Opionion: Makes sense or bullshite?

Options
Keliandra
Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo3TRbkIrow

The bottom line is that the cause of garden-variety obesity is relatively simple: Excess (processed) carbs increases insulin which increases fat storage and blocks leptin.

Replies

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course this makes sense. This is one of the main reasons I gave up grains and sugar years ago....when I learned about leptin.
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Makes perfect sense. There was a TedTalk that was JUST released on the subject of low carbing to reverse diabetes and insulin resistance.

I'll post it later when I get off mobile
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    erikgoya wrote: »
    Makes perfect sense. There was a TedTalk that was JUST released on the subject of low carbing to reverse diabetes and insulin resistance.

I'll post it later when I get off mobile

Tedx, but ya:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it makes sense or not -- there's a lot of learned people out there who think it is *kitten*.

I honestly don't even care anymore. All I know is that there is absolutely something physically wrong with me -- even though I haven't been diagnosed with anything -- that low carb fixes. I trust the science will eventually catch up to my reality but until then it works. And that's good enough for me. :smile:
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Not bull! Is REAL!
    @kirkor, thank you for posting this video. I think it needs to be included in the Launch Pad! Great information!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Sounds reasonable to me :-). Back when I ate *kitten* loads of carbs, I was always hungry. Always. Also was in a pre diabetic state. My blood sugars were all kinds of screwed up.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I agree add this to the launch pad...
  • Keliandra
    Options
    Thx, I sent this over to my mum, so that she understands why I took myself off of my insulin.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Awesome videos. Am sending to my daughter. She's a vegetarian & needs to eat every 2 hrs or she feels ill. But I bet it's the pasta & rice. Nice to have such a thorough & understandable explanation.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it makes sense or not -- there's a lot of learned people out there who think it is *kitten*.

I honestly don't even care anymore. All I know is that there is absolutely something physically wrong with me -- even though I haven't been diagnosed with anything -- that low carb fixes. I trust the science will eventually catch up to my reality but until then it works. And that's good enough for me. :smile:

I hear you loud and clear. Although I do think this makes sense. I know that same situation where they search and search for something wrong with you, you KNOW there's something wrong with you. You're not making it up. Thankfully, we've both found low carb. Kinda pisses me off that I had to live almost 40 years in that pain, fog and lethargy. People critisizing me telling me i was lazy and a fat slob/pig. THAT is what is bullshite if you ask me!
  • HorseChick008
    HorseChick008 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bravo
  • mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has a different carbohydrate tolerance. We have all seen the skinny people that can eat a ton of carbs and stay nice and slim, I am still trying to figure out exactly what my tolerance is, if I eat too few I do feel bad, but definately feel better on a lower carb diet than higher carb, usually try to stay under 50 grams per day.
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just the encouragement I need to "stay the course"...thanks for posting this link re: the benefits of low carb.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10158994/opionion-makes-sense-or-bullshite#latest
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    mamafazz wrote: »
    I think everyone has a different carbohydrate tolerance. We have all seen the skinny people that can eat a ton of carbs and stay nice and slim

Don't forget that, although they may be slim, they are probably not healthy. At least overweight folks, like me, know they need to fix something.

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Makes sense to me! :D

Very well explained... thanks for posting!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I agree add this to the launch pad...

Agreed and done. :smile:
  • spunkyabroad
    spunkyabroad Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    mamafazz wrote: »
    I think everyone has a different carbohydrate tolerance. We have all seen the skinny people that can eat a ton of carbs and stay nice and slim

Don't forget that, although they may be slim, they are probably not healthy. At least overweight folks, like me, know they need to fix something.

In the linked video, the Dr. says that up to 25% of normal weight people are actually pre diabetic.

People with normal bmi have heart attacks and strokes too.

Maybe I'm lucky that I had a visible manifestation of my problem with carbs.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the TED talk link. Now that we have more MD's speaking out it helps remove the question marks that have been put behind eating low carb as a lifestyle. Having found LCHF by accident (just evolved into it) when researching pain control by food to eat and to not eat instead of for weight loss makes my motivation unusual. Once I broke the carb addiction and most of the debilitating pain faded away I knew I could stay off carbs for the rest of my life.

While I have only been off carbs (<50 grams daily) for 8 months my general health is better than it was 20 years ago when I was 44. Already I see people that are in the same boat as I only a year ago and I so want to tell them about what low carbing has meant to me. When I have mentioned it the level of interest approached .003%.

Like I was a year ago people do not see some foods can make one sick and just learning what they are and stop eating them can lead to recovering health.

The one potential good point that may come out of socialized medicine paid for by the taxpayers is treating diabetes, etc, etc with food vs Rx meds.
  • Keliandra
    Options
    Here is another interesting link I found.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/5-ways-to-improve-insulin-sensitivity

I like this quote: "Achieving a relative calorie deficit is still the most important piece of the fat loss puzzle – it's just not the only one. Of almost equal importance is understanding the metabolic and hormonal affects of food and then using that knowledge to develop a targeted plan of action."
  • BookAngel_a
    BookAngel_a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you for posting both of those videos. They are great. Made so much sense to me, this seems to describe what happens to me when I am not eating low carb. This helps motivate me to stay the course with low carb. :)