Celebrate small victories with me!

Options
brendamkay
brendamkay Posts: 28 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
It is so easy to get down on ourselves. Let's pick out some bright spots and celebrate them!

Yesterday I said "no" to dessert! *Yay me!*

I logged on to MFP today! *Yay me!*

I LOST weight for the first time in months! *Yay me!*

What are your small victories (or big victories)?

Replies

• pdenoyes
    pdenoyes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like that! !! That's encouraging.
  • pdenoyes
    pdenoyes Posts: 9 Member
    Options

My small victory is logging on to MFP and walking 5 consecutive days.
  • brendamkay
    Options
    pdenoyes wrote: »
    My small victory is logging on to MFP and walking 5 consecutive days.
    Yay! Excellent habit forming behavior!
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My small victory was walking a kilometer, even though my knee is sore.
  • kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I resisted an urge to emotionally eat after a stressful day at work. I relaxed instead and feel soooo much better!
  • brendamkay
    Options
    tlmeyn wrote: »
    My small victory was walking a kilometer, even though my knee is sore.
    Great job!
  • brendamkay
    Options
    kts1988 wrote: »
    I resisted an urge to emotionally eat after a stressful day at work. I relaxed instead and feel soooo much better!

Its awesome when we recognize how our positive choices make us feel good. *Two thumbs way up*
  • miannie
    miannie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    (Hi, I'm new and) I like this post! Today's victory for me is completing my workout at the gym. :)
  • malika1976
    malika1976 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I got to the top of a hill (elevation 374m) without taking a break! I was expecting to only be able to take it 10 steps at a time, and to be pouring with sweat, but I got to the top no worse for wear. (This weekend I plan to do the same walk in the light).
  • rebekahzinn1
    rebekahzinn1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I need this. I haven't been losing weight lately, but I have had so many signs of permanent healthy changes:

1) I am losing my feeling that I need to overeat in unusual situations. I have learned strategies for eating out and at holidays and birthdays that totally work for me, and that I feel really good about. I don't feel left out or cheated because I don't chose to overeat on those occasions.

2) My first line of stress relief is now exercise, not food.

3) I feel compelled to exercise every day. Sometimes I take a day off, but almost every day I at least take a 40 minute walk or practice martial arts. I am becoming faster and stronger.

4) I am totally ok with things that used to hurt me, like throwing away extra food instead of eating it, and waiting for a meal even though I am hungry or craving food.

5) I eat primarily for my nutritional needs, rather than my emotional needs.

6) And wow, I am firmly a size large top, 14 bottom. This opens up a huge world of possibilities.

• Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have a small victory from last night!! My husband works overnights and I have days when I feel down or just had a bad night and I will wait for him to leave around 9pm and then go and ravage my fridge. I like to go for carbs: cheese, tortillas, burritos, snack cakes (why any of this is still in my house...I do not know) and I will eat myself to the point of throwing up. I don't know why I do this or why I wont quit, but it is what it is.

So, yesterday I felt snacky all day. Luckily, at work, all I had around me was "healthier" snacks. So I munched throughout the day and went over my calories by about 250 cals. I had decided I was going to eat more. I made that decision even before I got home last night. I was going to wait for my husband to leave (because failing in front of him would be too hard) and as soon as the garage door closed, I was off! I went to the kitchen and grabbed a frozen burrito and was about to put in in the microwave and.... I stopped. What the hell am I doing? Right now I could probably go to bed, do well tomorrow and be right back on track...but if I ate this I would probably not stop and continue and end up going over calories by like 1500+, not to mention fat, carbs, and the dreaded sodium.... is this worth it?....whatever, I'll deal with it tomorrow (I put it in the microwave)...NO, this is stupid, I need to stop doing this to myself...(took it out of the microwave)... I have been good all week and this can't hurt that much, right? Screw it...(in microwave, door closed)... NO, I AM BETTER THAN THIS!... (out of microwave and back in the freezer) Better yet-screw you burrito!..(out of the freezer and in the trash) What now... I went to the fridge and grabbed some grilled chicken salad strips, romaine, and cottage cheese. weighed it, mixed it together and ate it.

