What happens if...

Options
SlimBride2Be
SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
All those with long term experience of these things... What happens if you go over your cals on low carb? Do you continue to lose? I haven't done so far, but I'm curious as to whether the low carbers can have a bit more flexibility without stalling/gaining than the CICO crew? A lot of low carb plans (e.g Whole 30) don't count cals at all and people lose well on them - I know if I wasn't counting but just eating good foods I would eat quite a bit more than I am now.

Thoughts welcomed!

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The rationale for not counting calories is that low-carb can reduce your hunger, and you'll naturally eat less. But it's not guaranteed, and it's still possible to gain weight even on low carb.

Of course, if your hunger is under control, then you'll be fine if you go over one day. You'll tend to eat less the next day if you do. Just make sure you're in tune with your hunger and cravings before you start eating ad lib.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to my calories. Some days I eat all day and some days I eat barely anything. I just eat when I'm hungry. I think everyone is different and you have to figure out what works best for you.
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I lost about thirty pounds last year on low carb without counting calories. Very slow losses. My rate increased when I started tracking.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a self-regulation mechanism built into a diet providing adequate fat & nutrition. A lot of people start out thinking they'll eat half a cow everyday if they don't track, and many do for a few days, and then their body suddenly realizes that they don't need to eat that much every single day if they're getting it constantly. If you're willing to do some hunting, look for the threads from the April challenge. They hid their calories to see what would happen.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    CICO still counts... if you eat more calories than you burn you will gain... Guaranteed. That being said LCHF crushes my hunger. So I found that as long as I stick below 5 carbs per day I dont need to count calories. I eat until I am full.
    Just remember this is my experience YMMV...
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It's more complicated than just simply counting what you eat and making sure you don't go over a number. Most importantly, the calories-out side of the equation is dynamic, unpredictable, and is often changed by the calories-in side. If you're eating an amount that causes your weight to stay the same (CI = CO), then you would assume that eating less would mean you start losing weight. This is not necessarily true, especially when your body's metabolism is functioning correctly. To some degree, when you lower CI, CO can (and will) also lower to compensate. Likewise, if you were balanced and added extra calories every day, you won't necessarily start gaining weight. Your calories-out will rise to make up for it.

Calories doesn't really tell you much useful. Scale trends and scale averages are a little more useful. If you're losing weight, you're eating fewer calories than you are burning. If you're gaining weight, you're eating more calories than you are burning. How much fewer? How much more? It's impossible to be sure. Will dropping 500 calories off your current amount cause you to lose an extra pound each week? It's impossible to be sure. Will adding 500 calories to your current amount, slow your loss or cause you to gain by a pound a week? Again, only experience will tell you for sure.

My experience is that eating extra, and I mean a lot extra, can cause me to stop losing weight. If I really push myself to eat a lot, it can cause some gain. But, not as much as I would predict. Eating as much as I want causes me to lose fairly steadily (slower now than I am so close to my goal). Eating less than I would otherwise want will speed things up, but not as much as you would predict. I might lower my calories 500/day, but it usually won't represent an extra pound a week. It might be a quarter pound or a half pound a week. The real difference is the amount of misery I am in, eating fewer calories than my body desires.

Here is a pretty good self-experiment a guy did about trying to gain weight on a low-carb and high-fat diet. In the end, he did gain weight, but not nearly as much as predicted. When he later did it was high-carb and low-fat (same calories), he does end up gaining. http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-didnt-get-fat/
  • spunkyabroad
    spunkyabroad Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I can't find it now, but there was a study that showed that people eating a low carb high fat diet actually burn more calories than someone eating a SAD. I haven't noticed a difference in counting calories or not. I've lost weight at about the same rate. Again, everyone is different, but I think the best part of eating this way is that I can actually trust my hunger signals now. When I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not hungry, I don't. Even if that means skipping a meal. My hunger varies day to day, but tends to average out over each week without me trying. I find it almost impossible to overeat on this way of eating. Before, I could have eaten dinner and still felt hungry a couple hours later and reach for the cookies.

According to the calories I average, if CICO was as simple as most believe I'd have lost much less weight than I have in the last 11 months. I think it's just a much more complicated process that we don't yet fully understand.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    There are lots of theories about how this stuff works, but when they put people under controlled conditions and measure stuff like thermogenesis and exhaust gasses, they find it's mostly about calories. People lose about the same amount of weight on low-fat diets as on low-carb diets, for example, if they consume the same amount of calories. But they find that people on low-carb diets spontaneously consume less.

There is a proven thermogenic effect due to protein consumption. There is also a hypothetical thermogenic effect due to ketosis, but it has not yet been oberved in a controlled environment.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have a hard time MEETING my daily numbers, and often have to cram in a fatty drink shake at the end of the day. For a few days, I experimented with going over because I was recovering from some...well, stress and stuff. I only went up like a lb or two, but I'd already fluctuated upwards by a lb while eating under. Today I'm back down again and have a lot of the stress under control and focused.

-T.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins about 3 years ago...never counted calories, just carbs...stayed between 20-30 net carbs daily and lost about 30lbs in 6 months. I fell off the wagon, gained everything back and then some and just started LC again and using MFP for the first time...I'm watching both my calories and my carbs, but I'm realizing that I ebb and flow. I'm only 3 weeks in, but I'm down 10lbs total...some days I've gone over both calories & carbs and other days I'm below. I figure overall I'm eating healthier and feeling better and have steadily been losing, so I'm happy...even if it's slower.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    There seems to be a self-regulation mechanism built into a diet providing adequate fat & nutrition. A lot of people start out thinking they'll eat half a cow everyday if they don't track, and many do for a few days, and then their body suddenly realizes that they don't need to eat that much every single day if they're getting it constantly. If you're willing to do some hunting, look for the threads from the April challenge. They hid their calories to see what would happen.

This is not the case for some of us. I have a broken "satiated" switch. I did an experiment where I kept my carbs under 20g a day for a month but didn't count calories and I gained 4.5kg (about 10lbs). Even now, I'm well into Keto, but I'm sitting here counting the minutes til lunchtime because I'm starving. Or so I think. Maybe I'm not, who knows. Yesterday I had bacon and eggs for lunch ( bpc in the morning) plenty of calories but by 3pm I was counting the minutes til dinner time because I felt I was starving. I will NEVER naturally eat the amount of calories I need to to lose weight.

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    That's how we can see, through posting on this forum, that we are all different! We all must find OUR sweet spot and what WORKS FOR US!
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Well darn it, I think my sweet spot got lost! I'm still waiting for it to get here.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I must have found your sweet spot and just added it to mine.
    If I don't track calories I find myself only eating 800-1000 after a time. No way is that good for me.

I will add, that situation primarily occurs when I am keeping a very tight rein on my protein along with the carbs. So if I want to strictly eat only 80 g of protein a day, that makes for very small serves of food, especially if I'm having a "half protein snack" in there too. I end up with 20g per meal and 10g per snack
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I haven't been counting calories in the past few weeks and I'm still showing losses, though they're slow losses. For years I didn't see any losses so I'm happy with slow. I keep carbs limited to veggies, a little dairy, and the occasional strawberry. On holidays I'll let myself have "bad" carbs but it's right back to low carb the next day.