several questions if any of you have answers thanks!

Options
first off... does anyone know an inexpensive pedometer /music player that works i would like to keep up with stuff away from home.. or an offline app that helps you keep track without internet access!!??!!

i am still new to this so it seems maybe my proportioning is in excess when planning meals i have cut down alot of unhealthy foods i was eating and drinking but worried that i will not see results like i log my snacks and meals and it is more than one serving.. i try to drink water before meals to maybe in hopes to eat less i dont know if it is working...how often do you weigh yourself when trying to keep track?

i like to dance as part of my exercise routine even though i suck at it ..i also like aerobics cardio/fat burning exercises but with my bad knees due to arthritis/ and being out of shape i cannot seem to manage getting past ten min before stopping...advice please?!!!??!

Replies

• Exegi_Corpus
    Exegi_Corpus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Soundtrack is a program that records the music you play to temporary memory so you can listen online.

What is your way of losing weight, only by eating?

Cardiovascular activities (yes any), steady state cardio, fitness and due to your knees you should consult to a professional trainer to train you so you can see how to protect your joints while doing these.
  • gash14
    gash14 Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Easy, fun dance, go to youtube search for REFITREV

Even my kiddos get in on it :smiley:

As for the pedometer/music combo...haven't the slightest, sorry. Good luck!
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Runtastic has several apps you can download and use offline. They have a pedometer and a music player that are separate apps but should work together. Plus, when you do go online, you can tell it to automatically sync with MFP and log your workout.

You should weigh yourself every 1-2 weeks to not get disappointed. Make sure it's in the morning before you eat each time.

Start slowly with your knees. As you exercise and lose weight, they should get stronger and be able to do more. Try low impact exercises and lots of stretching for your knees, and focus more on areas that are already strong.

Also, have you been diagnosed with arthritis? If you aren't sure that is the cause, it would be best to talk to a doctor first. Some problems can be made worse with the wrong types of exercise.
  • TBrownCVT
    Options
    Oh, and I don't recommend drinking a lot of water before a meal. It might help you feel fuller, but it also makes it harder for your body to digest properly. If you don't absorb the nutrients you need, your body will keep telling you to eat.

Instead, drink in between meals, and try to eat fewer carbs and more protein and fat. That will help you feel more satisfied and go longer between meals.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I hope that someone can give me a few tips.
    I have no high BP, my good cholesterol is really good, the bad cholesterol is in the medium to high normal range and my triglycerides are very good.....yet I had a heat attack in the beginning of March this year and then another one on the 27th of the same month. I have all my life eaten a natural diet and for over 20 years cook all my meals, but after the heart attacks looked for ways to improve what I ate. I switched from whole eggs to egg whites also because I want to at least get close to my protein macro and egg whites help. I also was put on a 1000 calorie diet ( before anyone tells me that is to low, I would like to mention that I am going on 70 and am under 5 feet tall and for now that is ok).
    Usually my egg dishes turn out as I imagine and I have no complaints. However, since I only cook egg whites I have one failure after the other.
    I live in an underdeveloped country and many of the items that are of great utility in the US are not available here.
    For example; we only have the original Pam as spray-on oil. It is extremely expensive, since it is imported and for all kinds of reasons ( personal and environmental ) I don't want to use it. I also don't want to fry the egg whites in oil, because on doctor's orders I am on a very low fat regimen and because I cannot spend my calories on fat.
    So far I have made my eggs either as scrambled or omelette with vegetables and while they look fluffy and nice in the pan, by the time they get to the table they are deflated and slightly rubbery. I cook them with great patience on medium to low heat in a high quality Teflon coated pan but don't have enough egg white cooking experience to know what else to do, or what I am doing wrong. Of course, the eggs are edible, but since for now I am restricted in many ways ( no green vegetables, low fat, moderate protein, moderate complex carbs, no refined sugar etc ) I would like to enjoy each bite I eat.
    I don't have to eat scrambled eggs or omelettes only and would be grateful for any suggestion ( especially re: preparation ) as long as it is not a sweet dessert.

