Opionion: Makes sense or bullshite?

Options
2»

Replies

• ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    True, I was diagnosed diabetic about a month ago and my sugars were really really high... Tried low glycemic index for two weeks and didn't get anywhere And the I did 80 carbs or less and didn't get anywhere ...so I've been back to low-carbing for a week and I started actually losing weight after fighting for so long AND My daily blood sugars are fairly close to "normal"..
    Of course that is with the medication but I didn't have the results until I went low-carb, I'm trying to do what I can do to avoid being put on insulin and I feel the first place to start is with my diet.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I just received the doctor's endorsement to stop taking my insulin and stay LCHF. I think she wants to study me :open_mouth:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Keliandra wrote: »
    I just received the doctor's endorsement to stop taking my insulin and stay LCHF. I think she wants to study me :open_mouth:

Awesome! I feel that way with my endocrinologist... I know his initial instinct was to have me go back to taking Metformin to handle the insulin resistance, but he also realized my dietary compliance would suffer and agreed that continued compliance was more important since everything else was improving..
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm still on 2k Met a day.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling I might have to go back on Met for a while. Even doing this carnivore diet for the past month, my fasting blood sugar this morning was 115mg/dL. :(

I'd be okay with it, actually, as long as it actually works this time around. I'll probably see about getting the standard, since that's what I was on first, and the extended release seemed to be of limited effectiveness.

I need something to break this hyperinsulinemia cycle, and so far, diet alone hasn't really been working (or only very limited in its effect), Inositol isn't quite enough, either, and my back is keeping me from the high intensity stuff that might actually help.

And as for the videos -- yes, makes perfect sense, and I actually cheered listening to them, because it's what I've been saying for years. Parallels my experience perfectly (the only time I've been able to lose weight is when I've gotten my fasting insulin under 15 of whatever the units used in the US are). I'm even on a diet that anyone with a modicum of insulin sensitivity would start having difficulty keeping weight on, and most people start seeing their blood sugar drop after 3-4 weeks of not even as extreme as I've gone, and still have plateaued after a 10lb drop (which was the most I've seen since going off Met the last time nearly a year ago). :confounded:

I think I might give it until the end of the month (so it's the full cycle and so I can see if it's not hormone stupidity that's making the scale be stupid). If there's still not much change to speak of in scale and/or measurements since my May 1 measurements, I think I might call my primary doctor and see about another set of tests (since the other ones are nearly 6 months old at this point), and talk to her about trying regular Metformin if my insulin is still running high. At this point, I think I just need something to break that cycle and get the ball rolling.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Should I link the first video's series, too? Lustig gets on my nerves but I can't disagree with him. He's really respectable and non-immflamatory in the series.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I have a feeling I might have to go back on Met for a while. Even doing this carnivore diet for the past month, my fasting blood sugar this morning was 115mg/dL. :(

I'd be okay with it, actually, as long as it actually works this time around. I'll probably see about getting the standard, since that's what I was on first, and the extended release seemed to be of limited effectiveness.

I need something to break this hyperinsulinemia cycle, and so far, diet alone hasn't really been working (or only very limited in its effect), Inositol isn't quite enough, either, and my back is keeping me from the high intensity stuff that might actually help.

And as for the videos -- yes, makes perfect sense, and I actually cheered listening to them, because it's what I've been saying for years. Parallels my experience perfectly (the only time I've been able to lose weight is when I've gotten my fasting insulin under 15 of whatever the units used in the US are). I'm even on a diet that anyone with a modicum of insulin sensitivity would start having difficulty keeping weight on, and most people start seeing their blood sugar drop after 3-4 weeks of not even as extreme as I've gone, and still have plateaued after a 10lb drop (which was the most I've seen since going off Met the last time nearly a year ago). :confounded:

I think I might give it until the end of the month (so it's the full cycle and so I can see if it's not hormone stupidity that's making the scale be stupid). If there's still not much change to speak of in scale and/or measurements since my May 1 measurements, I think I might call my primary doctor and see about another set of tests (since the other ones are nearly 6 months old at this point), and talk to her about trying regular Metformin if my insulin is still running high. At this point, I think I just need something to break that cycle and get the ball rolling.

Maybe you need the nudge. If you need it for a brief period, then do it. I was listening to a Perlmutter podcast yesterday and the literature shows that a fasting reading that high isn't good long-term. Finish the cycle and then give the Met a trial. If you need it, you need it. Which isn't the same as treating the symptoms and NOT the cause. Because you have been treating the cause.

