April/May Starters

Options
nmbron6891
nmbron6891 Posts: 1 Member
I just started yesterday! I'm so excited!! Anyone have good recipes for veggies? I'm just getting the from the can right now.

Replies

• Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Veggies are my bane! lol I restarted on April 27 and have still yet to eat all my veggies in a day! grrrrr I will get this down one day! lol

Hope you have a good day!
  • dia_shewolf
    dia_shewolf Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    all depends on what you like... roasting them in the oven gives them a different flavor, steaming makes them crisper than from the can. i prefer different ways depending on the veggie... asparagus and broccoli i prefer steamed, green beans and carrot from the can, cauliflower and carrots are good roasted too :)

spices and seasonings are your friend. mrs dash has a bunch that are salt free if that's a concern :) i know that may not be much help i'm not big on actual recipes for my veggies i just keep trying different spices and blends to change things up :)

good luck and welcome aboard to both of you :)

~kel

weight.png

exercise.png

vn2jvb.pngCQTRRw
    1416528000_15_1_USD_3_default.png
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm lazy :) I just buy the 4 serving bags of different frozen vegetables and heat them in the Microwave.

Cheers
    Roger
    t77dgejpjdz8.gif
    NutriSystem Forums & Friends

Important Links to other Groups, More to come
    NutriSystem Food Reviews

April 25, 2015 -157.5 Pounds Lost
    vqivar950p9y.jpg
    HxEv8k.jpg
    My Fitnesspal links
    Slower Weight loss at 50?
    Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone
    I’ve Got the Power - Mon 3/30 to Sun 5/10 - Join Anytime!
    100+ to Lose Support Group Permanent Thread(Everyone is welcome)
    Notice that the ticker only records in 1 pound increments,
    and shows my loss since I joined NutriSystem
    :)
    88672520.png
  • JustJenn16
    JustJenn16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday, so I'm a newbie too! I have been making canned green beans, but spicing them up some. I added garlic and onion powder. I also love garlicky kale! You sautee a couple cloves of garlic and then add kale and cover it and simmer for awhile. I also love baking or sautéing asparagus. Once my fast 5 is over I think i'm going to add some of the I can't believe it's not butter spray to my asparagus. I tend to just throw things together, but you can google more specific recipes!
  • RogerToo
    Options
    JustJenn16 wrote: »
    I just started yesterday, so I'm a newbie too! I have been making canned green beans, but spicing them up some. I added garlic and onion powder. I also love garlicky kale! You sautee a couple cloves of garlic and then add kale and cover it and simmer for awhile. I also love baking or sautéing asparagus. Once my fast 5 is over I think i'm going to add some of the I can't believe it's not butter spray to my asparagus. I tend to just throw things together, but you can google more specific recipes!

Hi Jenn
    ify.gif to our friendly Group.

One thing to watch out for is that canned vegetables can cause water retention. That is due to their sodium content. If You use Canned Vegetables be sure and rinse them once or twice.

Also You should be able to use a little ICBINB Spray now as I seem to remember that the label shows 0 calories. Be warned however that under federal guidelines any food item that has less than 5 calories per serving can be labeled as a Zero Calorie item. So use them carefully.

Have a Great Day
    Roger
    April 25, 2015 -158.0 Pounds Lost
    vqivar950p9y.jpg
    HxEv8k.jpgeZzyRL
    My Fitnesspal links
    Nutrisystem Group Users
    Roger's Useful Links
    Abbreviations commonly used
    NutriSystem Food Reviews Group

Other Links
    I just visited a Ghost Town this morning
    NS Foods for sale Posts
    and shows my loss since I joined NutriSystem and not My Fitness Pal
    88672520.png
  • Terri70
    Options
    Hi y'all! Hope everyone is having a great day! Down 6 lbs since starting on 4/27. Not too shabby! Hope to lose 4 lbs in the next 2 weeks (I only weigh in every other Tuesday).

Being on a diet is sooooo hard when you work 2 jobs. It's so hard to eat at certain times and most everything is packaged for convenience. The last time I was on NS it was easier and I had time to actually make food. Now? Not so much.

What is your tricks?
  • Nightingale2200
    Nightingale2200 Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I'm down 17 pounds since starting mid-April. Walking about 3 miles/day. Feels SOOO much better.

88492762.png
  • balm1982
    balm1982 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Well I'm originally an April starter. Did really well in April on my first box, lost 17lbs. BUT then my second box didn't come. I don't have a walmart near by. So I couldn't just go get the 5 day boxes while I waited. Then I got an email that my box had been returned. No idea why. So I kind of gave upish. I tried to eat well, and really I haven't done too bad. I did gain a bit back since May 1st. So I'm down 15lbs instead of 17. I tried to do it on my own, but knew I do better with a program. At least I know I need to be on a program until I'm at least 50% of my weight down. Needless to say I felt like giving up. BUT went to the mail on Friday, and what was there???? My next order!!!! Yeah!!! I though maybe it was only half there and one box got returned. But nope all there! So it's all set in my cupboards again. ALSO my 10lbs little red bear was in there :smile: So happy! It's definitely been a motivater to restart. I don't want to go back to the 15lbs I was before and I want to keep it going! 15 down and 90 more to go! Been refocusing this weekend to restart. So tomorrow, I will restart and refocus! I have one day this week I'm traveling, so I know that day will be hard, might teeter off the wagon a bit, but I'm going to do my best to stay on it :smiley:

Going to also try and post on here more and be involved in the community. It helps so much more!
  • Nightingale2200
    Options
    So glad you got your food, balm1982. I know that was frustrating.

You have done wonderful!

