Let's discuss it all. Welcome home.

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I didn't even notice I'm not in jail anymore. Time for a new profile picture

Woo hoo you got sprung!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I didn't even notice I'm not in jail anymore. Time for a new profile picture

Oh snap!
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    17384549899_315b90d0c9_z.jpg

A new Ben and Jerry's flavor. I'll pick it up if I see just for the SOS wrapper.

A new Ben and Jerry's flavor. I'll pick it up if I see just for the SOS wrapper.

Looks interesting-- I'm not generally a big fruit ice cream lover. But I have been really enjoying the Gelato Fiasco Maine Blueberry so maybe I'm on a fruit kick.[/

Looks interesting-- I'm not generally a big fruit ice cream lover. But I have been really enjoying the Gelato Fiasco Maine Blueberry so maybe I'm on a fruit kick.

I am very interested in this flavor...

I haven't been able to afford ice cream lately so I've been mostly mooching and using Baskin Robbins gift cards. Love Potion #31 was lovely with pretty sizable chocolate hearts and a raspberry ribbon. I also had their Baseball Nut another time which is basically the same base as LP #31 but has nuts instead of chocolate hearts--what kind of nuts, I cannot remember. I tried perusing the ice cream section for deals as I have a Haagen Dazs coupon for 1.50. No luck. I did get a mango sorbet for 2.99 and ate the entire pint. My boyfriend also bought Open Nature Coffee ice cream as well, but the calories to serving size ratio was terrible so I'm waiting to fit it in.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I dunno why my last post posted weird^ the group/forum always acts funny from my phone :confused:
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    What's the most recent ice cream/gelato that you've tried for the first time and loved?

I'm just looking for ideas, I haven't had ice cream in a long time because I labeled it as 'bad' food. I've changed my ways. :smile: Any suggestions other than Talenti?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What's the most recent ice cream/gelato that you've tried for the first time and loved?

I'm just looking for ideas, I haven't had ice cream in a long time because I labeled it as 'bad' food. I've changed my ways. :smile: Any suggestions other than Talenti?

Gelato Fiasco. Had a pint of Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel that I loved. Now have a pint of Espresso Chip that I haven't opened yet. It's reasonable calorie-wise per serving, but it doesn't tell how much is in half a cup.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Welcome.... So there are a lot of reviews embedded in here. The most widely distributed favorite for most of us is Talenti, because it is available in a lot of locations. There are mixed reviews on many of the Ben and Jerry flavors, and I think people generally like the Breyers Gelato flavors fairly well. For less calorie dense options, Edy's Slow Churned has some good choice, and I really like the Skinny Cow Salted Caramel Pretzel bars.

Not sure where you are located but if you're getting back on the ice cream wagon I would seek out a local shop that makes their own ice cream or gelato in house, many of these sell by the pint and would have some interesting flavors.

Yeah for giving up food demonization!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I'm having a bit of a fall-ish night. A while back I found some pumpkin gelato in the freezer that I had forgotten about so I decided I needed to eat that up before breaking into my B&J that I got on sale. The pumpkin by itself was kind of uninteresting so I got out some cinnamon sugar pita chips and used those to scoop up the gelato almost like eating chips and dip... I have to say it was pretty tasty and I will be remembering that in October!
  • krissyreminisce
    Options
    See, I want to try Ben and Jerry's, but the high calories freak me out! I remember liking Phish Food back when I was eating ice cream by the half gallon, but I haven't had any since. :anguished:
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of McConnell's. I thought it was mostly California-based, but turns out their distribution is much wider than that. And it is very good. My favorites are mostly brand-independent - one flavor is good / well-done and another from the same creamery is just so-so. It's awesome in that it forces me to spread my wings and try different things. I'll also echo Malibu that the Gelato Fiasco Dark Choc Sea Salt Caramel is fantastic and also very calorie-friendly (thank you Acrylics for the tip!).

I may be an outlier, but never been much of a B&J fan.

Good for you for abandoning the "bad food" mindset - no good comes from that. And lots of bad comes from it. Ignoring the "good / bad" dichotomy around foods is a very healthy thing!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Belated review. I tried the Talenti Tiramisu. Fine, but not a stand-out, IMHO. A decent coffee ice cream with some mix-ins, but I wasn't wowed. My family finished it off before I had more, which must be some sort of endorsement, since most of my family would not describe themselves as fans of coffee ice cream. I actually liked the raspberry cheesecake flavor more, and I am not a huge cheesecake fan (though I do enjoy a nice tiramisu). Still looking for Jeni's and others' goat cheese / beets / strange ingredients ice creams.
  • krissyreminisce
    Options

Man, you almost became the first person banned from this group. :)

Thank goodness! I started eating ice cream again BECAUSE of this group. :grin: And I found Talenti because of it as well.

Though it has made me want to try Jeni's. I saw on their Twitter they're making ice cream again and their shops will be open by memorial day weekend. I hope their pints start showing up in stores soon.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Man, you almost became the first person banned from this group. :)

Thank goodness! I started eating ice cream again BECAUSE of this group. :grin: And I found Talenti because of it as well.

Though it has made me want to try Jeni's. I saw on their Twitter they're making ice cream again and their shops will be open by memorial day weekend. I hope their pints start showing up in stores soon.

Ooh, that's great news! I'm wanting my Brambleberry again!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My favorite recent purchase . . . that would have to be the Gelato Fiasco Maine Blueberry. I honestly haven't had much that was super impressive lately. I'm not sure if I'm just being too picky or have been in a gelato-choosing funk.

I adore Phish Food. It's still one of my all time favorites.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Most of my recent purchases have been Talenti flavors with the only other McConnell's olive oil and almonds that I found pretty enjoyable.

If you can find Siviero Maria, I highly recommend picking up the tiramisu flavor. It's my first gelato and still easily one of my favorites.
  • krissyreminisce
    Options
    So, I went ice cream hunting today.

ywkygodwfhwz.jpg

I had little tastes of both and I'm very happy! If the Hazelnut Chocolate Chip had chips like the coconut one does, I might like it more.

Graeter's is more of a local brand, but I figured I was shelling out of Talenti, might as well try them, too. The Hazelnut flavor is fairly subtle, but the mix-ins are good and plentiful! There are some hazelnut pieces and little chocolate hazelnut truffles. Yum!

I can't wait for some long runs! They both have the same amount of calories, though the Graeter's serving size is 109g. :grin:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm always on the fence about Graeters. I don't like their base (too icy) but the mix-ins are always good.