• TBrownCVT
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    I have no high BP, my good cholesterol is really good, the bad cholesterol is in the medium to high normal range and my triglycerides are very good.....yet I had a heat attack in the beginning of March this year and then another one on the 27th of the same month. I have all my life eaten a natural diet and for over 20 years cook all my meals, but after the heart attacks looked for ways to improve what I ate. I switched from whole eggs to egg whites also because I want to at least get close to my protein macro and egg whites help. I also was put on a 1000 calorie diet ( before anyone tells me that is to low, I would like to mention that I am going on 70 and am under 5 feet tall and for now that is ok).
    Usually my egg dishes turn out as I imagine and I have no complaints. However, since I only cook egg whites I have one failure after the other.
    I live in an underdeveloped country and many of the items that are of great utility in the US are not available here.
    For example; we only have the original Pam as spray-on oil. It is extremely expensive, since it is imported and for all kinds of reasons ( personal and environmental ) I don't want to use it. I also don't want to fry the egg whites in oil, because on doctor's orders I am on a very low fat regimen and because I cannot spend my calories on fat.
    So far I have made my eggs either as scrambled or omelette with vegetables and while they look fluffy and nice in the pan, by the time they get to the table they are deflated and slightly rubbery. I cook them with great patience on medium to low heat in a high quality Teflon coated pan but don't have enough egg white cooking experience to know what else to do, or what I am doing wrong. Of course, the eggs are edible, but since for now I am restricted in many ways ( no green vegetables, low fat, moderate protein, moderate complex carbs, no refined sugar etc ) I would like to enjoy each bite I eat.
    I don't have to eat scrambled eggs or omelettes only and would be grateful for any suggestion ( especially re: preparation ) as long as it is not a sweet dessert.

That's a tough one. I would never want to advise going against doctor's orders.

I'll start by saying that fish is pretty well accepted by naturopathic and western doctors alike as good for the heart.

I will mention that the yolk you're leaving out of your eggs is full of great vitamins like Vitamin B that are good for the heart. Is it possible to put one yolk in and still have mostly white? That might help the texture too.

You could try adding some milk to the eggs. That would have protein and add some creaminess, but it would also add a little fat.

Also, eating natural means different things to different people, so it's hard to know what you were eating. Omega 6 and 3 need balance. If your diet was too high in Omega 6 compared to Omega 3, that could cause heart problems. In that case, fish oils are your best bet.

I hope and pray that your health improves.
  • Ang108
    Options

[/quote]

I'll start by saying that fish is pretty well accepted by naturopathic and western doctors alike as good for the heart.

I will mention that the yolk you're leaving out of your eggs is full of great vitamins like Vitamin B that are good for the heart. Is it possible to put one yolk in and still have mostly white? That might help the texture too.

You could try adding some milk to the eggs. That would have protein and add some creaminess, but it would also add a little fat.

Also, eating natural means different things to different people, so it's hard to know what you were eating. Omega 6 and 3 need balance. If your diet was too high in Omega 6 compared to Omega 3, that could cause heart problems. In that case, fish oils are your best bet.

I hope and pray that your health improves.[/quote]

Eating natural for me means that I buy and always have bought food in their naturally occuring state and then prepare them at home. Of course I accept that grain is ground into flour, or that rice comes in a kilo bag, or honey in a jar.
    Many things apart from cooking meals, I make myself. Eg: Sauerkraut, Kimchee or other pickled vegetables. I make my own whole wheat pasta ( which for one person is not very time consuming ), I grow a lot of my own vegetables and herbs in a container garden and eat other items that are not chemically processed as for example: artesanal tofu, chicken, fish. I also eat legumes and/or pulses almost every day and one of my staple foods are corn tortillas that fortunately are freshly made here in Mexico several times a day.
    I have fortunately no high BP, no high triglycerides, my good cholesterol is very good and the bad in the the middle to high normal range and never have been even close to being pre-diabetic, even though I am over weight from lack of portion control, but have lost so far 55 pounds.
    My heart attacks were caused by damage to my heart from a hardened pericardium due to chronic pericarditis ( that I acquired by working in Humanitarian Aid through the typical working circumstances in under developed countries ) so an Omega imbalance has nothing to do with it.
    I know that there are benefits to eating egg yolks, but right now with the shock of the terrible feelings of two heart attacks within two weeks I want to chose feeling safe over feeling sorry. I am certain that there will come a point when I will re-introduce egg yolk into my diet again, but for now I feel less anxious sticking to my cardiologist's ( one of the best in the country ) suggestions.

