BFF said to me the other day that she "has to sweat her *kitten* off to lose any weight" I got really offended and told her as much...we have to sweat ours off too, it doesn't just magically happen! I really don't like to be deceitful but people really have no clue I am still trying to find the best way to educate people about how wls is just part of the equation the rest is all us!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    bookerlr wrote: »
    So my weight loss is noticable now and people are asking me what I am doing. I tell them that I had weight loss surgery. I don't tell them that I am working hard as hell to get the weight off. I am watching what I eat, exercising and have made a lifestyle change. If I say that I changed my diet and am working out, it seems like I'm lying but it is true!! What do you all tell people when they ask?

I say that I had weight loss surgery and now am also eating healthy and exercising.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    bookerlr wrote: »

I say that I had weight loss surgery and now am also eating healthy and exercising.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I tell people that surgery is helping me keep my calories very low without feeling like I'm starving, and that I'm doing weights and training for a 5K. I started out not wanting to share about the surgery, but decided that it was more important to be honest and encouraging to those who are wanting to lose weight themselves than to avoid any McJudgyPants people.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I always was very upfront about the surgery but ALWAYS made sure to talk about following the food plan and exercising regularly. Just mentioning surgery is why some folks think this is the "easy way". It's a lot more than the surgery and we all know it.
  • bookerlr
    bookerlr Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    I always was very upfront about the surgery but ALWAYS made sure to talk about following the food plan and exercising regularly. Just mentioning surgery is why some folks think this is the "easy way". It's a lot more than the surgery and we all know it.

That's exactly it!! Just saying that I had wls minimizes all of the hard work I am doing! I will lead with my healthy lifestyle and then say I had surgery. To leave something out really does not give the full picture. I am actually uncomfortable with people complimenting me on my weight loss. I really wasn't expecting that.
  • Warhawk79
    Warhawk79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I usually just say I am eating less and moving more. Occasionally I will tell the whole story...depending on who is asking.
  • brookelayne
    brookelayne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I always lead with the lifestyle changes, "I go to the gym 5 days a week and I am really watching what I eat" and then add "and I had surgery." I find that If I lead with the work I am doing, people don't have a chance to say anything about the easy way out. I like to be honest because I could not have been this successful without my sleeve and I don't want to give people a wrong impression.
    I tell people that surgery is helping me keep my calories very low without feeling like I'm starving, and that I'm doing weights and training for a 5K. I started out not wanting to share about the surgery, but decided that it was more important to be honest and encouraging to those who are wanting to lose weight themselves than to avoid any McJudgyPants people.

I like these approaches a lot. I think a combination of both would be ideal.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Warhawk79 wrote: »
    I usually just say I am eating less and moving more. Occasionally I will tell the whole story...depending on who is asking.
    I agree, not everyone needs to know my business. Some people that do know minimize the eating healthy and the exercise I am doing. Without that I would not have lost as much as I have!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »

This!