Why didn't I do this sooner?

Options
LuizH
LuizH Posts: 211 Member
I've been lurking in this group forum for about a month now. I felt like I wanted to pop in and let everyone know how helpful all of your discussions have been :)

I first lost weight with Atkins and exercise around 10 years ago after my youngest son was born, when I was at my highest non-pregnancy weight. It was an incredibly easy way for me to lose weight and I lost 4stone (~25kg) in a matter of months. Old eating habits crept back in and although I continued to increase the amount of exercise I was doing I gradually regained all of that back so that around January this year I once again came close to my highest weight. I've tried to go back to Atkins again a few times over the years but found struggled to keep up with the activities I've grown so fond of, and found the WOE much harder than I did the first time round. I tried other diets focussing on calorie restriction (CICO and IF), these never work for me because they just make me hangry!

After a friend recommended paleo to me, I started looking into keto again and this is where these forums have really helped. My brain has finally clicked that the HIGH FAT portion of keto is just as important as the low carb. Unlike previous attempts when I have tried to exist on eggs and meat I am enjoying a much wider range of foods (cherry tomatoes with big dollops of mayo are now my all-time favourite lunch), although I am yet to attempt BPC - maybe when my weight loss stalls ;)

After my first week loss of nearly 2kg I had a stall in week 2 when I had to go away to a work conference. But now I've just finished week 3 and I'm back to weighing myself every day, because it's just so satisfying to stand on the scales in the morning and always weigh less than I did the day before. I've lost 4kg in 24 days and the best bit is I'm still training at swimming and karate, still cycling to and from work, and still lifting heavy 2-3 times per week.

Sorry for the long essay post, but thanks for all the support you didn't know you were giving me <3

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it wasn't me - but well done on your loss, that's fantastic.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing. I lurked and read everything I could before starting this woe. The encouragement I got before I ever jumped into conversations was amazing. I have learned so much from all of them!

So welcome! It's the best place on MFP!!
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time in this group. There is always someone with an answer to any question you might have. And of course someone to listen when you want to rant.Everyone is so friendly and understanding that I come here everyday and actually post sometimes *gasp*. Enjoy the journey, it's well worth it.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. Congrats on turning your life around. You will find folks here are more than willing to help and share experience. :)
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd done this 20 years ago - but of course we didn't know so much about it then.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Ha ha welcome 'secret friend'. I'm glad you've announced yourself and we're happy to have you :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd done this 20 years ago - but of course we didn't know so much about it then.

I wish I knew about this when I was in jr high and I discovered Doritos, Dr Pepper, and Hershey's Kisses..that's when it all started...sigh...

But we know now. :smile:

the-best-time-to-plant-a-tree-was-20-years-ago-the-second-best-time-to-plant-a-tree-is-today.jpg

Oh the bright side, I'm now back down to the size I was then, before I began my long carb addiction.
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    welcome :)
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    It is like anything else--we can be told "You need to do this...." and in our mind WE think we know everything about everything. How many times has a doctor told us we are overweight and need to lose weight? You can't move forward until your mind moves forward. I have refused to give up carbs for so long and I have been up a creek without a paddle all this time with my weightloss efforts. I started LCHF 10 days ago and I'm already down 9lbs. THAT IS INSANE! Also, I have no cravings and I am satisfied. Now I get what everyone has said for so long!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It is like anything else--we can be told "You need to do this...." and in our mind WE think we know everything about everything. How many times has a doctor told us we are overweight and need to lose weight? You can't move forward until your mind moves forward. I have refused to give up carbs for so long and I have been up a creek without a paddle all this time with my weightloss efforts. I started LCHF 10 days ago and I'm already down 9lbs. THAT IS INSANE! Also, I have no cravings and I am satisfied. Now I get what everyone has said for so long!

In my experience, being told that happened all the time, it was the how I couldn't get them to actually explain. I always got one of two responses:

1. Join Weight Watchers.
    2. You're doing it wrong ("it" being eating the amount MFP says I need, and practicing high intensity martial arts at the time). Eat 1600 calories and start running (because apparently, running, swimming, and biking are the only exercises to do to lose weight).