What age did it start for you?

Options
Christine7656
Christine7656 Posts: 24 Member
i ask because I'm turning 46 in a couple of months and my period is late this month, it's been over a week. It's never late.
I keep having very mild cramping. Other than that nothing. I'm not sure what to think or expect!
Thank you Christine

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My symptoms started with dizziness and ovulation time nausea when I was about 42. Night sweats started about a year after that before my period. I'm 50 now. Dizziness, insomnia, tension, and migraines are my primary symptoms.
    My period comes and goes these days. The last cycle was about 52 days I think. Bloodwork showed me to be officially menopausal now, so I'm figuring they'l keep being random until they stop. Hopefully soon.
  • Christine7656
    Options
    That's helpful thank you. I've had dizziness but usually during my period, likely due to anemia I was diagnosed with a few years ago which I take iron for. I have had irritability for the last few years before my period. Lately it's been kind of random though, sometimes during or before ovulation.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm about to turn 47, and no symptoms yet.

Edited to add I joined this group today just to find out the answer to this question. So thanks, @Christine7656!
  • Christine7656
    Options
    Well I hope it is perimenopause because if it's something else... Well I don't even want to go there!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and I started having irregular periods last year. I had a test a couple of months ago and my hormones are at post-menopausal levels so I am on HRT. Since I started, I have been having fairly regular periods. :neutral: I have an appointment in a couple of weeks with the gyno and I will probably have doses adjusted -- perhaps taking prog cyclically instead of continuously. I had a lot of pretty bad symptoms in a addition - constant migraine, fatigue, and sinus infections. I understand that 50 is the average age for menopause.
  • jahnaca
    jahnaca Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 49, I was as regular as a nuclear clock. The only time I was late I was pregnant until 4 years ago. I was so messed up, I would have my period every 2 weeks, then go back to normal then not have it for months. About 2 years ago I had my period once in twelve months. I have been free of the monthly curse since. Hot flashes started about 3 years ago. Depression about the same time which I chalked up to son serving overseas, again. Now it's sleep deprivation, scatter brain and I look at food and it jumps on my hips. I have never seen a doctor or been tested for anything so no clue what the official verdict is.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    At 40, perma-PMS started. Like a very tangible bad mood! That hardly seems to go away. Then night sweats and hot flashes. My cycle has actually been more regular than at any time during my life, except now I get mega cramps and very heavy bleeding about every third month. Last month I was late, so maybe I'm moving on to the next phase. I'm 47 now.
  • Christine7656
    Options
    I too started having pms symptoms at about 40, irritability mostly. I chalked it up to having my tubes tied. But maybe it was indeed perimenopause. Still haven't started my period, it will be two weeks late on Tuesday. I've been very irritable, and hot tempered lately
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I too started having pms symptoms at about 40, irritability mostly. I chalked it up to having my tubes tied. But maybe it was indeed perimenopause. Still haven't started my period, it will be two weeks late on Tuesday. I've been very irritable, and hot tempered lately

I noticed all last year that PMS started on time, and would LAST until the actual period! So PMS came on day 24, even if the period didn't come until day 50. That isn't fun.
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this, but I can't exactly remember. I had a mirena IUD put in and it stopped my periods. Hot flashes probably started in mid 40s. At 51 the gynaecologist did blood work and told me I was in menopause so he took out my IUD. Well I got my period so I guess I'm not. I had the IUD put back in. I don't want to chance getting pregnant even though that chance is rare so I will keep it in. My Mom and Grandmother both had babies late in life. No thank you. Between my BF and I we have 5 children with the last leaving home this fall. He's retired and I have 6.5 more years to go until my retirement. Oh so much fun!!!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    getup25 wrote: »
    I hate to say this, but I can't exactly remember. I had a mirena IUD put in and it stopped my periods. Hot flashes probably started in mid 40s. At 51 the gynaecologist did blood work and told me I was in menopause so he took out my IUD. Well I got my period so I guess I'm not. I had the IUD put back in. I don't want to chance getting pregnant even though that chance is rare so I will keep it in. My Mom and Grandmother both had babies late in life. No thank you. Between my BF and I we have 5 children with the last leaving home this fall. He's retired and I have 6.5 more years to go until my retirement. Oh so much fun!!!!!

I tried the mirena. It drove me nuts. We're using a good ole fashioned cervical cap until I'm sure I'm done. At 50, I can't even fathom getting pregnant now!
  • Christine7656
    Options
    Well I'm not pregnant. THANK GOD. I started this morning. So these new symptoms I've had the last couple of years must be perimenopause.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not pregnant. THANK GOD. I started this morning. So these new symptoms I've had the last couple of years must be perimenopause.

Last month I was just late enough to start to worry. I was giving it another day or two before purchasing a test. Oh the horrors! This month it seems to be early.

• TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    Having my third period since I started hormones. I tell my husband I'm a failure at menopause.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Having my third period since I started hormones. I tell my husband I'm a failure at menopause.

Heh. I tell my husband each time mine randomly re-appears that I'm SURE this one is the last. I think he doesn't believe me anymore.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    hahahaha!!! I have friends who have had one period a year for the past 5 years! When yr on HRT, things change around a lot. It sort of confuzzelates the whole thing. All I care about really is getting rid of the stupid hot flashes and just feeling okay, not forgetting everything all the time or being super tired and all that nonsense. But yeah... of all the times to get PG this is probably not the one you want. Birth control for reals. I have had a hysterectomy, but still have ovaries, so I can only go by how I feel and by blood tested hormone levels. such a mishmash of weirdness is the Pause!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    So anyway my menopausal symptoms began at 42 with hot flashes, night sweats, and memory loss.
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    tigerblue wrote: »

Last month I was just late enough to start to worry. I was giving it another day or two before purchasing a test. Oh the horrors! This month it seems to be early.

This is the reason I have the Mirena! One less thing to worry about. lol
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    I'm fine with getting pregnant. My husband is a lot younger and is a very supportive partner. We tried for a few years with no success. I just think it is really really unlikely at this point so I don't think about it much.

I feel much better on HRT, and it seems like the breakthrough bleeding has stopped, so I'm OK with having regular periods again. I was just under the impression that wasn't supposed to happen, although I was prescribed HRT based on blood tests rather than a complete absence of cycles. Does anyone take progesterone on a cycle?
  • Bikerchickmomma
    Bikerchickmomma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I started peri-menopausal symptoms when I was 40. I was getting regular bouts of night sweats, retained fluid, and was noticeably moodier. (I had a bedroom ceiling fan installed and started eating 3 oz. of tofu daily to help alleviate these.) I didn't accomplish full menopause (ceased periods completely) until I was 57-1/2 years old. Yeah, it was a long row to hoe. I did not take any hormones. I figured it was a natural step in aging so I rolled with it. The periods were erratic: longer, shorter, heavier, lighter. The tofu contains natural plant estrogen that kept my moods mellower. I noticed that if I ate "cleaner" and avoided processed foods containing loads of salt and carbs, and exercised I had less symptoms and felt better. That's still the case. The symptoms don't go away when the periods stop. (Sorry to say.) The rule seems to be if you go 12 months without a period, you have achieved the absence of the menses.