Keto Struggle

Options
Critcrittle
Critcrittle Posts: 25 Member
Hello!
I just started the Ketogenic diet.
I think I am on the right track, but I would love input from those of you who have been doing this longer and know more baout it!!
If anyone feels up to it....check out my food diary from yesterday and let me know if you have any advice on what I should and shouldn't do!
Thanks (:
Can't wait to continue this with everyone (:

Replies

• Delingar
    Delingar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Not sure what you've set up your macros at....seems like most people try to stay at around 20-30g of carb a day and you're going over that by a lot. Sadly, doing an aggressive keto diet means you really cannot eat large quantities of fruit. I stick to raspberries and blackberries because they have relatively low carbs and high fibers, unlike things like grapes. Pecans can be keto friendly but pecan pralines are not...they're essentially sugar coated pecans. I also noticed you had Yogplait, which is not very low carb. If you're a yogurt person, you'll have to look for CarbMaster (available at Krogers and Ralphs), or full fat Fage. There's also a product called Quark by Elli which is fairly low carb.

Feel free to add me and/or look at my food diary. I usually stay under 30g net carb a day though I've been overshooting that a bit the last few days!
  • wildgator
    wildgator Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi critcrittle! One of the biggest things about keto is throwing away conventional dietary knowledge. You do not have to eat fruit (as a matter of fact, it's not the best idea. You can have a little bit every now and then but very little, Delingar said it better about the fruit and yogurt.) You want to avoid carbohydrates (bread, potatoes) and sugar like the plague essentially. You do not have to deprive yourself of good foods, like real bacon vs turkey bacon. Eat the real bacon! Instead of using those powdered or liquid sugary creamers, use heavy cream and sugar free coffee syrup (I see it all the time in Sam's Club.) Instead of light mayo, get real mayo. As a matter of fact, avoid anything with the word "light" in the name, the trick behind that is they remove a gram or two of fat and replace it with 2-4 grams of sugar, and we want to eat the fat.

I've heard low carb/keto referred to as "learning how to drive on the other side of the road." It can be daunting at first because of the fat stigma and it basically goes against everything we've been taught about nutrition, but you need to eat fat. It will be easier if you learn how to prepare simple foods like hamburger or chicken. It's definitely possible, you just have to arm yourself with the correct knowledge on what you can and cannot eat on a ketogenic diet. You can do it! I believe in you!

Feel free to check out my diary, I've been logging for the past 2 weeks or so.
  • nobodysdriving
    nobodysdriving Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Very good advice I agree with the above. Also it may help to limit things like protein drinks and eat real food instead...watch out for 'hidden' ingredients if you buy factory made food, look at the carbs if hitting 5gr per 100gr of carbs you already know it's too much. Stay away from fruit, not worth it, even blueberries just make you crave sweet stuff anyway.
  • Critcrittle
    Options
    Thank you all! I was getting a lot of negative feedback before I read these comments! It's motivating to have people give me advice versus telling me I should try something else, ha!
  • wrenbird
    wrenbird Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My advice is to avoid the haters and the negative comments – just ignore them too. People will argue against things they do not understand. From what I have read the keto lifestyle is very beneficial, although hard for some to understand if they have not read the books and seen the research and science behind it.
  • Sarasayshi
    Sarasayshi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other comments. If you are craving fruit try making fat bombs with berries. That way you won't feel deprived and you can still enjoy fruits like berries in moderation since usually one batch of fat bombs will only use 1/4 cup of berries total. Just google "strawberry cheesecake fat bombs" they are to die for!
  • Critcrittle
    Options
    Sarasayshi wrote: »
    I agree with the other comments. If you are craving fruit try making fat bombs with berries. That way you won't feel deprived and you can still enjoy fruits like berries in moderation since usually one batch of fat bombs will only use 1/4 cup of berries total. Just google "strawberry cheesecake fat bombs" they are to die for!

They look so good! I had never heard of those....I am definitely going ot have to give that a try!! Thank you :D
    wrenbird wrote: »
    My advice is to avoid the haters and the negative comments – just ignore them too. People will argue against things they do not understand. From what I have read the keto lifestyle is very beneficial, although hard for some to understand if they have not read the books and seen the research and science behind it.

Thank you (: It is definitely discouraging when at first you only hear negativew feedback! I'm still not quite where I want to be....but I feel like I am getting a little better...Time will tell (:
  • suessm
    suessm Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Guys, I've been doing Keto for a few months, have achieved tremendous results, have experimented (what am I saying, still experimenting) and have learned allot... I've done the tracking of food, watched what it had done to my blood ketones (yeah, pretty extreme) and blood glucose. Lost over 85 lbs in about two months, and no exercise.(not that I'm advocating no exercise, just that I didn't.)

There is a lot of naysayers out there, funny that they never tried it, and none understand where the food pyramid came from, and how unhealthy it really is... I have buried my head into several books, regarding ketosis, metabolism, etc, trying to get a comprehensive understanding of how, why it works, if it's detrimental, so on and so forth. Don't let the naysayers beat you down... If any of you want to discuss anything about Keto, or what I learned, or just need some support, just shoot me a line...

Later.

Michael.
  • MegDah1
    MegDah1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the above comments as well. It's definitely hard in the beginning to give up the foods you like/are used to eating but like everything else it's mostly just a matter of habit :) I use a lot of sugar free syrups (Davinci has amazing variety), QuestBars or even the Russell Stover's sugar free candy when I'm craving sugar. Up your fat intake with things like ghee, heavy whipping cream, olive oil and grass fed butter. My current diet is a lot of eggs, meats (chicken, ground beef, oven roasted turkey, pepperoni etc) cheese (jalapeño has 0 carbs) hot sauces/spices, unsweetened almond milk, Iced COFFEE! Salads, mugcakes, cream cheese, black bean spaghetti, bean sprouts, zevia soda. If you look on sites like lowcarbgrocery they have tons of things including breads and pastas that have next to no carbs but still let you eat the meals you're used to! Hope this helps, I find the hardest part is knowing/finding products that fit into your keto macros :) Best of luck!
  • LittleMamaVas
    LittleMamaVas Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    MegDah1, what is this black bean spaghetti? It its anything close enough to the taste of the real thing I'm very interesting in learning more!
  • chloexoxmae
    chloexoxmae Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi there.
    Do you have your macros set?
    You can customize your own evreything.
    For example; I set my calories at 1500, carbs 5%, protein 20%, fats 75%. Then MFP will give you a gram limit for each. That helps me a lot, Im constantly checking macros and grams.

Search a list of the lowest carb veggies. This is very important as you need to keep your fiber up. Im on day 12 and so constipated it feels like my backside just got took by the devil with no lube. Seriously, fiber powder or pills if you notice your BMs becoming smaller or darker.

Welp, i close with that then
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    vasylchukp wrote: »
    MegDah1, what is this black bean spaghetti? It its anything close enough to the taste of the real thing I'm very interesting in learning more!

I tried the black bean spaghetti and just couldn't get into it. The texture was a little like rubber bands and while it didn't have a strong flavor, the flavor just seemed to override any sauces.

• bhavekost
    bhavekost Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there.
    ....This is very important as you need to keep your fiber up. Im on day 12 and so constipated it feels like my backside just got took by the devil with no lube. Seriously, fiber powder or pills if you notice your BMs becoming smaller or darker....

Make sure you're getting plenty of sodium, iodine and magnesium. I had the same symptoms as you and found that augmenting with magnesium supplements took care of that problem within 24 hours.