What do you do on those days when you reaaally want to cheat?

Options
annalisbeth74
annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
I have those days at least once a week where I just really want off the wagon. Usually work-related stress, and the old me would've stopped by the store on the way home and made a big batch of nachos to binge on the rest of the night. Well, either that or stop by the liquor store for a bottle of wine, half of which would be gone by bedtime. What do you guys do on those nights when you feel the carbs calling and you don't want to give in?

I've started walking to the Fresh Market 2 blocks from my house and picking up something from the butcher there for dinner instead.

Replies

• tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    well. I drink the wine anyway :) 2-3 carbs in a glass of wine (2.5 in red, 1.8 in white). If your carb goal is 30-50 net carbs, you can EASILY sneak that in, if you are feeling you need something, I have a HUGE glass of wine Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

My weight loss is ok, it started off quick of course. now it's just a little over 1 pound a week, sometimes 1.5 (but my scale only moves once a month, seriously, it will show the same weight for a month, then suddenly drop 5-6 pounds) I have lost about 16 kilos (a little over 35 pounds) since March 8th (yeah, it says 20kg, but I had a faulty scale the first week, so I don't count those 4 kilos).

Wine and pork rinds. Then I feel happy and feel like I am eating chips. High fat content on the pork rinds, because I have a hard time getting in 65% fat.

Make pork rind nachos :)
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds and guacomole are my new obsession
  • GlitzArmstrong
    GlitzArmstrong Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned pepperoni chips in another post. .. I love them! Just micro till crispy♡ for the cruchy craving.
    I did have a tiny cheat the other day. At work I was serving coffee cake and I put a crumb in my mouth ( it was so good) I had to go eat some turkey to get the task out of my mouth.
    when I get a big craving I look up the nutritional value on my phone and that helps me not want to eat it.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Have these low carb suggestions available and it makes the urge easier to handle.
  • annalisbeth74
    Options
    Pork rind nachos... See, this is why I love you guys! I have all these avocados on the verge of going bad. Know what I'm doing with them now!

And I didn't know that about wine. I can definitely find a way to fit that in! Maybe not half a bottle, but a glass here and there should be OK.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    At Nerd Fitness they say to change your mind set. Instead of looking at it as cheating look at it as making a mindful decision to eat something you enjoy that will help you stay on track. I try to limit this to things I truly enjoy, homemade Italian wedding cake once or twice a year rather than store bought sheet cake once a month ( or more) at work. I've found this to be easier because I feel like I'm having a real treat and it takes some of the social pressure out of the situation.
  • annalisbeth74
    Options
    @kristenlarkin - pork rinds and guacamole. Holy cow! Had that for lunch today, just because. I feel like I just found the last piece of the puzzle that'll help me do this for life.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I just had pork rind nachos for lunch. Meh.....they were crispy but tasted kinda funny
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I try not to even sniff when I open my kids m&ms after we have done homework....oh my gosh. I know i dont want them...but the smell just makes me want to be bad. Lol.

I don't want to cheat and if there are no options...i will not eat until there are. It isn't like i am starving. I could probably hibernate for a couple if months...lol
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have no desire to cheat, I can watch my family eat icecream and cookies and my brain and my nose have no reaction. I think I've lost interest in any of the sweets or carbs in general.
  • kristenlarkin
    Options
    @kristenlarkin - pork rinds and guacamole. Holy cow! Had that for lunch today, just because. I feel like I just found the last piece of the puzzle that'll help me do this for life.

Isn't it the best! I get guacamole from aldis and it is a couple cheap and delicious meals for me. I have become obsessed. Today I threw some guacamole in some chicken salad and that was also yummy
  • kristenlarkin
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Another nice little cheat is carb smart vanilla ice cream with Walden farm pancake syrup. It sounds gross but it is amazing, but an once in awhile treat. Also chocolate redi whip is great, but also not an everyday treat.
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Cavalier chocolate with stevia. It's a stretch, but it tastes good, and does my chocolate craving for 'that time otm' pork rinds and blue cheese dip (made with cream cheese, a little sour cream and blue cheese)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm with you @GSD_Mama. I can sit and watch (and have many times this month) a house full of people eat birthday cake and ice cream, and I get no triggers of desire. I do think about how much I liked certain foods, but I have no desire to go back to my old ways!@annalisbeth74, glad you've found what it will take for you to commit to this woe for life too!
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Last night I had a craving for something sweet. Usually coffee with HWC and sugar free Torani coffee syrup will do the trick but I needed a little more last night so I had an Atkins treat bar. Just the right size and cured the craving.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    At Nerd Fitness they say to change your mind set. Instead of looking at it as cheating look at it as making a mindful decision to eat something you enjoy that will help you stay on track. I try to limit this to things I truly enjoy, homemade Italian wedding cake once or twice a year rather than store bought sheet cake once a month ( or more) at work. I've found this to be easier because I feel like I'm having a real treat and it takes some of the social pressure out of the situation.
    THIS!
    Last night I made the "conscious decision" to eat my favorite Japanese sushi and Hibachi. Then I decided to indulge in a little ice cream so I can make a clean start today. I knew before going in the consequences I was facing (GI-wise) but I have been so good lately, I knew I could get back to it today. And so far, so good today. :smiley:

• SueM86
    SueM86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Timeyn you know you can go back and edit previous entries in your check in? Only if it bothers you that is.

I go and delete all my previous entries each time I come back to mfp lol! But this time it's the last time I'll need to do that because this time I'm sticking with the plan and hitting that goal!!!!! :smiley:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Eat bacon. Or 90% dark chocolate. Or chew gum. Or have a barely sweetened mug of fruity hot tea. Listen to your favorite music on blast (mine is loud angry music). Or go for a walk. Or just sit and write why you started eating this way in the first place. Put your worst picture in a journal and look at it any time you question yourself. Figure out the best way to focus, and before you know it, that "cheating" thought will be like a mosquito you just swat at and move on.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Eat something fatty. Bacon/BPC if you're ZC, a tasty fat bomb if you're VLC.

Or do something else. Cravings aren't hunger, most of the time. There are lots of things in life that make our brain happy, we've just (as a society) latched on to food because it's got the instant gratification. But don't forget the disappointment, regret, and guilt that come later. The taste of the food on your tongue will be long-gone but you'll have to live with the consequences until you can break through the carb-detox again.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    Eat something fatty. Bacon/BPC if you're ZC, a tasty fat bomb if you're VLC.

Or do something else. Cravings aren't hunger, most of the time. There are lots of things in life that make our brain happy, we've just (as a society) latched on to food because it's got the instant gratification. But don't forget the disappointment, regret, and guilt that come later. The taste of the food on your tongue will be long-gone but you'll have to live with the consequences until you can break through the carb-detox again.

I agree with this - once I start eating if I'm down it's easy not to stop. I go right to the top of the house (3 floors) and do some crafts - can't eat or drink and usually takes my mind and body right away from the cravings.

Or sometimes I just eat it - had some chocolate halva at the weekend and it was so sweet it was ridiculous (i am a person that likes sweet though) and I had to run upstairs and get my hands paint-y so i couldn't keep eating.