I went over my calories yesterday, but I won the eternal battle with myself and made (not the best) but a better decision!
  • malika1976
    malika1976 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Jackie9950 wrote: »
    I have a small victory from last night ... NO, I AM BETTER THAN THIS!... (out of microwave and back in the freezer) Better yet-screw you burrito!..(out of the freezer and in the trash) What now... I went to the fridge and grabbed some grilled chicken salad strips, romaine, and cottage cheese. weighed it, mixed it together and ate it.

I went over my calories yesterday, but I won the eternal battle with myself and made (not the best) but a better decision!

Congratulations that's not a small victory. Thanks for sharing!
  • baroquepop
    baroquepop Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I need this. I haven't been losing weight lately, but I have had so many signs of permanent healthy changes:

1) I am losing my feeling that I need to overeat in unusual situations. I have learned strategies for eating out and at holidays and birthdays that totally work for me, and that I feel really good about. I don't feel left out or cheated because I don't chose to overeat on those occasions.

2) My first line of stress relief is now exercise

Wonderful accomplishments, super list, inspiring!
  • baroquepop
    Options
    malika1976 wrote: »
    I got to the top of a hill (elevation 374m) without taking a break! I was expecting to only be able to take it 10 steps at a time, and to be pouring with sweat, but I got to the top no worse for wear. (This weekend I plan to do the same walk in the light).

Go you, that's great!

• baroquepop
    Options
    miannie wrote: »
    (Hi, I'm new and) I like this post! Today's victory for me is completing my workout at the gym. :)

Congratulations! Good going!
  • baroquepop
    Options
    I'm walking consistently much more than I have in the past and I'm becoming more understanding of myself w/less need to use food for emotional reasons.
  • shannylove9
    shannylove9 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love this. My small victory today is I walked away from a binge eat before it happened. Was literally walking towards a kitchen table full of sweets with the desire to eat them all, and turned away.

First time in I can't remember how long lol. So Im proud of myself!
  • malovafarms
    malovafarms Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    well I didn't say no to dessert , but I didn't go for seconds or thirds ;) ! and I put the running shoes on today .. :)
  • rebekahzinn1
    rebekahzinn1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There are sweets at work, and I'm not even very tempted. My rational brain is so much stronger now. It says, "Eating that will make me feel bad." And I'm convinced by that thought.

Went thrift shopping for clothes yesterday and had a ball. Now am a size 12 top and 14 bottom, and my choices seem limitless. I can actually dress according to my style, instead of having to wear whatever fits and doesn't look completely sloppy. It's so much fun.

I'm getting into body weight exercises, kettlebell and clubbell training, and I love it. My body is changing so fast. I can do 20 pushups from my knees. I recently could only do 1!

I'm starting to run. It doesn't hurt at all, and I'm not jiggly all over.

Construction workers are being sexist and lewd to me. I count this as a victory as well.

I could go on and on. I keep posting in this and similar boards because I love the opportunity focusing on non-weight victories. That's mainly because my weight is still plateaued, as much as I want to lose. Oh, I hope my next victory is to say I don't care if my weight changes, that I'm so happy with my body and my progress exactly where it is, exactly where my body is comfortable.
  • SavingCarol
    SavingCarol Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My small victory was finally putting out the cash to buy a recumbent trike and I'm making a point to ride every moment I get. It rides around in the car with me so that if there's opportunity, I'm pulling it out of the car and I'm triking away! ...burning calories. I have been VERY sedentary over the last year. I have had enough of that and getting heavier and heavier. ...Soooo, out of the 7 days I've owned this awesome trike, I've been out on it 6 of the 7 days and have gone about 40 miles on it now! I can FEEL the burn! Yay! Go Me! The best part.... I think I'm hooked! I've found a new passion to fuel me and help with weight loss. AND it's a FUN one!