It's tiring to have to constantly tweak, I know, but with every experiment we are getting closer to our body's truth.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This group and this post has helped me so much. I appreciate this group more than any other. As I sit here writing this, I am fighting my overwhelming fatigue that has plagued me pretty much daily for years (apparently there is nothing wrong with me either, I must be depressed is what I'm told over and over, which is fine if that was my problem, but I'm not depressed), but I am friggin' tired every single day, have digestive, neck and back, and joint pain/problems, plus just trying to drop 40lbs. But I never fit into any "box" nicely so "there's nothing wrong with me" and I won't go into my list because it makes me look like a hypochondriac or somewhat crazy, but I'm pretty sure it is some sort of auto-immune problem I have and I think it's Ankylosing Spondylitis (I know I have colitis and gastritis and acid reflux) so I started in April just trying to cut out gluten to see if it helps, it did, but in this quest, I also remembered how good I felt when I was doing the Atkins diet and decided to reduce my carbs also (which wasn't that hard since I had already cut out gluten) and increase my fats. I have dropped 10lbs, but most importantly my digestive issues, which is really the reason I started this, have almost totally gone away. I "feel" better and truly believe gluten and simple carbs do not work well in my body, now if this helps my fatigue in any way shape or form, I can live with the other things. The point to my long winded post was THANKS LCHF group, thanks!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    This group and this post has helped me so much. I appreciate this group more than any other. As I sit here writing this, I am fighting my overwhelming fatigue that has plagued me pretty much daily for years (apparently there is nothing wrong with me either, I must be depressed is what I'm told over and over, which is fine if that was my problem, but I'm not depressed), but I am friggin' tired every single day, have digestive, neck and back, and joint pain/problems, plus just trying to drop 40lbs. But I never fit into any "box" nicely so "there's nothing wrong with me" and I won't go into my list because it makes me look like a hypochondriac or somewhat crazy, but I'm pretty sure it is some sort of auto-immune problem I have and I think it's Ankylosing Spondylitis (I know I have colitis and gastritis and acid reflux) so I started in April just trying to cut out gluten to see if it helps, it did, but in this quest, I also remembered how good I felt when I was doing the Atkins diet and decided to reduce my carbs also (which wasn't that hard since I had already cut out gluten) and increase my fats. I have dropped 10lbs, but most importantly my digestive issues, which is really the reason I started this, have almost totally gone away. I "feel" better and truly believe gluten and simple carbs do not work well in my body, now if this helps my fatigue in any way shape or form, I can live with the other things. The point to my long winded post was THANKS LCHF group, thanks!

Woot! That's great to hear! I've seen this way of eating and its cousins do some pretty miraculous things, so I wouldn't be surprised if you start getting more energy, even if it takes a while. \o/
    baconslave wrote: »

Maybe you need the nudge. If you need it for a brief period, then do it. I was listening to a Perlmutter podcast yesterday and the literature shows that a fasting reading that high isn't good long-term. Finish the cycle and then give the Met a trial. If you need it, you need it. Which isn't the same as treating the symptoms and NOT the cause. Because you have been treating the cause.

It's tiring to have to constantly tweak, I know, but with every experiment we are getting closer to our body's truth.

Yep, that's pretty much my train of thought. Right after I posted that, I remembered about using cinnamon supplementation to lower insulin. I'm thinking about trying that, first, since it doesn't need titrated up necessarily, and should act more quickly. I think I'm still going to call my doctor and see if I can get an insulin test (hopefully without appointments, I don't need them, just the number), just so I can see where I currently am, then try out the cinnamon and see if it makes a difference between now and my endo appointment.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Woot! That's great to hear! I've seen this way of eating and its cousins do some pretty miraculous things, so I wouldn't be surprised if you start getting more energy, even if it takes a while. \o/

Yep, that's pretty much my train of thought. Right after I posted that, I remembered about using cinnamon supplementation to lower insulin. I'm thinking about trying that, first, since it doesn't need titrated up necessarily, and should act more quickly. I think I'm still going to call my doctor and see if I can get an insulin test (hopefully without appointments, I don't need them, just the number), just so I can see where I currently am, then try out the cinnamon and see if it makes a difference between now and my endo appointment.

Be careful on the cinnamon. I eat it all the time, but when I switched to a supplement, it broke me out in a rash! It was either that or the flax or the combo, so just be wary of trying different types...
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Be careful on the cinnamon. I eat it all the time, but when I switched to a supplement, it broke me out in a rash! It was either that or the flax or the combo, so just be wary of trying different types...

Quick search says 1g a day should be sufficient, so I figure I'm going to start with that when I can get my hands on a supplement (seriously, the store had like 5 different brands of supplements, and only 1 actually had it, and they were out, wtf?).