Let's discuss it all. Welcome home.

Options
MrM27
MrM27 Posts: 18,355 Member
Here it is. Our space. Where we eat and appreciate those delectable gelato's and ice cream. Discuss, review and recommend those sweet, salty and savory treats. Posting of pictures is highly encouraged.

And go.....

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    In.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I found randomly at Target a very unexpectedly delicious ice cream:

12+mini+donut.jpg

At 150 cals a serving, how could I say no?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'll got first. Not my usual fare but I'm trying to shift into the 'getting ready for a bikini comp mindset' and lowering my calories so a few nights a week I'm trying out lower calorie treats. Tonight I'm having Roman Raspberry Sorbet (talenti) and Lemon Cake ice cream from Halo Top Creamery (for 190 calories total)

bhf196a.jpg?1

So the Roman Raspberry is, of course, delicious. Nice, tart, with just a hint of a bite on the back end. On of the nicer sorbets I've had, totally creamy and not frosty at all. Yum.

Now. The Lemon Cake. This is the dark horse/unknown factor. It's 70 cals a serving with 7g of protein and 12 carb. The company is on record of saying they intend to compete with Arctic Zero. So. That's scary. since Arctic Zero tastes like cardboard. However Halo Top is not a 'frozen dessert' (as Arctic Zero must label themselves) but meets the standards to be called an actual ice cream. Less scary?

Well it's texture is...not awful, for starters. It's not frost and it kind of creamy, but more creamy like cheesecake than creamy like ice cream, if that makes sense. The flavor is not what I expected, but that's more on me than the ice cream. I expected sour lemony tartness and got smooth sweet cake with a light lemon taste. Not overpowering and kind of refreshing when eaten with my raspberry sorbet. Kind of mellow actually. All in all I could buy it again.

Tomorrow night: Dark Chocolate Salty Caramel!
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    The forums is where I learned about Talenti and I've never looked back. Thanks, guys! :drinker:
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I just bought this one today, its like a frozen cinnabon. Its the best Ive had in forever blogger-image--1463201956.jpg

And I'm excited to try these, because its my favorite flavor, and these will help me limit it to 200 calories lol
    14941463_201311061503.jpg
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    medium_WK38_PYL_PD_015.jpg

Found these at Aldi last week. Come in a 4 flavour pack. Minis are 140 cals each.

I eat 3 at once for not much more cals than a regular single stick and I get 3 different flavours.

Almond is my fav, followed by dark then white. Milk choc can piss right off :laugh:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I just bought this one today, its like a frozen cinnabon. Its the best Ive had in forever blogger-image--1463201956.jpg

And I'm excited to try these, because its my favorite flavor, and these will help me limit it to 200 calories lol

OMG OMG OMG I love Edy's slow churned so freaking much! It's always so soft and creamy and amazing flavors! Definitely will keep my eye out for that one. I love the key lime pie flavor!
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Gelato Buonissimo in Bussleton, south Western Australia. The hazelnut chocolate is the business

30w83h2.jpg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    In!

Tried the Jeni's Brambleberry Crisp last night.

th?id=HN.608009164215944275&pid=15.1

The base is really creamy and thick, and the berry flavor is really nice. It tastes like a pie I'd make out of real berries, not like a canned fruit. I especially like the clusters of oat topping. I think there's a hint of cream cheese flavor in the vanilla base.

However, and please don't burn me at the stake, I do not think it was worth $11. It's possible that I would feel differently about the salty caramel, but I didn't get that one because I much prefer ice cream with mix-ins and it looked like a uniform caramel base. I think my main issue is that I'm comparing it to the Gelato Fiasco, which is $6/pint, and the Jeni's isn't $5/pint better than the GF, if that makes sense.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

OMG OMG OMG I love Edy's slow churned so freaking much! It's always so soft and creamy and amazing flavors! Definitely will keep my eye out for that one. I love the key lime pie flavor!

I love that Edy's one. And Edy's slow churned is my low cal ice cream of choice.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Last night was boardwalk food night so I had one of these (stole the picture from google cause I ate it before I could get a pic)

frozen-custard-jersey-shore.jpg

Finished the night with a serving of my german chocolate pb swirl
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    In!

Tried the Jeni's Brambleberry Crisp last night.

th?id=HN.608009164215944275&pid=15.1

The base is really creamy and thick, and the berry flavor is really nice. It tastes like a pie I'd make out of real berries, not like a canned fruit I especially like the clusters of oat topping. I think there's a hint of cream cheese flavor in the vanilla base.

However, and please don't burn me at the stake, I do not think it was worth $11. It's possible that I would feel differently about the salty caramel, but I didn't get that one because I much prefer ice cream with mix-ins and it looked like a uniform caramel base. I think my main issue is that I'm comparing it to the Gelato Fiasco, which is $6/pint, and the Jeni's isn't $5/pint better than the GF, if that makes sense.

Jeni's base does have cream cheese in it, I can't make myself spend $11 for a pint, that's why I started making my own
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Gelato Buonissimo in Bussleton, south Western Australia. The hazelnut chocolate is the business

30w83h2.jpg

Can I just have a spoon and stay here for awhile
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

I am so going to buy these today. Thank you to all the members here that are friends. You made me try gelato and I will never go back. :heart:
  • MadTownD
    MadTownD Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I joined this group just so I could add this. It's not ice cream, but I usually have one of these per week. Because yummiliciousness:

14665772424_983bbfcbc8.jpg

ETA: I read in the first post "recommend those sweet, salty and savory treats" and thought I'd post this donut... which I obviously did... and, then I kind of realized the group was more ice cream/gelato oriented. Well, I hope I don't get kicked out, but if I had a choice between that donut and ice cream, well, I'd eat the donut first... then the ice cream. :-)
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I joined this group just so I could add this. It's not ice cream, but I usually have one of these per week. Because yummiliciousness:

14665772424_983bbfcbc8.jpg

ETA: I read in the first post "recommend those sweet, salty and savory treats" and thought I'd post this donut... which I obviously did... and, then I kind of realized the group was more ice cream/gelato oriented. Well, I hope I don't get kicked out, but if I had a choice between that donut and ice cream, well, I'd eat the donut first... then the ice cream. :-)

If it's cream filled - no problem. Those are awesome. I love them, too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should invest in a freezer.

Definitely need to try that Edy's and go back to Target now. Breyer's raspberry cheesecake gelato is still on my list though (I actually really love the mix of flavors in the triple chocolate one).
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Is it bad that this thread is making me contemplate visiting the US again just to try some of this gelato and icecream?!