I just wish I could cook egg whites in a way that will make their consistency more enjoyable to eat.

Thank you for your good wishes and prayers, which I truly appreciate.

• TBrownCVT
    Options

I hope and pray that your health improves.[/quote]

Eating natural for me means that I buy and always have bought food in their naturally occuring state and then prepare them at home. Of course I accept that grain is ground into flour, or that rice comes in a kilo bag, or honey in a jar.
    Many things apart from cooking meals, I make myself. Eg: Sauerkraut, Kimchee or other pickled vegetables. I make my own whole wheat pasta ( which for one person is not very time consuming ), I grow a lot of my own vegetables and herbs in a container garden and eat other items that are not chemically processed as for example: artesanal tofu, chicken, fish. I also eat legumes and/or pulses almost every day and one of my staple foods are corn tortillas that fortunately are freshly made here in Mexico several times a day.
    I have fortunately no high BP, no high triglycerides, my good cholesterol is very good and the bad in the the middle to high normal range and never have been even close to being pre-diabetic, even though I am over weight from lack of portion control, but have lost so far 55 pounds.
    My heart attacks were caused by damage to my heart from a hardened pericardium due to chronic pericarditis ( that I acquired by working in Humanitarian Aid through the typical working circumstances in under developed countries ) so an Omega imbalance has nothing to do with it.
    I know that there are benefits to eating egg yolks, but right now with the shock of the terrible feelings of two heart attacks within two weeks I want to chose feeling safe over feeling sorry. I am certain that there will come a point when I will re-introduce egg yolk into my diet again, but for now I feel less anxious sticking to my cardiologist's ( one of the best in the country ) suggestions.

I just wish I could cook egg whites in a way that will make their consistency more enjoyable to eat.

[/quote]

That makes sense. Like I said, I certainly don't recommend going against your doctor's recommendations. I still recommend Omega 3 because it is anti-inflammatory. It sounds like that would be beneficial to you.

I wish I had advice for cooking egg whites. Personally, I would try making a soup with the egg whites and chicken broth. Not sure what else you might add in.

Good luck. :smile:
  • Ang108
    Options
    TBrownCVT wrote: »

I hope and pray that your health improves.

[/quote]

That makes sense. Like I said, I certainly don't recommend going against your doctor's recommendations. I still recommend Omega 3 because it is anti-inflammatory. It sounds like that would be beneficial to you.

I wish I had advice for cooking egg whites. Personally, I would try making a soup with the egg whites and chicken broth. Not sure what else you might add in.

Good luck. :smile: [/quote]

Thanks for you reply. I am already on an anti inflammatory diet because I have active systemic Lupus as well as RA since I was a teenager and according to my doctor am doing well. This maybe due to the fact that apart from eating fresh fish twice a week, quality canned tuna once a week as well as Krill oil every day.I eat no red meat, but some kind of fowl ( mostly pastured chicken breast ) once a week, but otherwise no meat like beef and pork just a few times a year.
    I eat a very limited amount of dairy; about one ounce of conventional cheese a day ( if any at all like right now ), home made yogurt or home made ricotta. I get also a lot of protein from legumes and pulses and from eggs, now egg whites. This diet has served me well and since I eat like this for more than 30 years, I plan to continue this way with of course minor tweaks when necessary.
    You idea for soup is a good one and fits in my diet, which is mostly mediterranian/asian and having soup for breakfast is also ok.
    Thanks again and have a wonderful long weekend !
  • faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

I have this product at home and use it daily: http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Brushed-Aluminum-Olive-Sprayer/dp/B00004SPZV

You can put your own olive oil in it and it will spray like Pam. I know you don't want to cook in oil, but it would be a negligible amount. Just an idea.

Also, what about a veggie quiche or frittata to cook your eggs?
  • boopsiegrl
    boopsiegrl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    what about poached eggs they may stay a little fluffier
    also you don't have to eat breakfast food at breakfast eat chicken fish or rice just a thought
  • Ang108
    Options
    boopsiegrl wrote: »
    what about poached eggs they may stay a little fluffier
    also you don't have to eat breakfast food at breakfast eat chicken fish or rice just a thought

I never eat what is conventionally considered " breakfast food ", mostly because I don't like anything sweet. Since I eat 18:6, breakfast in the usual sense is not even an issue for me.
    But in order to get my protein in I need to eat egg whites at some point of the day. No matter what time I cook them, they come out leathery.....

