Low carb snack ideas

Options
ellbearns
ellbearns Posts: 4 Member
Everyone seems to have their own low carb snacks. Wondering if everyone would share what they rely on. It is easy to get tired of the same old things day in day out.

Replies

• ellbearns
    ellbearns Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just yesterday, I tried a new thing. 1 cup ricotta cheese (part skim), 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp vanilla, sugar twin. You can mix this together and have chilled or heat up in microwave. I actually really enjoyed it.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Almonds*
    peanuts*
    cheese cut into one oz portions
    bacon
    deviled eggs
    plain hard boiled eggs

* yes, I do actually weigh out and only eat the one oz serves ;)
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Almonds with sharp cheddar cheese is my fav, also hunter sausage, pickles, pepperoni, cheese crisps, pork rinds......
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    1 oz of nuts (esp. Macadamias)
    pork rinds with salsa or guacamole
    chicken thighs or drumsticks
    cheese with berries
  • MistressPi
    Options
    also celery stuffed with pâté or cream cheese
  • MistressPi
    Options
    also celery stuffed with pâté or cream cheese
    nori snacks
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    ooh yep, forgot about pork rinds and beef jerky.

Those are my "gas station/7-11" go to if I was out longer, or need more snacks.
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My favorite is pepperoni and/or pickles. :) I love cheese but have to limit it.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Babybels and almonds are my staples. This weekend I'm gonna try making bacon jerky.
  • Artemis68
    Artemis68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just discovered peanut butter fat bombs. 1c coconut oil, .5c peanut butter, 6tblsp Cocoa, sweeten to taste (I use 3 Splenda packets). Microwave for 30 secs at a time till melted. Pour in ice cube tray with sprinkles of slivered almonds or macadamia nuts in them. Put them in the freezer till hardened. Enjoy!

I found mini ice cube trays at the dollar store that are perfect. Store in the freezer or they'll melt.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Artemis68 wrote: »
    Just discovered peanut butter fat bombs. 1c coconut oil, .5c peanut butter, 6tblsp Cocoa, sweeten to taste (I use 3 Splenda packets). Microwave for 30 secs at a time till melted. Pour in ice cube tray with sprinkles of slivered almonds or macadamia nuts in them. Put them in the freezer till hardened. Enjoy!

I found mini ice cube trays at the dollar store that are perfect. Store in the freezer or they'll melt.

That sounds good and I have all the ingredients. I'm going to try this when I get home today
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Babybels and almonds are my staples. This weekend I'm gonna try making bacon jerky.

I brought Babybels for the first time since I have started eating this way and all the carb eaters love them and eat them before I get a chance!
  • SazzySuze
    SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds, cheese, cream cheese clouds, pepperoni
  • Artemis68
    Artemis68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    SazzySuze wrote: »
    Pork rinds, cheese, cream cheese clouds, pepperoni

What are cream cheese clouds? They sound yummy!
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Spencer 's salmon pinwheels. Fish department.
  • MistressPi
    Options

Don't ya just love those Babybels? They are soooo good!

All the advice I've read about making jerky stresses that one should use lean meat and remove as much visible fat as possible because fat makes the jerky spoil much faster.

I would use beef to make my jerky, but that's me. I would never use pork to do so - I would worry about trichinosis. According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine,

"When a person eats meat from an infected animal, Trichinella cysts break open in the intestine and grow into adult roundworms. The roundworms produce other worms that move through the gut wall and into the bloodstream. The worms invade muscle tissues, including the heart and diaphragm (the breathing muscle under the lungs). They can also infect the lungs and brain. The cysts remain alive for years...."

[snip]

"Pork and meat from wild animals should be cooked until well done (no traces of pink). Freezing pork at subzero temperatures (5°F - 15°C, or colder) for 3 to 4 weeks will kill the worms. Freezing wild game meat does not always kill the worms. Smoking, salting, and drying meat are also not reliable methods of killing the worms." (emphasis mine)

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000631.htm
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I don't really like snacking, but salami and brie are nice snacks.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm almost cured of my snacking, but I do have little 50g pots of pate and 40g tubs of cream cheese sometimes. Also the odd bag of Nobby's pork crackling. I like to put cream cheese on the pork crackling :)

I also make my own beef jerky. About 1.5kg of lean beef a week - but my partner loves it also and won't leave it alone.
  • MistressPi
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    I'm almost cured of my snacking, but I do have little 50g pots of pate and 40g tubs of cream cheese sometimes. Also the odd bag of Nobby's pork crackling. I like to put cream cheese on the pork crackling :)

I also make my own beef jerky. About 1.5kg of lean beef a week - but my partner loves it also and won't leave it alone.

I am curious: do you use any sweetener at all in your jerky? Is the end product very brittle? All commercial brands I have seen use either sugar or honey, but I think this also makes the jerky a little more pliable and easier to chew.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    No sugar. Just sugar free bbq sauce, paprika, garlic powder, chilli powder, a fair bit of salt. I marinade overnight, then pop it single layer in the oven on it's lowest setting (about 90 degrees Celsius in mine) for 3 hours each side (6 hours total). I don't have fancy appliances but I suppose you could use one of those dryer things. If your jerky is dry and brittle you over dried it.