Let's Squat!

Options

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Heh. I never graduated beyond the broomstick. You don't need weights. If bodyweight squats become too easy, start doing them with one leg. :)
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Toddlers have the best form.
    6cp2C7n.jpg
  • spunkyabroad
    spunkyabroad Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I did squats today!

My first real exercise since breaking my shoulder. (Not recommended by the way, totally sucks!)

I also used weights for the first time at physical therapy today! So excited! I'm getting better!

Firm bum, here I come!
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    This post makes me to go and do squats. See ya later!!!
  • samko1976
    samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Great stuff @spunkyabroad! Thanks for the inspiration and info @wabmester, @Keliandra, @itcphotog, @deksgrl and @DonPendergraft!
    That toddler is too cute. Can I go that low? Unlikely but I'll give it a go tomorrow with my 25 squats.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Form is more important than quantity, so even if you do 20% of your goal but do them properly, you'll do better by your body!
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm in, I started doing squats at the gym about a couple weeks ago. I use the 15lb weights, I feel it all in my thighs and butt, and I have bad knees. As long as I do them right my knees aren't effected. I do 3 sets of 10.....hopefully I'll be seeing results soon...
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Trainer had my try a free motion squat machine. It stabilizes my core while I work on my leg strength. Really seemed to help!
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    The key for me to drop lower was to RELAX into the squat.
    I'll try that, thank you <3
    wabmester wrote: »
    I'd say this thread needs pictures, but that'd be inappropriate. Right? >:)
    LOL I know, I know, a guy can hope. But isn't it a woman's job to tease and not deliver? [Just joking, not opening up a topic for discussion.] Back to topic...
    Toddlers have the best form.
    Naawww that's too cute. I topple over backwards before the half-way point. Unless I wear heeled shoes. What is anyone's thoughts on actually doing that for squats. Are heels allowing me to do the exercise correctly and therefore a good idea?

• Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Did my 20. Still no paramedics, yippee! I'm going to try pointing my toes way out like dancer's plié. Supposed to be awesome for inner thighs, or so my flexible 20 yr old daughter informed me. Hopefully knee keeps holding up. (So far not noticing any knee pain at all).
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    @Kate that's really awesome. On all counts!
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    @GrannyMayOz thanks. I'm going to measure thighs to see if it makes a difference. If I can do them that way, that is.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Do let us know! I feel as if my thighs have lost some fat on this WOE and that is where I've always held most of my weight/fat. Even when I've occasionally and rarely been 'slim', they still sit there without change.
  • samko1976
    Options
    Squat squatty squat squat! Really have to push it now. Did my 25 for the day!
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    samko1976 wrote: »
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/sallytamarkin/take-buzzfeeds-squat-challenge

Anybody want to join me in some very unladylike squatting over the next 27 days. :blush:
    I'll be starting tomorrow but anyone can join whenever. Feel free to friend me too

I'm confused. Why are you saying squats are unladylike?

• GrannyMayOz
    Options
    pope705 wrote: »
    I'm confused. Why are you saying squats are unladylike?

Didn't Mama tell us to keep our knees together? Or is that just me in the older generation ;)

• GSD_Mama
    Options
    If you want to squat a lot there is a good YouTube channel that I really like Fittness Blender, I love their Drop it like a Squat 30 min workout. I started it yesterday and will try to do it daily combining with arm and abs and then do about 20 min of cardio.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=11JXbBBgfWg
  • samko1976
    Options
    Looks like a great workout @GSD_Mama! Something to aim for. I honestly had a look at it yesterday when it came up on my feed. Something for me to try in the next few weeks - probably at the end of the 27 day challenge.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Naawww that's too cute. I topple over backwards before the half-way point. Unless I wear heeled shoes. What is anyone's thoughts on actually doing that for squats. Are heels allowing me to do the exercise correctly and therefore a good idea?
    [/quote]

@GrannyMayOz,
    It's natural for we Westerners. You can work on your "Third World Squat". :)

Specialized shoes for squatting have a slightly lifted heel for this reason. They also have zero padding. So don't wear your padded running shoes. I didn't want to buy specialty shoes, so I used my wrestling shoes which are great for deadlifts. I would just throw a two 5lb plates on the ground so I could rest my heels on them. That helped me a lot.

Having said that, if you are doing body weight squats, it's not a big deal if you wear regular shoes. Working on the flexibility helps. I do body weight squats now and what I do (which you cannot do with a barbell on your back!) is during each rep lift my arms in front of me. It acts as enough of a counter-balance to keep me on an even keel. I hope this makes sense!
  • GSD_Mama
    Options
    I wear my regular sneakers and started to use 10lb Dumbbells but now my arms killing me lol
    I love deadlifts and can do them all day long vs squats.