I love my bear, too. Sitting on the mantel far far away from my puppy dog who thought it was a chew toy when it arrived. LOL!
  • Terri70
    Options
    Good job, balm! You've got the right mindset.

Been off and on this last week. Having trouble getting everything in. Trying to find as many shortcuts as I can but still be on plan. Gotta get better at this.

Went for bloodwork on Tuesday so should be getting the results back soon. Kinda curious as to where my A1C levels are. 6 months ago I was 110 which is pre diabetic. We'll see soon.

Have a good night!
  • balm1982
    balm1982 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So glad you got your food, balm1982. I know that was frustrating.

You have done wonderful!

I love my bear, too. Sitting on the mantel far far away from my puppy dog who thought it was a chew toy when it arrived. LOL!

lol, I had 3 dogs eyeing it when I opened the box. So mine also is sitting far away from them too!

Terri70 wrote: »

Been off and on this last week. Having trouble getting everything in. Trying to find as many shortcuts as I can but still be on plan. Gotta get better at this.

Went for bloodwork on Tuesday so should be getting the results back soon. Kinda curious as to where my A1C levels are. 6 months ago I was 110 which is pre diabetic. We'll see soon.

Have a good night!

Terri, I hope you get good news! It'd be great to see that number come down!
  • Nightingale2200
    Options
    Yes, Terri, I hope you get a good report, too.

My FBS and randoms have drastically improved. Go for A1C soon.
  • RogerToo
    Options

Have a good night!

Hi Terri
    110 FBS?
    My A1C And FBS went from just under Diabetic to Normal under the NutriSystem Diet. The high end but still better, Now the doctor is no longer muttering any higher and You will have to go on medications.

Good Luck with Both
    Roger
    vqivar950p9y.jpg
    HxEv8k.jpgeZzyRL
    My Fitnesspal links
    Nutrisystem Group Users
    Roger's Useful Links
    Abbreviations commonly used[
    NutriSystem Food Reviews Group

Other Links
    I just visited a Ghost Town this morning
    NS Foods for sale Posts
    and shows my loss since I joined NutriSystem and not My Fitness Pal
    88672520.png
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I just started yesterday and need some support. I've had a few slip ups- bourbon yesterday (we were out seeing The Who. It won't happen again anytime soon). And two saltine crackers today (I was so hungry). I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some results.
    I love hearing about how this has helped with you medically:)
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I just started yesterday and need some support. I've had a few slip ups- bourbon yesterday (we were out seeing The Who. It won't happen again anytime soon). And two saltine crackers today (I was so hungry). I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some results.
  • Nightingale2200
    Options
    Hello, lynnie. I just wanted to tell you hi and welcome you.

One thing I finally figured out is I MUST drink all the water recommended. And, eat at least 6 times/day. The first week, I stuck to the NS plan religiously and had great results. The 2nd week I thought I could add things that I wanted. That backfired and took another 2 weeks to re-right myself. Also, get in all of your servings of veggies. I've become pretty good at preparing them and stay on the NS plan.

Another thing you have to figure out ... are you hungry or just craving? If it's the former, you will be satisfied munching on approved veggies.

Good luck. You can do it!!
  • Terri70
    Options
    Ok so I was mistaken. My BLOOD GLUCLOSE was 110 in October. It is now 97. My A1C is 5.4 ?? Is that good? The nurse said so but is that prediabetic or not at all? I'm clueless on these things.

Thanks in advance.
  • Nightingale2200
    Options
    That figure does look good, Terri.

You need to speak with your healthcare provider about your health issues including how to interpret the A1C and your Blood Sugars. Also, talk to him/her about your NS plan of eating and get his/her advice on how this impacts your health. I did. I went over everything with my provider and she approved of my doing NS. I am Diabetic.

You might find this thread helpful, too. We have a Diabetic Chat group in this forum where we get together and discuss things related to our Diabetes: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10145220/diabetic-chat-group-april-2015/p1

Not saying you are pre-Diabetic or are actually a Diabetic (cannot give out medical advice) ... just that you might benefit since it is a concern for you. Come on over ...
  • RogerToo
    Options
    lynnie30 wrote: »

Hi Lynnie
    The NutriSystem Plan and the weight loss that goes along with it have helped me in the following ways.
    1. Lower Blood Pressure, Normal Now.
    2. Better Blood Sugar levels. Was just below the level of needing Medicines pre NutriSystem.
    3. 3. Better A1C, Ditto.
    4. More Energy, I can now get around OK.
    5. Better Cholesterol readings.
    6. Back pain has cleared up.

Not medical related.
    I can buy clothes at Walmart for example now. There are other things but those are a start for You.

Good Luck
    Roger
    Ok so I was mistaken. My BLOOD GLUCLOSE was 110 in October. It is now
    104. My A1C is 5.4 ?? Is that good? The nurse said so but is that prediabetic or not at all? I'm clueless on these things.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Terri
    I was happy to get the A1C down to 5.4 if that helps You. You might have been Pre-Diabetic before. Without knowing the readings? As Nightingale2 said, drop on by that message thread.

There is way to many sugars in the normal(!!) diet. The NutriSystem diet helps with that.

Good Luck
    Rogee
  • Terri70
    Options
    Thank you all. Now I just need to figure out why my toes are numb all the time. Went and had a pedicure last night and when I went to put my feet in the water I about died. The water hurt my feet because it was too hot on my numb toes. Doesn't do that in the shower. But then again I don't take a super hot shower. This all just started about 2 or 3 months ago. And dumby me forgot to mention it to the doctor when I was just there. Will probably go to my podiatrist. I figure he would know more than a general family doctor.

Today is going well. I have a 12:30 appt with a dietician to go over everything so I'm pretty stoked.

Have a great day everyone!