• Ang108
    Options
    faithan84 wrote: »

I have this product at home and use it daily: http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Brushed-Aluminum-Olive-Sprayer/dp/B00004SPZV

You can put your own olive oil in it and it will spray like Pam. I know you don't want to cook in oil, but it would be a negligible amount. Just an idea.

Also, what about a veggie quiche or frittata to cook your eggs?

I made a frittata yesterday ( with mushrooms, zucchini, egg plant and onions ) and while the taste was excellent, the consistency was somewhat leathery. I usually buy free range eggs and now am thinking that maybe I will buy half a dozen commercial eggs and see if they turn out differently.

• Lisaml7411
    Lisaml7411 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi, Ang108. I've been seeing your posts regarding your heart attacks and Coumadin. Have the doctors actually told you no green vegetables or that you need to eat low amounts of Vitamin K? I've been working with both my mom and mother-in-law with their doctors and getting the Coumadin levels correct. My mom's doctor gave her a great pamphlet that had the Vit K levels of food listed and then told her not to exceed a certain level for her. While there are many green vegetables that are too high for her, she is able to find many that fall into her acceptable range. Makes life much easier!

I'm not a doctor and would never presume to counter your doctors advice. Just a thought for you to check with them.
  • Ang108
    Options
    Lisaml7411 wrote: »
    Hi, Ang108. I've been seeing your posts regarding your heart attacks and Coumadin. Have the doctors actually told you no green vegetables or that you need to eat low amounts of Vitamin K? I've been working with both my mom and mother-in-law with their doctors and getting the Coumadin levels correct. My mom's doctor gave her a great pamphlet that had the Vit K levels of food listed and then told her not to exceed a certain level for her. While there are many green vegetables that are too high for her, she is able to find many that fall into her acceptable range. Makes life much easier!

I'm not a doctor and would never presume to counter your doctors advice. Just a thought for you to check with them.

Doctors have told me. I would never make such a decision on my own based on no knowledge of heart
    health at all. I apologize that initially I did not go into too much detail. Since I just wanted to know how to cook egg whites in a more appetizing way I did not think it was all that necessary.
    So, here it goes...:o).
    Three doctors in the hospital, as well as my own cardiologist told me to not eat green leafy vegetables. Also, if you check out any website of either Coumadin and/or Warfarin you will read the same. I think I also mentioned that it is for the moment green leafy vegetables ( spinach, chard, lettuces etc ) only, because of their unstable amounts of oxilates, that keep Coumadin from working correctly. I take 10mg, which is a very high dose and I cannot afford that some of it is rendered inactive by some vegetables. With lower doses the danger is not as high.
    The team of cardiologists also told me to not compare the heart attacks and meds of other people with mine, because each case is different and might require a different treatment. In my second attack I had a cardiac arrest, which according to the doctors makes some of my meds life sustaining during the recovery period, while the same meds for others might be health sustaining, which while equally important is not quite the same.
    Also, I had two heart attacks , which makes the need to follow certain dietary restrictions to the " T " really important. It is difficult enough for the heart to recover from one attack, let alone from two.
    My INR ( coagulation levels ) have been fine ( I am at 2.4 and 2.5 would be perfect ) so far and as long as I am not 100% out of the recovery phase ( I am on day 62 today ) I am not going to risk anything .
    Also, due to the damage to the heart and the damaged pericardium ( which caused the heart attacks in the first place ) I have developed irreversible Angina Pectoris, another factor that for now makes me want to stick to my doctor's orders. Unfortunately I am still in the typical " unstable Angina Pectoris " phase that causes different blood results and requires a whole group of meds other than those for the heart attacks. I am fairly certain that once I get to what is called " stable Angina Pectoris " and then will get the planned pace maker, I will be once again able to eat at least some of the green leafy veggies.
  • niteowl24
    niteowl24 Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What about hard boiled or poached eggs?
    Then there is no frying and you can just not eat the yolk.

