Let's Squat!

Options

Replies

• nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Woo! I'm out of shape...who knew 5 extra squats would make such a difference between today and yesterday. 25 done!
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Naawww that's too cute. I topple over backwards before the half-way point. Unless I wear heeled shoes. What is anyone's thoughts on actually doing that for squats. Are heels allowing me to do the exercise correctly and therefore a good idea?

My Trained had me set my heels on 10# plats laid on the floor to do squats. said short hamstrings are common
  • samko1976
    samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Did my 30! Thanks for the info on this thread so really trying to go as deep as possible and concentrate on form. The toddler image is a great one to have in mind. Rest day tomorrow but back on Sunday for me :smile:
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks @DonP and @Keliandra I held onto a door frame and could squat so that my rear end was about 2" from the floor. Pretty sure the problem is short calf muscles for me. So I will do that daily (or more, knowing me) and see if I can get them stretched enough to look like a third world lady.

Have been using a rowing machine the past 2 days and can feel my quads from that, and my glutes a tiny bit. 2 x 10 mins at a medium pace yesterday and 1 x 10 min so far today but will do the second stint in a while. But just did my 100 squats. Was going to stop at 75 but lost count somewhere in the middle of the song so had to keep going to the end to know how many I'd achieved, har har!!! Didn't hurt until I sat on the computer chair a few seconds later ooooowwwwwwwwww!

So I can do 100, but I have a lot to improve on my technique. Going to work on that in secret and give my husband a shock :D He has laughed at my squats for the last time ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Thanks @DonP and @Keliandra I held onto a door frame and could squat so that my rear end was about 2" from the floor. Pretty sure the problem is short calf muscles for me. So I will do that daily (or more, knowing me) and see if I can get them stretched enough to look like a third world lady.

Have been using a rowing machine the past 2 days and can feel my quads from that, and my glutes a tiny bit. 2 x 10 mins at a medium pace yesterday and 1 x 10 min so far today but will do the second stint in a while. But just did my 100 squats. Was going to stop at 75 but lost count somewhere in the middle of the song so had to keep going to the end to know how many I'd achieved, har har!!! Didn't hurt until I sat on the computer chair a few seconds later ooooowwwwwwwwww!

So I can do 100, but I have a lot to improve on my technique. Going to work on that in secret and give my husband a shock :D He has laughed at my squats for the last time ;)

A good calf stretch I learned while suffering from over a decade of plantar fasciitis was to stand at a curb (dunno if a different word there in Oz...but the "lip" that transitions from sidewalk to street/walking path to roads, etc.) where there is a street light or car nearby stabilize. Facing the sidewalk part, position the balls of your feet solidly on the edge. Drop your heels as close to the ground as you can. Hold for a ten-count stretch. Then, arch up, like you're standing in super high heels (with your heels actually in the air), pressure on the ball of your feet, as high as you can go, ten-count stretch. Do these in sets of three before and after any walking, upon rising, and before bed - as well as any time you feel tension building in them. You can do these exercises anywhere you can get a 6" or so height to drop your heels lower.

Usually it is the tendons connecting the calves to the heel and the calves to the hamstrings that are shortened and overstressed, not the muscles themselves - and this particular stretch when the rest of the body is held in a straight, neutral position works all of that. It may cause discomfort at first, but the stretching will "hurt so good" afterward.

If you don't have easy access to curbs, the lunge type stretch with one foot behind and one directly under you, like a combo of a lunge/squat with the tension held on the back leg, followed by the toe-ups can also help...
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    I get plantar fasciitis too. Yup, kerb - same word different spelling, as usual ;) All understood and I will do that. Thank you Carly!
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am doing a freebie 30 day squat challenge from Google Play and Runtastic's squat workout. Runtastic has fewer, i just count those towards my number that i do for the challenge. Sadly, gotta use the handicapped restroom so i'll have a handrail so i can pee. :'( *sigh* I'm on day 3 of the 30 day challenge and hope i can stick with it. I never have before. I love checking stuff off though and the app has check boxes...lol.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Btw, cortizone shots in your heels are pure hell... Try to avoid at any cost. Pain was so bad I almost passed out... Helped after the fact, sort of, but I was still around 300 whatever pounds at that point, so the pain came back eventually. Haven't had flare ups with them in a year or two, mostly due to stretching like help, losing weight, reducing inflammation, all that jazz. LOL
  • mebeep
    mebeep Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think I'll join, it's the 15 th now so what number are you girls on?
  • nikoba
    Options
    I think 30 (at least that's where I'm at)
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I did 16 on Wed, aiming for 24 tonight!
  • samko1976
    Options
    Okay back to it. Did my 30 for the day! I do feel it's making a difference in conjunction with my normal exercise routine.
  • spunkyabroad
    spunkyabroad Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Day 5 for me!
  • nikoba
    Options
    I forgot how many I was supposed to do today...so I did 35. I feel like I'm slowly starting to dip deeper. I've decided I'm going to add bridges daily too...gotta combat office butt!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    I've been doing a fair bit of rowing on our new machine, and then climbed 8 floors of stairs yesterday. My quads were getting like jelly by the 4th floor, but I saw it through. Just wish there were some stairs available to me on a regular basis, but the nearest ones are an hour's walk away. Or 7-10 mins drive and then paid parking.
  • samko1976
    Options
    samko1976 wrote: »
    I'd set the 'ping pong song' going and if you keep in time with that it's exactly 100 until the song ends LOL
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=rh4Tos_eo5A

Cool only 10 today but will be useful in 27 days. :smile:

Thanks @GrannyMayOz! I used the Pingpong song to do my 35 today. I'm nicely out of breath :smile: I can really see the benefits of the squating especially when doing my Taebo
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I think I found a muscle! Lol. Been doing the plié squat & am sure my inner thighs might have muscles. Still not feeling anything in my butt, tho. 30 is my max at one time, then I have to break them up into a couple of sets.
  • samko1976
    Options
    Congrats on finding the muscle @Sk8Kate! Did my 40 today! :smile:
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    That's awesome @samko 40 is fantastic and well on your way! I love to use the song because it keeps you at a regular pace instead of slowing down, and takes your mind off it a bit too LOL

Ha ha @Kate that's great news! I find it hard to make my butt feel anything too. 'They' say that lunges are best for butts, but I don't feel stable doing lunges, and hubby says my butt has always been tight. Even I (my own worst critic) can see that it's tighter than many women half my age, or even a lot smaller than me. So that's great inspiration to keep on with the exercises.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Lunges I can't do. My knee just won't let me. Hopefully squats will be enough. Had to tell DIL to be to quit doing squats or her mermaid wedding dress might not fit her butt (she was trying to make it more developed).