The scale is a liar!

Options
AngInCanada
AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
I was so so so angry and frustrated the past few days. I've maintained or gained this entire week (week 3). Today is official weigh in day and I'm up 1/4 lb. Grrr ok, lets do measurements. Wow alright! Down 2.75" THIS week for a grand total of 17" in 21 days over my bust, waist, hips, thighs and arms. So the scale can just go and bite my skinnier butt! :wink:

Replies

• fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I lifted heavy on Friday, and now I am up 2 pounds. Water in my sore sore muscles.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    This is what I keep telling my friends. WEIGHT is only one metric by which to measure your progress. Who cares what you weigh as long as you are losing FAT? ;) And your clothes fit better? And your mood is improved? And you have tons of energy? And ...
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think the official name is Liar McLiarpants ;)
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Mine is such a liar. It told me it was remaining faithful but I caught it weighing my husband yesterday. So I don't believe a word it says!
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options

:D

• greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Mine is such a liar. It told me it was remaining faithful but I caught it weighing my husband yesterday. So I don't believe a word it says!

You gals slay me!!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Way to go on the inches lost! I don't have my totals ,but I've lost 3 inches in my waist in three weeks!
  • aspiedude
    aspiedude Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Get one that measure percentages of fat, water, and muscle... and then do the calculations for how each of those have changed. Much more informative.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Scales may lie, skinny jeans never lie. I've maintained scale weight ca 6 months. Down 2 sizes in jeans!
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Scales, they are only one way to measure. Did you see my photo in the NSV thread? Those pants went from not fitting to hugely too big with only a six pound drop from 286 to 280, which is nothing when you weigh that much. I could have a water flux that big and it wouldn't really matter on my physical size. If I wasn't wearing them I would never had believed it.
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    my scale only moves down once a month.. seriously, it will hover up and down the same 1-2 pounds a whole month and suddenly drop. I don't trust the scale I have anyway. I have no idea how much I really weigh. I have 2 scales and they are 5 kg different. I choose to believe the lower one :)
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I just never know what to think about my scales! Admittedly they are about 12 years old but they can vary AT THE SAME WEIGHING up to 1.5 kg difference within seconds. I now stand on and off as many times as it takes to get 3 readings the same!!! Sad I know and I am working on hubby to get new ones but (he may have a point but it's my way of monitoring things lol) he thinks I'm mad to a)weigh every day and b) not just accept the first weight! He has given up weighing and goes by clothes but he's at maintenance anyway!! :p
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    aspiedude wrote: »
    Get one that measure percentages of fat, water, and muscle... and then do the calculations for how each of those have changed. Much more informative.

I have one of these too but all I get for the body fat reading is 'Error-high'. One of my goals is to actually get low enough for it to give me a body fat reading. I know it works because hubby gets one. ..
  • SueM86
    SueM86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have scales that measure body fat too although I've heard from various different sources that they're not that reliable - especially for women and people who carry a lot of their weight in their lower half - apparently the electronic pulse (or whatever it is that measures you) runs up one leg and down the other - so it you're pear shaped then it will be a higher reading than if you're apple shaped. Also your rate of hydration can be another hugely influencing factor. Having said all that though I still think they're a good idea if only to give you readings that you can compare from one week to the next.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    The scale is just another tool in the toolbox that you can use for overall trending if you want, if you can do it without being obsessive. Otherwise its like having a little demon in your bathroom.
  • gemberly
    gemberly Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    SueM86 wrote: »
    I have scales that measure body fat too although I've heard from various different sources that they're not that reliable - especially for women and people who carry a lot of their weight in their lower half - apparently the electronic pulse (or whatever it is that measures you) runs up one leg and down the other - so it you're pear shaped then it will be a higher reading than if you're apple shaped. Also your rate of hydration can be another hugely influencing factor.

I have this type of scale, and my trainer measured my BF with a hand held device and said the same thing you stated. The difference for me was less than 2%.

A scale or a blood pressure cuff or a thermometer, even, has its own baseline. So even if it is inaccurate, generally it can give you a change from baseline so you know whether your efforts are working over time. That's how I approach those tools as a nurse.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I agree with gemberly. I weigh myself at home for my MFP measurements. My doctor's scale is off by a few pounds from mine, but I will let what I weigh at his office be the "scale" for him, while I will use my home scale to be my tool. Either way, both should show a loss over time (I hope!).
    Same goes for my BG meter. Mine differs from the one they use at the doctor, but I was told just to use it to check for variances not absolute value. I am told there really isn't a "perfect" meter out there. Is my BG really 130 and not 120? That would require a more sophisticated lab test, I suppose.