Low Carb Ice Cream - Help!

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
So it's almost summer up here. We live through a hell-ish winter and part of the summer fun is going to the ice cream stand. We only go a couple of times a summer. We stopped on our way home the other night and I got nothing because I'm pretty sure nothing will work very well for me. Not only because of low carb/keto, but because I seem to not feel well after eating large amounts of sugar.

So now I'm really sad because I won't be able to enjoy that once in a while.

Does anyone know if there is something that could work, so I don't have to sit there with nothing while everyone else has delicious ice cream?

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Caveman keto icecream, I made for my daughter's birthday. It was mint choc chip. Not bad and dead easy!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I'll look up how to make that, I do have an ice cream maker so I should be able to figure something out. I just kinda miss going to the ice cream stand :(
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I believe that walmart carries low carb icecream bars...at least they used to a few years ago.
  • BookAngel_a
    BookAngel_a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    nikoba wrote: »
    I believe that walmart carries low carb icecream bars...at least they used to a few years ago.

I believe they are called Carb Smart...by Breyers I think?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Enlightened ice cream bars and sandswhices . :) It is in some stores around here.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Carb Smart vanilla ice cream with some Walden Farm's pancake syrup drizzled on it is amazing! There are 4g of carbs/sugar per half cup serving so for me it is a special once in awhile treat, but it is really good.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Last summer, the kids and I "made" ice cream with frozen berries, a dash of a sweetner, and HWC. Mixed in a blender, the frozen berries "freeze" the cream.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I like the Breyers Carb Smart Fudge Bars. Tastes kind of like a frozen chocolate mousse.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=960105

Something like that is really easy, you can do different flavors, cocoa powder, a little fruit, nuts, etc. I think you can mix a little water and less heavy cream if you want it to be less calorie dense as well.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I used to whip coconut cream then freeze it... no sugar/sweeteners needed.
    Depending on how cold your freezer gets, you may need to set it out on the counter and wait for 5 minutes before serving.
    This is always the hardest part.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Bacon ice cream is the 'new' thing, apparently. And I've been meaning to try avocado ice cream. I haven't been able to find a recipe for either that doesn't contain maple syrup or honey, but I suppose you could just leave those ingredients out.
  • bikerchick2012
    bikerchick2012 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What about Greek yogurt and berries blended and frozen ????
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Bacon ice cream is the 'new' thing, apparently.

What is this magic you speak of???
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there is avocado icecream but I've made avocado smoothies and put in in ice trays to freeze, more like avocado fat bombs, though not a big fan but others seems to like it. You can google for the smoothies recipe. I have Breyers Carb smart vanilla and use it in protein milk shakes
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I tried making the avocado pudding into ice cream, it was disgusting, I actually threw out the whole container I made it in because I didn't want to look at it again. I think it was so bad because I used liquid stevia which has a very metallic taste in high doses. I will not try making that again.

We have an ice cream factory 1/4 mile down the rd. from my house, I grew up on that stuff, they used to make a low carb one but I think that ended years ago as the trend kind of leveled out from the initial low carb spike. Now its all gluten free. funny how things change over the years. I really wish they would start making the low carb one again :(

I have some yasso greek yogurt bars which are delicious but last time I had one my stomach was really upset the next day, I can only assume its from all the sugar so I don't think i'll be trying one of those again
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    Bacon ice cream is the 'new' thing, apparently.

What is this magic you speak of???

Yeah, it sounds promising but all the recipes I can find include a *lot* of maple syrup. False promise I think!
  • DeannaSofia886
    DeannaSofia886 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Heavy whipping cream and a box of sugar free jello pudding in the blender tastes exactly like soft serve ice cream!
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the whole thread but I asked this on my news feed a couple days ago and got an awesome suggestion. Take 1/2 cup heavy cream and blend with 1/2 cup frozen berries and a packet of stevia. It tastes amazing and only a few carbs. :)
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Baskin Robbins used to have an avocado icecream with a mango swirl. I ate there so many times while they were running that flavour...
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make ice cream. Lactose free heavy cream, vanilla, sweetener. Heat slowly, add in chosen flavor...raspberries, caffeine free coffee etc. Add 1-2 eggyokes. Stir in low heat for a minute or so. Chill mixture in fridge, then use in ice cream machine, unless you have the expensive versions that can churn from hot.

Best made fresh. It gets pretty dense since no gluten or antifreeze, which commercial producers often use to keep ice cream softer.