STEAK TAGLIATA (Frozen)

Options
CanyonDweller
CanyonDweller Posts: 129 Member
Tried this for the first time last night. To start with, my micro is 1200 watts and the meal ended up cooked to much. I did dial back on the wattage, but not enough apparently or the instructions have you cook it too long. Part of the meat was nice and tender and part was like jerky. Thankfully, I love jerky. LOL! The couscous was way over-cooked too and not a real pleasent texture. All of that being said, I look forward to cooking it again (received 3). The flavor was great and the meat (that was not jerky) was very tender. I'm sure all of my complaints are due to piolt error with the micro.

I would like to applaud NS for coming up with a dinner meal that is lower in carbs and has more veg. Pumping up the fiber to balance the carbs is a win/win in my book.

Replies

• JennJayBee
    JennJayBee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Question... A lot of us that tried this dish when NS had it before noticed a lot of fat and gristle in the meat. I'm just wondering if you noticed anything like that. I'm hoping they've fixed the issue since bringing it back.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi Linda Kay
    I had the same problem with the Frozen Chicken Parmesan dinner and have had to cut back on the time for it too. I think with the other four new frozen dinners I have on the upcoming order that I will just dial back the time and feel the bottom to see if they are heated OK.

Cheers
    Roger
    t77dgejpjdz8.gif
    NutriSystem Forums & Friends

Important Links to other Groups, More to come
    NutriSystem Food Reviews

April 25, 2015 -157.5 Pounds Lost
    vqivar950p9y.jpg
    HxEv8k.jpg
    My Fitnesspal links
    Slower Weight loss at 50?
    Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone
    I’ve Got the Power - Mon 3/30 to Sun 5/10 - Join Anytime!
    100+ to Lose Support Group Permanent Thread(Everyone is welcome)
    Notice that the ticker only records in 1 pound increments,
    and shows my loss since I joined NutriSystem
    :)
    88672520.png
    [/quote]
  • CanyonDweller
    Options
    I didn't have any fat or gristle in my dinner and I never had the old version so I can't really compare them. RogerToo that is good advice on the cooking time. I had to learn to adjust temp and time on all the other frozen/micro issues in the past.
  • WestgalCA
    WestgalCA Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think the steak part of this meal is much improved over the old version, but I don't care the rest of it. The spinach seems to give a bitter taste to the couscous. I ordered four of these and have eaten two so far. I'm trying to think of how the bitterness might be fixed. ?
  • CanyonDweller
    Options
    You might try a few drops of rice vinegar to tone down the spinach.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    I think the steak part of this meal is much improved over the old version, but I don't care the rest of it. The spinach seems to give a bitter taste to the couscous. I ordered four of these and have eaten two so far. I'm trying to think of how the bitterness might be fixed. ?

Hi
    I do not have these yet, However I have found that a Limited Extra worth of Low Fat Mozzarella works to tone down many things. If You do not have the cheese You could try a little No Fat Milk. I do suggest putting a little on a plate to experiment with just in case You really hate the change.

I have two of these on my upcoming order for next week so I hope they are OK to my taste.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    April 25, 2015 -159.7 Pounds Lost
    vqivar950p9y.jpg
    HxEv8k.jpgeZzyRL
    My Fitnesspal links
    Nutrisystem Group Users
    Roger's Useful Links
    Abbreviations commonly used
    NutriSystem Food Reviews Group

Other Links
    I just visited a Ghost Town this morning
    NS Foods for sale Posts
    and shows my loss since I joined NutriSystem and not My Fitness Pal
    88672520.png
  • WestgalCA
    Options
    You might try a few drops of rice vinegar to tone down the spinach.

I tried it with the rice vinegar last night, and it didn't take away the bitterness. :( I still ate it, of course, but it wasn't at all enjoyable.

• WestgalCA
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »

Hi
    I do not have these yet, However I have found that a Limited Extra worth of Low Fat Mozzarella works to tone down many things. If You do not have the cheese You could try a little No Fat Milk. I do suggest putting a little on a plate to experiment with just in case You really hate the change.

I have two of these on my upcoming order for next week so I hope they are OK to my taste.

Have a Good Day
    Roger

I still have two of these in the freezer, so I'll try the mozzarella next. I have a bag of it, shredded and low fat, in the fridge and really hope it helps.

The meat in this dinner is a lot better than it was when it was a Chef's Table entrée. There is more, and it isn't tough and full of gristle like it used to be. The meat flavor is very good, IMO. If they just left out the spinach... ;)

• RogerToo
    Options
    I still have two of these in the freezer, so I'll try the mozzarella next. I have a bag of it, shredded and low fat, in the fridge and really hope it helps.

The meat in this dinner is a lot better than it was when it was a Chef's Table entrée. There is more, and it isn't tough and full of gristle like it used to be. The meat flavor is very good, IMO. If they just left out the spinach... ;)

Hi
    That sounds like the old saying, win some lose some all in one dish!

I think I am going to let my order process on Thursday. I will check it again before 6PM, just in case they added more new meals.

Have a Good Week
    Roger
    Important Links to other Groups, More to come
    NutriSystem Food Reviews

vqivar950p9y.jpg
    HxEv8k.jpg
    My Fitnesspal links
    Slower Weight loss at 50?
    Early Risers - Eastern Time Zone
    I’ve Got the Power - Mon 3/30 to Sun 5/10 - Join Anytime!
    and shows my loss since I joined NutriSystem
    88672520.png
  • mslesam
    mslesam Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had my first one of these a few nights ago and I love it. I didn't find it bitter, but I love cooked spinach.
  • RogerToo
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi
    I will be reordering this one, I had one last night. My rating is a 4+ out of 5. I had reduced the cooking time by 30 seconds and I have a suspicion I need to reduce it further.

The taste was good, In some ways the CousCous reminded me of Thanksgiving stuffing. The meat was a little chewy and my suspicion is that I was heating it to long as that was the look it had. IMO this version is a keeper :) And the Calorie count at 220 is good too. :)

Cheers
    Roger
  • CanyonDweller
    Options
    I'm experimenting to see if lowering the temp and extending the cooking time for a more low and slow heat will help the meat. My micro has 10 heat setting,s so I have some play room there.
  • mrs17alvarez
    mrs17alvarez Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm mixed on this one. The meat and little tiny bit of sauce was quite tasty (and the meat not at all gristley like it used to be), but the "side" dish was not so great. It was almost like too many flavors were going on there and the end result wasn't pleasant. I may get one more in my next AD to give it one more try...maybe. :)
  • schle009
    schle009 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm not huge on this. I'm not a big fan of beef/steak as it is...that part of it was okay. The couscous to me tasted like stuffing, and I don't like stuffing. There was an odd taste about it too, so I couldn't finish it.