I have made scramble eggs using muffin tins for my husband. I greased the inside of the tin, and poured about 6 scrambled eggs plus some added veggies like peppers or something like that (eggs are forgiving, you can add all sorts of different things) and then baking it for about a half hour on 350 The best part is my husband had eggs for the week.

I suggest trying this method without greasing the pan and use cupcake foils instead.
    Also try adding a tablespoon of water for every 3 egg whites. I havent tried this so i dont know if it will work.

Mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes are all good alternative toppers.
  • Ang108
    Options
    niteowl24 wrote: »
    What about hard boiled or poached eggs?
    Then there is no frying and you can just not eat the yolk.

I have made scramble eggs using muffin tins for my husband. I greased the inside of the tin, and poured about 6 scrambled eggs plus some added veggies like peppers or something like that (eggs are forgiving, you can add all sorts of different things) and then baking it for about a half hour on 350 The best part is my husband had eggs for the week.

I suggest trying this method without greasing the pan and use cupcake foils instead.
    Also try adding a tablespoon of water for every 3 egg whites. I havent tried this so i dont know if it will work.

Mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes are all good alternative toppers.

Thank you for all the tips.
    It looks to me like there might be no solution to my problem...lol. Someone suggested that it also might have to do with the fact that I live at 7750 feet altitude, which means I just have to accept slightly leathery omelettes and frittatas.
    Hard boiled or poached eggs are an option, but not if I am looking for ways to also eat some vegetables at the same time and especially if I really want an omelette and not hard boiled egg white....:o). Also, a couple of hard boiled egg whites are not exactly a meal for me.
    It's wonderful that you found an interesting way to make scrambled eggs for your husband. I am just a one-person household and don't want to send away for muffin tins and liners from abroad, because I live in a somewhat underdeveloped country, where US style baking is not known. Well, baking is not popular at all.
    I usually make scrambled eggs with veggies in about 5 minutes in a small pan. It ( at least for me ) uses less utensils and way less gas, which is very expensive here.
    Anyway, thank you and everyone else for taking the time to help me out. Maybe over time I will just get better at things or at least get used to those egg whites. Who knows, it might be that's just the way they turn out without the yolk and I just have to accept it. There are worse things in life than that.
    Thanks again !

• niteowl24
    niteowl24 Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

It looks to me like there might be no solution to my problem...lol. Someone suggested that it also might have to do with the fact that I live at 7750 feet altitude, which means I just have to accept slightly leathery omelettes and frittatas.
    Hard boiled or poached eggs are an option, but not if I am looking for ways to also eat some vegetables at the same time and especially if I really want an omelette and not hard boiled egg white....:o). Also, a couple of hard boiled egg whites are not exactly a meal for me.
    It's wonderful that you found an interesting way to make scrambled eggs for your husband. I am just a one-person household and don't want to send away for muffin tins and liners from abroad, because I live in a somewhat underdeveloped country, where US style baking is not known. Well, baking is not popular at all.
    I usually make scrambled eggs with veggies in about 5 minutes in a small pan. It ( at least for me ) uses less utensils and way less gas, which is very expensive here.
    Anyway, thank you and everyone else for taking the time to help me out. Maybe over time I will just get better at things or at least get used to those egg whites. Who knows, it might be that's just the way they turn out without the yolk and I just have to accept it. There are worse things in life than that.
    Thanks again !

I like pinterest for recipes. Its a good resource.
    You can search egg white omelette or clean eating protein and come with loads of ideas.

Maybe there are other options you havent thought of.
    I just take it for granted that everyone bakes haha.

I wish i had a better idea it seems like such a simple request.
  • Ang108
    Options
    niteowl24 wrote: »

Thanks again !

I like pinterest for recipes. Its a good resource.
    You can search egg white omelette or clean eating protein and come with loads of ideas.

Maybe there are other options you havent thought of.
    I just take it for granted that everyone bakes haha.

I wish i had a better idea it seems like such a simple request.

I don't need or want recipes, since I am doing perfectly ok in that area. I just wanted to know, if there was a trick in the preparation process to keep egg white omelettes/frittatas from getting leathery when they cool down.
    I appreciate all the time and effort people have spent to make suggestions re. recipes, but that was not my original question .
    Thanks everyone again !