prednisone.

Options
gemberly
gemberly Posts: 67 Member
Starting on 13 days of prednisone. I know this can raise blood sugar levels and probably make me retain water. But I have some upper respiratory issues that need to be addressed. I'm also weight training (new last 2 weeks) so my loss has somewhat stalled. Any other thoughts? Any water weight should go away quickly after. No?

Replies

• JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Stick to plan as best you can. It might increase your appetite, but the last time I was on it, I got through w/ no damage by sticking to plan & ignoring cravings. You might get crabby in the process, steroids are notorious for that as well. I didn't really notice any water retention any worse than certain times of the month, it may take a little longer to lose the water while the meds are still in your system even though you'll be done taking them. Just power through & don't give in, you'll be fine. It's all temporary.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    There is a lady in the Low Carbers Daily group, if you didn't cross post, who is on chronic prednisone, as well as someone who had to get on it to clear up respiratory stuff, so they may have better info. I don't always get a lot of the side effects of meds like this, so I don't have any personal experience, except it raised my body temp.
  • gemberly
    gemberly Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to taper off of it. And I just kept on the plan and working out. Even when. I was drinking lots of fluids I felt super dry, though!
  • JMOON0923
    JMOON0923 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a chronic prednisone user (11mg qd). I cannot go above 15 grams of carbs, or if my blood glucose hits into the 120's. The hunger will sneak in. I eat pure fat at that time. Its usually in the 70-100 range, but an allergic response can elevate it. Good luck with titration, and feel better soon!